PDA

View Full Version : Blue Cat Lake 10/22/2014

Alphahawk
10-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Hit Williamsport early this morning and fished Blue Cat from the bank....a little too much wind for me in the kayak. Caught a ton of crappie, shell cracker, and Gills. I decided to measure the crappie today just to see how many would be legal. To my surprise several dozen were legal. But as the board shows...just barely. So I guess for those fishing there and wanting to take home some legal crappie one could do it....but they sure don't compare with the crappie from JPP.....Nickajack....Kentucky Lake. The crappie were straight out from the bank all along the dam. If you wanted to stay in one spot you could have caught all the crappie you wanted but I was moving looking for shell cracker. The shell cracker were up close to the bank all along the dam and the rocky banks. The Gills were out deeper with the crappie. All the fish were caught on a Bison colored Trout Magnet on a 1/16 ounce jig head using 2# test line. You won't catch a bunch of 8-9 inch Gills out of Blue Cat but you will catch a bunch of 7 inch fish with a really good girth. I caught one cross.....part Gill and part shell cracker. It is the 7 inch fish on the board that looks like a short fat shell cracker...but it is a cross between the two specie. It was a great morning with a lot of fish caught. The Gills and shell cracker putting up a good fight. Will probably put kayak in tomorrow morning.....weather calls for light wind tomorrow....and fish one more day before heading up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Life is good!

Regards

Reel Tune
10-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Makes me itch for some panfishing, thanks

Travis C.
10-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Nice!

I just placed my order for more trout magnets and some chartreuse heads to try out. I wish there was a place close to me to buy bulk of the white but so far only have found BPro sells the black bulk pack. Don't mind ordering them but sometimes in a pinch its good to having something close by as well.

Looks like I finally got dad to go 2lb. He has been kind of reluctant to go there instead would use the 2lb dia braid which I kept telling him isn't the same. Now, I will show him what they can really do. ;)

XxthejuicexX
10-23-2014, 09:32 AM
I am with you Travis, I wish I had a location here that actually had a decent stock of TM'S and CM'S. I need to place an order online at some point.

Alphahawk
10-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Makes me itch for some panfishing, thanks

Yeah the shell cracker bite is on. I have to take a trip and will be gone for a week. I hate it as I think I could get some 12-14 inch ones up at Center Hill. Hopefully will still be on first part of November. Today was my last day to fish before I head out. Got into some more shell crackers and a lot of crappie......not slabs but legal anyway. The shell crackers today were 8-10 inches. Best of luck on your Lake Fork Tourney.

Regards

Alphahawk
10-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Nice!

I just placed my order for more trout magnets and some chartreuse heads to try out. I wish there was a place close to me to buy bulk of the white but so far only have found BPro sells the black bulk pack. Don't mind ordering them but sometimes in a pinch its good to having something close by as well.

Looks like I finally got dad to go 2lb. He has been kind of reluctant to go there instead would use the 2lb dia braid which I kept telling him isn't the same. Now, I will show him what they can really do. ;)

That chartreuse works pretty good. No rhyme or reason as to why some Bass Pro have a big supply and yet others have very few or none. The Memphis store keeps a big supply of them.....the crappie guys there love them. Yet in Nashville you never know what you will find. Yeah I think when your dad starts using 2# test mono it will change things.

Regards

riverhawkluke
10-23-2014, 03:24 PM
I have never found a good stock of the bulk packs anywhere in Nashville. BPS has some bulk packs but in colors I do not use very often. The academy in cool springs usually has a decent stock of the TM cranks, but not much else. You can usually find the kits at both locations, but I prefer bulk packs.

chrisntab
10-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Walking through bait shop today I Came across some Crappie Magnets in Bison color and snatched a few packs. Seen Alpha post so many times I am like got to be a $1.99 well spent

TNtroller
10-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Good pics of some good fish.

Might as well just order 'em from CM, shipping is cheaper than gas to drive to BPS, etc., just have to keep up with your inventory supply a little bit better. LOL. :p

creekcrappie
10-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Great report Mr Randy!

Alphahawk
10-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Great report Mr Randy!

Thanks Isaac. Haven't seen any fishing reports from you in a while. You still fishing?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk