PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick Tailrace

Alphahawk
10-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Lots of water today but my intended targets today were nowhere to be found. Spent about 2 hours fishing after I climbed down the rocks. All I caught there were drum. I was armed with a rod strung with 6# test and one with 17# test. I was ready for some big whites and schooling stripers. The sidewalk is a good 6 feet under water with them spilling 118,000 CFS. Usually when they let that much water go this time of year the whites and stripers stack up below the dam.....along with Smallies....large mouth.....everything....but today they were either not biting or not there. I threw many types of baits today but no hits except for the drum on soft plastic shad baits and Crappie Magnets. With my tail tucked between my legs I crawled up the rocks and decided to search the lake for some fish. None of my normal spots gave up anything. So I just started walking banks. I was ready to come home and tried one more spot. Finally some fish. Though not the size I wanted it certainly made me feel a little better about the trip. The Gills were only 6-7 inches long and the Smallies were 7-8 inches. I caught 51 fish...just about half of them the little Smallies. Certainly nothing to brag about but it beat being skunked. Thank goodness for UL fishing. My spots are just not producing as they did this time last year. I will keep trying.

Regards

MNfisher
10-15-2014, 08:55 PM
That's crazy the whites and stripers aren't there!

Mike

Alphahawk
10-15-2014, 09:15 PM
That's crazy the whites and stripers aren't there!

Mike

Yes it is. I ran into folks I see in fall and early spring down there today. They live all over and are retired, come with their RV's when they see the water up like that just to catch whites. Lots of locals showed up there today looking for whites also. Maybe it is a little too early....I don't know. I have to get a tooth worked on tomorrow but am thinking about going back Friday. They are going to cut back the flow on Friday but will still be plenty of water.

Regards