PDA

View Full Version : Weather around the Caney ?

RUGER
10-07-2014, 12:06 PM
What has the weather been like this weekend and this week so far up that way ?
I normally put in at Happy Hollow.

It has been raining quite a bit here and I didn't know how rain etc. if they have even had any, affected water color etc?

I am wanting to go up there this weekend BAD but I hate to drive 3 1/2 hours each way, spring for a room and then the water be like chocolate milk or something.

I assume it does get muddy at times?

Sorry for all the knee bootin questions but I am way behind on this trout stuff. :)

Travis C.
10-07-2014, 12:55 PM
I am wanting to go up there this weekend BAD but I hate to drive 3 1/2 hours each way, spring for a room and then the water be like chocolate milk or something.

Not to say don't come to the Caney but if you do like catching trout keep these in mind as well.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/gis/Region1_Trout.html

Might save you some gas to scratch that itch from time to time.

Alphahawk
10-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Depends on where you fish about muddy water after a rain. With the rain we have had so far I don't think you will see any mud up by the dam....but they could have had enough above the dam to generate for most of the weekend. I would keep an eye on generation schedule for this weekend before I made the trip.

Regards

jad2t
10-07-2014, 02:23 PM
It doesn't get muddy until you get several miles downstream of the dam and that part is only muddy if there has been a lot of rain. If you did a float from the dam to Happy Hollow, if it was safe with the generation schedule, you won't see muddy water.

riverhawkluke
10-07-2014, 06:14 PM
I have never seen the Caney muddy in the first 7 mile stretch, and I hope they do not generate a whole lot because I will be out there pretty much all the time from saturday through mid-afternoon monday. If they are generating and I float from the dam to happy hollow what do you guys recommend that I use? I would assume that it would be too deep and fast for trout magnets?

Alphahawk
10-07-2014, 06:46 PM
I have never seen the Caney muddy in the first 7 mile stretch, and I hope they do not generate a whole lot because I will be out there pretty much all the time from saturday through mid-afternoon monday. If they are generating and I float from the dam to happy hollow what do you guys recommend that I use? I would assume that it would be too deep and fast for trout magnets?

I'd throw some cranks...small and large...if they are generating.

Regards

Travis C.
10-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I'd throw some cranks...small and large...if they are generating.

Regards

x2

Sit off of the banks then try and hit the banks/cover and "run" it away back to you perpendicular to current.

Also i would try a few cast upstream then come directly down keeping the bait just fast enough from being over ran by the current.

Farley
10-08-2014, 03:37 PM
If it just one generator you can whack them with a trout magnet, just put one or two BB split shots on and cast slightly upstream from your boat once it gets close to the bottom it should be even with your boat and you can float evenly with your bait. You will need to set your hook fast and hard because the current will add a lot of slack to your line. Just keep an eye out down stream not getting to caught up watching your bobber can get you in trouble with trees and strainers in the current.

RUGER
10-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Man, it is killing me.
My buddy and I both got permission from the bosses to go this weekend but the weather forecast, well it sucks. :(

Can't decide what to do.

Guess we will do the ole wait and see thing till time to decide for sure.

I want to go SO bad !!!!

Farley
10-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Man, it is killing me.
My buddy and I both got permission from the bosses to go this weekend but the weather forecast, well it sucks. :(

Can't decide what to do.

Guess we will do the ole wait and see thing till time to decide for sure.

I want to go SO bad !!!!

If it would just rain, not heavy or storms you would be better off than a pretty day on the weekend b/c you won't have to deal with the crowds. I can guarantee that the fish won't mind if it rains.