PDA

View Full Version : Yellow trout ?

RUGER
10-08-2014, 07:08 PM
What are the trout that are solid yellow that I am seeing pictures of?

Are they rare?

Seems like alot of them on the tm page?

riverhawkluke
10-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Palomino trout

RUGER
10-09-2014, 12:32 PM
You will have to excuse my ignorance but is that a different species or kinda like an albino?

riverhawkluke
10-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I can not remember, I believe that it is a separate species. somewhere deep within the TM website there is an article about it, i will try to find that link for you.

jaycee
10-09-2014, 03:37 PM
In Montana there is a species of Golden Trout. I do not think they are native. Not real sure. I think later I will google.

riverhawkluke
10-09-2014, 03:44 PM
golden trout and palomino are the same just different names for the same fish. here is the article. https://www.troutmagnet.com/article.php?id=77

riverhawkluke
10-09-2014, 03:45 PM
lol nevermind they are not the same species, but ver close.

Travis C.
10-09-2014, 04:05 PM
lol nevermind they are not the same species, but ver close.

They are not really close at all. Close for being trout but that's about it.

The "yellow" palomino rainbow trout are a variation of a rainbow trout. More less they are a custom dipped hybrid version that are bred to be that way in the same way we do to get hybrid striped bass and are sterile too.

A true Golden Trout is native to just a few places in California in the same way that our native Appalachian Brooks are limited to just there in eastern TN areas. Both of these have bright vibrant colors where as a palomino is often drab or translucent like a dipped rainbow.

Here is a true Golden Trout:
http://online.sfsu.edu/bholzman/courses/Spring%2005%20projects/G.%20Trout/image001.jpg

riverhawkluke
10-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the information I had no idea, i knew there was a wild one, but i did not know which of them it was.

Travis C.
10-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the information I had no idea, i knew there was a wild one, but i did not know which of them it was.

No problem.

Another tidbit is there are probably a lot who fish for and catch brook "trout" on the Caney. They are not a member of the trout family but instead are a type of Char. They are relatives of lake trout (char), bull trout (char), Dolly Varden (arctic char) instead of browns and rainbows.