PDA

View Full Version : Kayak ?

RUGER
10-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Thinking about getting me a Kayak for Christmas this year.

Budget minded for sure.

Anyone have any experience with the Sun Dolphin Excursion 10 that they sell at Dicks?

As an entry level fishing rig, would that work ?

Westwindmike
10-05-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm going to give you the advise that everybody gets. Paddle before you buy. You may decide you don't like a Sit In. Most of the folks that fish are using a Sit On Top. And the weight capacity of that Sun Dolphin is only 250 lbs.

RUGER
10-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks, makes sense.

Alphahawk
10-05-2014, 07:15 PM
I know it is a ways for you to drive to HOOK1 in Hendersonville but if you could you could demo a lot of different kayaks. We all have a budget but I would try to stretch it a little further and get something better. Comfort....comfort.....comfort. Sometimes you can get a steal on one off of Craig's List that someone just has to sell at a big loss. A lot of folks get into kayaking only to get out a week later so there are always some used ones around. At HOOK1 they don't charge you to demo and there's not a better place around to buy a kayak....great folks there.

Regards

Westwindmike
10-05-2014, 09:29 PM
What Alphahawk said^^^^
Good advise!

RUGER
10-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Thanks guys !

Reel Tune
10-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Great advise guys. Also Hook 1 takes trade-ins so you can find used kayaks there at a great price. Most of the 2015 models have been released, so you will see a lot of 2014, and 2013 models up for sale used. I always like to take my weight plus gear 350lbs and add another 75-100lbs for a total of 425-450 pounds and that's where I like the weight capacity of the kayak at a minimum. I was in a kayak with a maximum weight capacity of 350lbs this past weekend, but I limited my gear, by not taking electronics, only 3 rods instead of 7, and only 1-3700 series Plano, and 20-30 bags of soft plastics. Comfort is the main thing, if you are not comfortable you will not like it.

jad2t
10-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Not to discourage you from paying a little less when you first get started rather than drop a grand into a method of fishing you're not sure that you'd enjoy or not, but the issue with these cheaper yaks is they're going to feel like cheaper yaks. They're not going to be comfortable. They're not going to track well. They're not going to be the least bit stable so you'll be prone to flipping.

I'd recommend that you hit craigslist and look around for a better fishing kayak. You can find some killer deals on a used yak. You could very likely pay as much for a used, better quality kayak, as you'd pay for that one at Dick's brand new and enjoy it more. I'm an avid kayak fisherman and love to see others get into this sport but I'd hate for you to buy a poor quality kayak, hate it, and give up on kayak fishing as a whole because of it.

XxthejuicexX
10-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Jimmy is right on. I fish out of a cheaper " fishing" kayak that is a sit in model. It gets very uncomfortable in a hurry. I am going to order a nice one this spring. Spend the money and get something nicer.

bfish
10-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Also by going with a "name" brand fishing specific kayak, it will be easier to resale, if you decide it is not for you. Their is no perfect boat out there, just boats that are good for certain situations. For that reason, you need to try them out. Both the already mentioned Hook1 and also Caney Fork Outdoors has on water demos. They also both carry trade-ins and sell off boats used for demos at a discount. They carry different product lines so it is worth it to visit both (Hook1 is Wilderness and Feel Free while Caney Fork carries Jackson (which are made here in TN)).

Travis C.
10-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Jimmy is right on. I fish out of a cheaper " fishing" kayak that is a sit in model. It gets very uncomfortable in a hurry. I am going to order a nice one this spring. Spend the money and get something nicer.

It depends on the "cheap" kayak you have as not all cheap are equally cheap. I use a Mainstream Kingfish which would be a value line from years ago. Now that company's a part of Confluence who has Wilderness and Perception kayaks.

My boat is not tippy, not really slow or really fast and pretty comfortable. I have spent almost 11hrs in it on trips and many overnights. I am not saying the boat is a Lure or Wilderness but it is definitely not a Pelican, Heritage or cheaper Old Town. I would not be afraid to take it in current or have not stayed away from fishing in water when the air is in the teens/singles due to my boat's stability. The only thing it doesn't do that I want from a boat is ability to stand up then fish. I could but not comfortably.

You can find some in the what I would call value range not dropping a grand on a boat if you research the boat. If you can afford a grand then there is no issue but you can always trade in and up later on.

The main thing is your comfort level. Get the best your money can get. What ever style that is at the time.