PDA

View Full Version : Blue Gill below dam?

chrisntab
10-08-2014, 07:57 PM
So on way back from Chattanooga last weekend stopped at Nick a jack dam to catch some skipjack. Walked by a family had a bucket and very large blue gill in his bucket. Now I knew catfish, stripers, hybrids etc hung out below dam but didn't know blue gill did? Is this normal? I guess I didn't realize they be in current water

Alphahawk
10-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Yes this is normal.....but much more prolific in the spring. A great spot to catch big Gills.....below Nickajack....Pickwick.....Kentucky.....Guntersvill e. Those Gills caught below Nickajack are from Lake Guntersville.....which is known for big Gills. Crappie are very prolific below Nickajack under the concrete fishing pier. You can keep 30 crappie from there but only 15 from up in Nickajack Lake itself. The crappie up in the lake are far bigger than just below the dam though. There is also a very nice population of good shell crackers below Nickajack....and in the lake also.

Regards

RUGER
10-09-2014, 04:18 AM
Yep, one of the times I catfished with a guide there we tore some gills UP below Nickajack. Good ones too.

Alot of fun and a good way to rest from pulling in all those big catfish. :)