PDA

View Full Version : KBFTN Championship

Reel Tune
10-09-2014, 08:31 AM
This weekend we will host our last regularly scheduled event at Natchez Trace State Park. This is a two day 5 fish tournament practicing catch photo and release.

Date: October 11th&12th

Location: Natchez Trace State Park Lexington, TN 38351 (731) 968-6310

· Pre-Registration begins Friday October 10th 6pm and will continue until 8pm at Pin Oak Cabin 601
· Final Registration – Saturday 5:30am to 6am, and Captains meeting will follow shortly at the shelter at Browns Creek Lake at 6am. After the Captain’s meeting you will be released to fish.
http://tnstateparks.com/assets/pdf/additional-content/park-maps/natchez-trace_park-map.pdf (http://tnstateparks.com/assets/pdf/additional-content/park-maps/natchez-trace_park-map.pdf)

· You may only fish Cub Creek Lake, Browns Creek Lake and Pin Oak Lake “Pin Oak Lake, and Browns Creek Lake both Require a Permit”. The permit for Pin Oak Lake can be obtained Day or annual lake use permits may be purchased at the inn. The Permit for Browns Creek Lake can be purchased at the Park Office.
· Park Office (I-40 Exit 116 south of I-40 approx 3 miles on Natchez Trace Road
· Pin Oak Inn on the north west side of Pin Oak Lake on the upper end of Pin Oak Lake (114 South Left on Pin Oak Lodge Road, left on Pin Oak Lodge Lane).
· Entry Fee is $30 with optional $10 Big Bass

Fishing Times:

· You may begin fishing Saturday morning after being released from the Captain’s meeting.
· Sunday you may begin fishing at 6am.

Check-In Location and Times:

· Saturday Check-In is at 5:30pm at Pin Oak Lake Cabin 601
· Sunday 12:30pm at the pavilion at Browns Creek Lake
· Awards at 1:30pm at Browns Creek Lake

Tommyboy
10-10-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm hoping that I can fish with you guys next year. I hope you guys have a good weekend, and everyone stays safe.

tennesseekeith
10-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks everyone that made this event fun. Good people and great fishing. I'm looking forward to next year. I'll be gunning for the top.

Reel Tune
10-14-2014, 03:18 AM
Thanks to the 8 guys who made it out. We dodged some bad weather and had a great weekend. I think everyone hung out at our Villa and most brought food and drinks to share. Thanks to Tennesseekeith for the delicious deer meat.

Natchez Trace State Park is a great place. The Villas were clean, and the staff was very accommodating. The restaurant had good food and great service.

Saturday we had heavy threats of severe weather and this is the worst of a Tournament Director. We had no cell service at the State Park so I told everyone if you see lightening get off the water immediately and meet back at the Villa. We were very lucky and only got a constant light rain with very little wind. Saturday we fished for almost 10 hours. This is a 2day five fish limit practicing catch photo and release. All lakes were open to fish (Pin Oak Lake, Cub Lake and Browns Creek Lake).

Everyone caught their 5 fish the first day. Some people caught more than 25 bass the first day so catching was good.

Day 1 Results (5 Fish)
Jeremy Meier 90.75" (16.0", 21.75", 20.0", 15.5", 17.5")
Ron Champion 77.0" (12.5", 18.0", 23.25", 12.75", 10.5")
Keith Herbert 71.0" (12.25", 12.75", 17.0", 13.5", 15.5")
Gage Wetzel 70.5" (10.75", 12.0", 9.5", 16.5", 21.75")
Shae McCord 69.25" (11.75", 13.25", 14.0", 14.25", 16.0")
Sarah Meier 64.25" (10.75", 20.25", 11.75", 10.25", 11.25")
Mike Mclean 58.25" (13.0", 11.5", 11.0", 12.0", 10.75")
Craig Dye 51.75" (11.0", 10.5", 10.75", 10.0", 9.5")

After day one I had a great lead at 13.75", and I felt very comfortable, and figured I would do the same thing Sunday as I did Saturday. My goal was to replace a 15.5", and a 16" fish with at least (2) 17" or 18" fish to jump me up to around 95" because I knew this is where I would need to be. Sunday was only 5 hours of fishing and it was anyones game.

Sunday started off with a drizzle and then the skies mostly cleared and there was no wind, the lakes were like glass. My plan was not going to schedule and I was getting nervous. I herd of some big bass being caught, but just thought it was some false banter to get me worked up. I kept my calm and kept plugging away. I was starting to get worried because all I was catching were 14" to 15" bass and I needed at least one bass larger than 15.5", and another over 16" to upgrade just a little. Well 20 minutes to go before I have to leave the lake and I start catching some bass consistently but nothing to upgrade and then a few crappie so I know I've found fish. Then BAM I stick a good fish and he has my All Pro 7'11 Med action Cranking Blaster bent good and ripping line from my Curado 201G6 spooled with 10lb test. I know I can't muscle this fish in and he pulls probably 15 yards of line while pulling me 20 yards. I finally get over him and get the net ready and clear all debris and gear from my deck because I know I have one shot at this fish. By this time I had planned at being at the ramp and loading my gear and I see Sarah already at the ramp loading her gear. My heart is racing and all I can think about is this fish I have at the end of my line and I'm thinking 25" maybe 26" and it has to be a 10# fish. This could win me the tournament and big bass a good paycheck for plastic boat fishing. He starts to come to the surface slowly and there she is an 11lb 28.75" Blue Cat. My heart drops and it's over no upgrade for the day.

Some of the guys had a great day two and here are the day 2 results

Shae McCord 77.5" (16.0", 21.5", 20.25", 20.0")
Gage Wetzel 44.25" (16.25", 14.25", 13.75")
Keith Herbert 42.25" (14.0", 15.0", 13.25")
Sarah Meier 12.75" (12.75")
Craig Dye 12.25" (12.25")
Mike Mclean 12.0" (12.0")
Jeremy Meier 0"
Ron Champion 0"

Final Results

1st Shae McCord 93.75" (16.0", 21.5", 20.25", 20.0")
2nd Jeremy Meier 90.75" (16.0", 21.75", 20.0", 15.5", 17.5")
3rd Gage Wetzel 82.5" (16.5", 21.75", 16.25", 14.25", 13.25")
4th Ron Champion 77.0" (12.5", 18.0", 23.25", 12.75", 10.5")
5th Keith Herbert 71.0" (17.0", 13.5", 15.5", 14.0", 15.0")
6th Sarah Meier 66.75" (20.75", 12.75", 11.75", 11.25", 10.75")
7th Mike Mclean 59.5" (13.0", 11.5", 11.0", 12.0", 12.0")
8th Craig Dye 54.5" (11.0", 10.5", 10.75", 10.0", 12.25")

Shae McCord won 1st place with 93.75" giving him an 18.75" average. He killed it the second day connecting with a particular pattern, and sticking with it. Sunday in the short time we had to fish he caught 3 fish over 20"

Ron Champion won big bass with a 23.25" absolute slob.

Gage Wetzel finished 3rd and caught his personal best largemouth at 21.75"

I took 2nd with a stellar 1st day, and disappointing 2nd day.

It was a great time with fishing, food, and fellowship.

I have been blessed with such a great family in the fishing community, and Kayak Bass Fishing will continue to grow.

No is where we start working on the 2015 schedule to add more events, we will start taking our events on the road all over the state and out-of-state with different kinds of events. Now to start working on sponsorship packages for 2015, this is something new to us. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts about the 2015 season please share. Right now the schedule is at 20 events for 2015. Throughout the winter I will be working on cleaning up KBFTN, painting baits, cleaning and super tuning reels and then my regular 60hr a week job.

jad2t
10-14-2014, 09:35 AM
That's just incredible to catch 3 20+" fish in the same day, let alone on the last day of a tournament!

I've caught 4 over the entire year and they've all been spread apart! I can't imagine the feeling he had.

That sucks about the big cat, they do tend to hit crankbaits from time to time and make you think you have a monster bass on the other end. I'm still pleasantly surprised how many big bass were caught this weekend by only 8 anglers. This lake is definitely on my list of lakes to visit. Probably won't have a chance to get out there before the Fall bite ends and I'll spend Winter in the woods hunting but a Spring trip out that way is very likely.

You know what might be cool? During the April-sometimes into early May Hybrid bite we have a tournament for them on JPP. That could be a lot of fun.

Travis C.
10-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Those lakes down there are beautiful. Seems like everyone caught quality fish and had a good time with suspect weather.

I have a suggestion for all events to be within 15 mins drive from my work so that I can fish them all next year. :D

Me and Chris talked this morning how it would be fun yet pretty challenging to have one on Dale but logistically may be difficult.

browntrout
10-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Great write up Jeremy. Sounds like y'all had a blast.

Roy

Reel Tune
10-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Next Year's Venues

Dale Hollow
Center Hill
Kentucky Lake
Guntersville
Wheeler Lake
Cumberland River
Stones River
Harpeth River
Duck River

Maybe

Chickamauga
Reelfoot
Hatchie River

XxthejuicexX
10-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Next Year's Venues

Dale Hollow
Center Hill
Kentucky Lake
Guntersville
Wheeler Lake
Cumberland River
Stones River
Harpeth River
Duck River

Maybe

Chickamauga
Reelfoot
Hatchie River

I really want to get in on these tournaments, those listed will be a blast. I'm going to start saving for the lure 13.5.

MNfisher
10-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Next Year's Venues

Dale Hollow
Center Hill
Kentucky Lake
Guntersville
Wheeler Lake
Cumberland River
Stones River
Harpeth River
Duck River

Maybe

Chickamauga
Reelfoot
Hatchie River

I like it, gotta save for gas! No priest or Old hickory?

Mike

Alphahawk
10-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Glad the tourney was a big success. It is a testament to expertise of all who fished the tourney. The numbers and size of fish caught is superb for those lakes. I used to live about 45 minutes from there and fished them regularly.....even going back off and on over the years since I came back to middle TN. They can be tough lakes to crack.

Regards

tkwalker
10-14-2014, 11:31 PM
Glad the tourney was a big success. It is a testament to expertise of all who fished the tourney. The numbers and size of fish caught is superb for those lakes. I used to live about 45 minutes from there and fished them regularly.....even going back off and on over the years since I came back to middle TN. They can be tough lakes to crack.

Regards

Like Randy !! Congrats Jeremy on a successful yak Tourney series ... If anyone could accomplish this feat my money would always be on you ..,.

I would have liked to have attended some of your events But my Medical setbacks this summer has delayed a lot of my scheduled plans and my personal business ...

I am looking forward in helping you with your future endeavors with our wounded veterans ... <'TK>< :)

Reel Tune
10-15-2014, 03:30 AM
I like it, gotta save for gas! No priest or Old hickory?

Mike

Priest and Old Hickory will be during the week. We will be working on the schedule for the next few weeks to see what we can come up with. These are the lakes we would like to add to cater to those who don't have tournaments near them and show them how much fun it can be.

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the good words.

Reel Tune
10-15-2014, 03:47 AM
That's just incredible to catch 3 20+" fish in the same day, let alone on the last day of a tournament!

I've caught 4 over the entire year and they've all been spread apart! I can't imagine the feeling he had.

That sucks about the big cat, they do tend to hit crankbaits from time to time and make you think you have a monster bass on the other end. I'm still pleasantly surprised how many big bass were caught this weekend by only 8 anglers. This lake is definitely on my list of lakes to visit. Probably won't have a chance to get out there before the Fall bite ends and I'll spend Winter in the woods hunting but a Spring trip out that way is very likely.

You know what might be cool? During the April-sometimes into early May Hybrid bite we have a tournament for them on JPP. That could be a lot of fun.

Yeah it was insane Jimmy. I had heard he caught 3 over 20", but though people were just trying to get in my head. We're going to try to make it back out in November probably the only weekend it could be is the 1st weekend of November.

I have heard word that someone is hosting a Steam Plant Tournament this winter.

I'm good for a Hybrid tournament on Priest in March or so. We are thinking about starting our season around the 1st of March.

Reel Tune
10-15-2014, 03:49 AM

Regards

Randy, it is definitely a tough fishery, but if you can figure them out it can be stellar. The problem is you may have them figured out one day, and it's completely different the next. That's what happened to me.

jad2t
10-15-2014, 07:52 AM
We're going to try to make it back out in November probably the only weekend it could be is the 1st weekend of November.

I'll be back and forth between Tennessee and Minnesota a lot this month and early November but I think I'll be available that weekend. Let me know if there's an outing there, I'd like to join.

browntrout
10-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Next Year's Venues

Dale Hollow
Center Hill
Kentucky Lake
Guntersville
Wheeler Lake
Cumberland River
Stones River
Harpeth River
Duck River

Maybe

Chickamauga
Reelfoot
Hatchie River

Wow, I really like those first 2. Depending on the dates I may have to come out and let y'all contribute a little $$$$$ to me.

Roy

jad2t
10-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Wow, I really like those first 2. Depending on the dates I may have to come out and let y'all contribute a little $$$$$ to me.

Roy

No trout magnets allowed :D

browntrout
10-15-2014, 08:58 AM
No trout magnets allowed :D

HAHAHAHAHA, Best smallmouth bait ever made, especially if they are on the spawning flats.

Roy