PDA

View Full Version : "Schoolies" at Pickwick

Alphahawk
10-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Got up early this morning to hit a window of no storms at Pickwick. The stripers were schooling in the generator outlets. I caught 31. Kept expecting to get some 10 pound fish but all were right at same year class....about 18 inches. They would start busting top at boil number 6 and then as if they were herding the shad would feed on top all the way down to the first boil. Wait about 5 minutes and it would start all over again. I would usually hook up at the second outlet and the fish would head for the area between boil number one and two. A lot of fun on 6# test line. I used a Killer Klatt Crappie Magnet on a 1/4 ounce jig head with a #http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/13/a076c9b06291b602cd16e03c8d2b2f0e.jpg2 steel hook. No one else on catwalk but me. I don't fish the catwalk but if it is pretty much empty I will take advantage of a great spot. No white bass at all....which is what I was trying to target. But a good time anyway. Should have stayed all day but didn't want to get caught in between Pickwick and home with the storms coming. If there is a good window tomorrow will go back as they are running 68,000 CFS all day. Life is good.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
10-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Looks like I left at right time. Just issued a tornado warning for Pickwick.

Regards

TroutFiend
10-13-2014, 03:45 PM
I bet that was a blast hopefully you can find the whites tomorrow. If not, hey you know what will be there. Are you catching them right under the surface? Also, how long of a drive is that from your new place?

Alphahawk
10-13-2014, 03:51 PM
I bet that was a blast hopefully you can find the whites tomorrow. If not, hey you know what will be there. Are you catching them right under the surface? Also, how long of a drive is that from your new place?

Yeah just under the surface.....and they hit it hard. Not the stripers on the Cumberland system but on light tackle a ball. It is a 2 hour drive from Spring Hill.

Regards

RUGER
10-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Sounds like an awesome time.

Alphahawk
10-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Upping flow at Pickwick to 90,000 starting at midnight and to 100,000 CFS starting Wednesday. This could make for some epic fishing if I can get down rocks to the water. The sidewalk will be underwater and fish really like to run it.

Regards

MNfisher
10-13-2014, 09:15 PM
I need to go!!! Congrats Randy!

Mike

Alphahawk
10-13-2014, 09:21 PM
I need to go!!! Congrats Randy!

Mike

Thanks Mike.....was no major release of water this time last year. I plan on fishing it everyday except Thursday...have to get a crown...I sure dread that. But that much water could really turn on the fish. I'm hoping!

Regards

Travis C.
10-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Man those things are fun in that size. They are fun in any size but when you can get into them like that cast after cast fish pulling drag its a blast.

nomad60
10-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Sounds like you had a blast, Alpha. Hope you get into them all week.

Tnriverluver
10-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Even better when it isn't elbow to elbow on the catwalk. Looks like you had a good time!!!

Alphahawk
10-14-2014, 05:43 PM
It was great yesterday. The water was absolutely perfect for catching fish today.....but they weren't there. Didn't see a single fish bust the surface. Maybe post cold front....don't know but know I have re-spooled and will get up at 4:45 a.m. and head that way again. Even more water tomorrow. Went up to lake and caught one long, skinny Smallie, and a drum that had to be 10 pounds....caught both on 2# test line.

Regards

riverhawkluke
10-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Nice drum!

XxthejuicexX
10-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Man, how long did it take to get that drum in? I still find it impressive you catch most of these fish on 2 pound.

Alphahawk
10-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Man, how long did it take to get that drum in? I still find it impressive you catch most of these fish on 2 pound.

Took a long time....LOL. Patience really is the key to getting bigger fish in like that...and a good drag and line. No way I can do that below the dam though. Even white bass only a pound or so in all that current takes forever...if at all. For the first 10 seconds with the drum I thought I had something good...then it sets in what you have. Thought about just breaking it off but just wanted to see if I could land it. Hope the whites or stripers are there tomorrow.

Regards

agelesssone
10-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Alpha, you do more driving in a week than I do in a month!

Alphahawk
10-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Alpha, you do more driving in a week than I do in a month!

I do a lot that's for sure. It doesn't always pay off either. Today was a bust for what I went after. The stripers and white bass are usually stacked below Pickwick with a big water release. But the past two days I came up empty on those. But I did finally find a few fish up in the lake....but my target specie was a complete bust.

Regards

agelesssone
10-15-2014, 07:33 PM
I went below Old Hickory for awhile this afternoon just to see what it was like.
I cast in front of the generators for an hour without a bite.
That water is really rolling!

Alphahawk
10-15-2014, 07:40 PM
I went below Old Hickory for awhile this afternoon just to see what it was like.
I cast in front of the generators for an hour without a bite.
That water is really rolling!

Merv I read what TK said about the stripers not being there when they let that much water go. Is it always muddy when they open the gates like that? Pickwick remains pretty clear releasing 100,000 CFS and I have seen it at 200,000 CFS but even then the water would be just stained. Most of the time below Pickwick the greater the water the better the fishing. I guess that is the difference between the two systems.....and the Cumberland has monster stripers and Pickwick has their baby brothers.

Regards