PDA

View Full Version : Priest Sunday

tennarl
10-19-2014, 10:08 PM
True to my word, I avoided upper end and ventured out of Smith Springs -- first time fishing below Poole Knob. Of course like a completely different lake and didn't find much top water/depth finder commotion. Threw a spook everywhere...nothing. Threw an A-rig everywhere...nothing. Threw a fluke on a scrounger everywhere nothing. Nearly flat-lined on copenhagen and boredom, I somehow sank in to this one -- the only fish, bite, nibble of the day. Out of my element, I shall return to the comforts of Fate Sanders next weekend. Godspeed.

Sorry for rogue thumb.

jprism
10-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Won't be long and you and a few fishermen will be the only ones on the lake...dress warm :)

ThrillSeeker
10-20-2014, 06:21 AM
I know the feeling, Tennarl.

Yesterday was a high pressure bluebird sky day with a Northeast wind. I had more fun running the boat than fishing.

We started fishing the docks and 4 Corners Marina, ran to Suggs Creek, and finished at Hamilton creek. We marked suspending fish at the 12 foot depth in 20+ feet of water but could only get a couple of white bass to bite.

Don't give up on the lower end of the lake, yet. Remember that the lake record largemouth bass was caught out of Smith Springs creek. :)

Alphahawk
10-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Nice fish.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinwheeled
10-20-2014, 08:20 AM
You're spot on about the upper and lower end being like fishing two different lakes. Don't give up on the lower end though. There are plenty of big fish down that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tennarl
10-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Biggest difference was the lack of structure according to my $150 finder. Lot of areas looked like the bottom of a swimming pool -- no bait fish either outside of suspended areas in the channel. My success on Priest has typically come from shallow flats adjacent to the channel. Seems like the upper end has more "stuff" be it rocks, humps, changes in depth -- and a more confined area. Now much of this has to do with me never fishing lower end. That fish came in that shallow cove on the east side of Hole In the Wall Island. No doubt up to feed with extremely deep water nearby.

TNBronzeback
10-20-2014, 11:58 AM
I was at long hunter last night playing with a new camera and the boat ramp area was lighting up with bait and plenty of fish surface activity, and some were some very sizable splashes and boils. Some ran shad right up the ramp. Wishing i had a rod with me instead of a camera. Lol

Heiny57
10-21-2014, 08:34 AM
We went Sunday from 9:30 till noon. Put in at Hamilton creek fished west of hole in wall island in open water around 28 ft. They shut off about 11 so we ran to 7 points for awhile. Caught 25 assorted fish. 2 Crappie, 2 gills, 2 whites, one 16" Hybrid I lost taking a pic. LOL The rest yellows.

For some reason I can't attach pics

Heiny57
10-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Well one took LOL