PDA

View Full Version : My first magnet fish

RUGER
10-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Went to my local pond with my panfish magnet.
Behind a cold front, rain and wind.
3 casts 2 bass.

browntrout
10-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Went to my local pond with my panfish magnet.
Behind a cold front, rain and wind.
3 casts 2 bass.

Welcome to the family.

Roy

RUGER
10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Trying to figure out posting a picture on here. LOL

RUGER
10-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Neither one was a monster but pretty impressive if you ask me.

XxthejuicexX
10-06-2014, 06:55 PM
I stopped by the river after work and did not even have a nibble on my Trout Mag.

Alphahawk
10-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Congrats!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
10-06-2014, 07:12 PM
What size line you using Ruger?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwindmike
10-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Good job!
Another convert!

RUGER
10-07-2014, 04:44 AM
Alphahawk,
I am actually using the 4# sos right now.
I went to Dick's in Paducah Sunday and that is all the line they had and they only had a panfish kit, not the trout kit.

Already got my order filled out, just waiting on my rat hole money to click the pay button. Gonna go with the 2# and the floats.

I can't wait to hit the Caney with these suckers. :)

What is the benefit, if any, to filling your spool completely with 2# test rather than use say, 4# and tie on a leader of smaller ?
Just curious.

dennyboy
10-07-2014, 06:38 AM
What is the benefit, if any, to filling your spool completely with 2# test rather than use say, 4# and tie on a leader of smaller ?
Just curious.

The 2# would improve your casting distance.

Maybe more reasons which others with more experience will add.

Alphahawk
10-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Alphahawk,
I am actually using the 4# sos right now.
I went to Dick's in Paducah Sunday and that is all the line they had and they only had a panfish kit, not the trout kit.

Already got my order filled out, just waiting on my rat hole money to click the pay button. Gonna go with the 2# and the floats.

I can't wait to hit the Caney with these suckers. :)

Just curious.

It serves no benefit to do that as you will get your best casting distance with 2# test line. What I have done is fill my spool up to a certain point with with duct tape so I only have to use say 100 yards of 2#test line.....did it to save money from using so much line as I usually fish 4-5 days a week. But I stopped doing that and purchased a 20,000 yard spool of SOS 2# test. It will take me years to go through that much line and I change my line once a week on several reels. But they no longer sell a spool of that size. But do sell a spool of 10,429 yards. If you panfish a lot....and I get the impression you do.....it is a good buy. That line will store well as long as you keep it out of the sun and hot vehicles. Along with panfish I fish the TM with 2# test line for Smallies....whites....Kentucky's. I have a lot of success with that and have caught a lot of those specie in the 18-20 inch range. At times I have had bigger fish peel a lot of line off my spool.....so I want all the line I can get on there and not have to worry about a knot where I have the two lines joined go zipping through my guides....LOL. If you fish the TM sooner or later you are going to have large fish hit it and it is just comforting to know you have all the line you need to tire the fish out. At Williamsport Lakes while fishing for Gills I have hybrids hit the TM and they take a lot of line. I have been spooled before and that is quite disappointing. I know you watched the videos and you probably know already when fishing for trout to use a fluorocarbon leader.....you will catch far more trout using 2# test fluorocarbon leader. But I understand everyone does not UL fish as much as I do and if I wanted to save line I would go the duct tape route and use it as a filler so I could get about 120 yards of 2# test on the spool.

Regards

ThrillSeeker
10-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Cool. I was just thinking yesterday about a trout magnet thread.

Were you fishing under a float or casting and counting down? 1/64 jig head or 1/32?

RUGER
10-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks alot alphahawk, once again you have proven you know what you are talking about for sure.
It was really one of those things where I knew the answer but I just needed someone to slap me in the back of the head. :)

ThrillSeeker,
I actually had it under a float. I used my bream set-up, with the exception of the sos line.
I would cast it out and then use kind of a creeping retrieve.
When I am bream fishing I will cast out and give it about a half turn on my reel, let it set then repeat.

It wasn't a fishing trip as much as a curiosity trip with the magnet. :D

I can tell, I am gonna like it.

FlipaYak
10-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Way to go Ruger! Those small bass in ponds will hammer a TM. Wait till you fish it on Kentucky Lake and hook into a big drum, a disappointing catch but an exciting fight on light tackle. Smallmouth about the size of the bass you caught are the most fun you can have fishing a TM and ultralight tackle.

SAMBOLIE
10-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Alpha,
You state that you do not like two lines joined together. Logically this creates a weak link in the chain and could result in broken line with a large fish. I believe you use a leader in most if not all types of fishing. Why would this not create the same problem as the knot joining the backing line closer to the reel. Also, the weakest ink I have experienced was where the fluoro was tied to the mono.
I seldom use a leader and I can't remember the last time my knot broke at the lure when breaking loose from a snag.

XxthejuicexX
10-07-2014, 09:13 AM
I am sure I have asked this before..... What length rod do you guys recommend for 2lb line. I broke my 6' rod Saturday and Dicks swapped it out but all the had was the 5'6" Light action. Do I need a longer rod for the ligth line?

Alphahawk
10-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Alpha,
You state that you do not like two lines joined together. Logically this creates a weak link in the chain and could result in broken line with a large fish. I believe you use a leader in most if not all types of fishing. Why would this not create the same problem as the knot joining the backing line closer to the reel. Also, the weakest ink I have experienced was where the fluoro was tied to the mono.
I seldom use a leader and I can't remember the last time my knot broke at the lure when breaking loose from a snag.

What you say is true. But my leader knot does not get pulled through the guides when a good sized fish hits. Ott I am curious if your line is not breaking at the eye of the lure when snagged where does your line break at? I striper fish a few times a year and use NanoFil...several posts about me doing that. I can't afford to buy say 300 yards of NanoFil to put on the reel so I use the 150 yard spools of the stuff...but it needs backing to bring it up to the rim of the spool so I can get casting distance. I have used 14# and 17# NanoFil with a backing of mono. I have had stripers peel off all of the NanoFil and get into the backing. I don't recall it ever breaking as the knot went through the guides. But I sure don't like to see that....quite nerve racking...LOL....as I do want to land the fish if I can. My setup for striper is still the same. I used to use a lot of NanoFil in my UL setups because of the increased casting distance but still had to use backing even on the smaller reels as 2# test NanoFil is only .002" so I used a lot of 2# test mono for backing. I don't use 2# test NanoFil anymore as I can no longer see to tie it and not sure how many more years I will be able to see the 2# test mono. One can get about 240 yards of 2# test mono on most of the 1000 size series reels. When I hang up using a fluorocarbon leader the break can either occur at the leader....or at times it is at the knot of the lure.....depends on the fluorocarbon I am using. But if my line doesn't break at a knot I have in the line when snagged and just breaks in random places I have some bad line....IMHO. I have never had a bluegill or shell cracker get close to spooling me....nor even a 6# brown trout or a big Smallie...but I have fished enough to know I may only get the one shot at a fish of a lifetime and I hope I am as prepared as I know how to be. To me the less knots in the equation the better I am....but I am still going to use fluorocarbon leader as I feel it helps me catch more fish and for a fact it helps me catch more trout. I read...and try different things to include lines...lures.....knots....all of it. This is just my opinion on the subject. I am no expert on any of it and I certainly welcome input from anyone on something that may help me catch more fish...or save money...LOL.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
10-07-2014, 09:43 AM
I think the less knots the better. When I break fish off it's usually at the knot on the hook set .

Alphahawk
10-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I am sure I have asked this before..... What length rod do you guys recommend for 2lb line. I broke my 6' rod Saturday and Dicks swapped it out but all the had was the 5'6" Light action. Do I need a longer rod for the ligth line?

The longer the rod and more limber the rod the more pressure it takes off the 2# test line. One of the reason a lot of us who fish the 2# test line for trout use a 9 foot UL float rod is to take the pressure off the line. You may be catching 11 inch stockers all day but then again a 20 inch brown could hit it. My son uses a 5 foot Falcon UL and loves it. I have them from 6 feet up to 9 feet. But what I use the most is a 6' 9" and a 7 foot UL. A 5' 6" rod that is rated for 2# test line I am sure would work fine.

Regards

RUGER
10-07-2014, 10:37 AM
I am new to the 2# test line community but in all my bream fishing I use a 7 foot light action rod.
On the rod that I use I keep flurocarbon on it.
Everything else in the boat is rigged with regular mono, as some of the people that I carry fishing don't really have the experience to put up with fluro :)

XxthejuicexX
10-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Can I use the 2lb SOS fluorocarbon on the caney??? Also once again I know this has been discussed and I searched for it... what are the best colors for the Caney? I am going to have to order some because all I have is the Neon trout kit.

Alphahawk
10-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Can I use the 2lb SOS fluorocarbon on the caney??? Also once again I know this has been discussed and I searched for it... what are the best colors for the Caney? I am going to have to order some because all I have is the Neon trout kit.

Yep it works fine. The colors lately that have been doing very well are chartreuse head with chartreuse body. White....Bison.....Gainer.....too many to mention really.....also work.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
10-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks again for the help alpha, I am trying the Caney at the end of the month.