PDA

View Full Version : Williamsport 10/20/2014

Alphahawk
10-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Spent the whole day out at Blue Cat Lake at Williamsport today. Had a ball with 125 fish landed. I had 7 shell crackers and the rest was divided up between crappie and Gills. Most of my Gills were 7 inches long and had a good girth. The crappie were all about 10 inches...I measured 6 of those things. They have good shoulders...but on the HOOK1 Hawg Trough they were all about a credit card thickness short of 10 inches....LOL. You could pinch the tail good and get some of them legal but it would have been a toss up as to how a game warden would read it...LOL. I wasn't keeping fish anyway so it didn't matter. Every time I go out there using the si unit I am amazed at how many crappie are in that lake. It is just beyond belief. I am posting a pic of Gills on the bottom in about 10 feet of water....and a lot of crappie pics. Just a fun day with the kayak. For those interested the hybrids were busting top water today...quite a bit of them. The water temps were around 66-67 in most places. The water is almost tannic color. All fish were caught on a Bison colored Trout Magnet using 2# test SOS Line. The Gills....and a lot of the crappie...are hanging around the dam. If you are out about 25 feet from the dam they are on that line if in a boat or kayak. If you fish the bank cast straight out from the bank and twitch back. On the pic ...Mega Crappie...I have circled some large fish hanging around the crappie almost on the bottom....plus you can pick out some bigger fish in some of the other shots also.

Regards

CrappieMan
10-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Sounds like you had a fun day... Are you catching them on the tm jighead or were those on a tungsten head? I'd like to get some of those tungsten heads if you can put me in the right direction

Alphahawk
10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Sounds like you had a fun day... Are you catching them on the tm jighead or were those on a tungsten head? I'd like to get some of those tungsten heads if you can put me in the right direction

I was catching the crappie on a 1/16 ounce jig head with a #8 hook. A lot of the Gills came on same TM but with a 3/32 ounce jig head with a #8 hook. I did that to get under the crappie. They were all over the place. I still have several tungsten jig heads and only use them for special occasions...too expensive. As for steering you toward the tungsten jig world that business is more shady than drug dealers...LOL. This place is legit though and sell the real thing.

https://www.sportsmensdirect.com/store/index.php?cPath=23_68_64

Regards

XxthejuicexX
10-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Once you go tungsten, you will not look back. I hate paying for the tungsten bullet sinkers but would never buy lead again.

Alphahawk
10-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Once you go tungsten, you will not look back. I hate paying for the tungsten bullet sinkers but would never buy lead again.

I've been singing it's praises for a couple of years now.......but I will lose over 500 jigs a year the way I fish and as much as I fish. If I had the money it would be all I would use. You can feel a crappie thump or Gill hit all the way up your shoulder.....LOL.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
10-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Forgot to mention the hatchery truck dumped 25,000 shell cracker today. Now I don't know how many of those will make it to adults as they looked like perfect forage for all those big bass in there.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jad2t
10-21-2014, 10:53 PM
The Hybrids will drive you crazy in there. Last time I went was a couple weeks ago, fished Bluecat and caught a handful of bass as well as one small Hybrid on a crankbait. 45 minutes before sundown the Hybrids started busting shad clear out of the water. Me and another guy threw swimbaits, jerkbaits, topwaters, constantly and not even a sniff.