PDA

View Full Version : Chickamauga Lake

Fishbus
11-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Two-fold mission had me in Chattanooga this weekend to see my middle son's band competition and trade kayaks with a guy from Athens, GA., so may as well try the new yak out on Chickamauga.

I guess it was about 30 degrees at 930am when we put in at Eldridge Ramp. My Chattanooga friend Colby, and Will, who I traded yaks with.

It was slow in the morning, and windy. It warmed and calmed as the day went on. It wasn't great fishing for that area as far as Colby says, but we all caught a few fish and a variety.

Personally I got one each of bluegill, crappie and white bass with a few baby spots and, thankfully, my PB spotted bass.

Also got to spend the day on my new-to-me Jackson Big Rig.

Billyhttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/02/2e485ed9665a9a5dd96dfa49265f1f67.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/02/e06cdf9e301ae91a7d3f159905636778.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/02/04cb6ac48f22443ed0d6fe47b4d03f0e.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/02/7f88e9b8b54a3f44831f240f90c2c203.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
11-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Congrats on your new boat and the fish.

Regards

FOXZILLA
11-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Good lookin boat!!! Is that your first sit on top?

Fishbus
11-03-2014, 10:00 AM
No Fox, had a Big Tuna before.

Billy

MNfisher
11-03-2014, 01:08 PM
What are your thoughts on the Big Rig vs. the Tuna? Nice catches!

Mike

Fishbus
11-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Mike:

My take is from that of a single operator of either boat, because obviously if you want a two-seater, you get the Tuna.

Big Tuna Pros:

Tuna Tank, The Big Rig does not have the quick access live well for bait/catches.

Turning/Control, The rounded bottom of the Tuna vs. the flatter bottom of the Big Rig seems to allow faster/easier control.

Day Hatch, The quick "tupperware" dry storage in front is perfect for keys/wallet/phone without accessing a big hatch/bungees.

Big Rig Pros:

Rod Storage, The horizontal storage layout is way better, and I prefer the bazooka tubes as opposed to the recessed rod holders on the tuna.

Stability/Seating, I rarely used the high seat in the Tuna, but I used it automatically in the Big Rig. Very comfortable. I also like being seated closer to the bow than I normally am in the Tuna. Felt I had better visibility of water in front of me and less obstacles to fishing, less things to snag on/get tangled in. I did not try much standing, but I was never comfortable doing it in the Tuna. The Rig is more stable and has the grab bar as well. I'll probably try it out more in the summer months.

Mounts for electronics/rod holders, Rig has them, Tuna does not.

General storage, Plano box slots on the Rig are nicer than the generic bungees on the Tuna. Two big hatches with hard lids and bungees on the Rig vs. the "tupperware" lid on the Tuna. While I like that soft lid on the front of the Tuna, the big back one was starting to rip on me. Also like the bungees for lashing random stuff down.

EVEN:

Speed seems the same to me. Might take the Rig a little long to come to speed, but cruising speeds/effort seems the same.

Length is the same. Rig is wider and "flatter" than the Tuna which affected some of my storage and transport conditions.

OVERALL:

If you are fishing by yourself and never have need to take a partner/kid, I like the Big Rig. If you need a second seat, the Big Tuna is a very good two person platform that is adaptable to one person.

Thanks,

Billy

What are your thoughts on the Big Rig vs. the Tuna? Nice catches!

Mike

bfish
11-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Enjoyed the review, very nicely done.

FOXZILLA
11-03-2014, 09:37 PM
I like to stand up and fish. Is there a difference in stability?
Donnie

Fishbus
11-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks bfish.

Fox, I find the Big Rig more stable. it's wider and its hull is designed to resist rocking like a pontoon boat does with its floatation on the outsides. The hull protrudes as deep into the water on the edges as it does at its keel.

The Tuna's hull has a rounder shape, its keel line is its deepest point, like a canoe, so naturally more prone to rock side to side.

Billy

MNfisher
11-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks! I can't imagine a boat more stable than my Tuna. I find it extremely stable.

Mike

FOXZILLA
11-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Thanks fishbus. I think this is the boat Joel at Big Rock Mkt was telling me was more stable than a sup.