PDA

View Full Version : Good day at Pickwick

Alphahawk
09-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Had a really good day at Pickwick today with 79 fish caught. I started fishing at 10:30 a.m. and came up the hill at 4:30 p.m. I had one shell cracker....5 catfish....6 Smallies....and 67 Gills, nearly all of them exactly at the 8 inch mark. The Smallies were only about 9 inches but a blast to catch. I went over to the park to have lunch under some shade and made a few casts and got into them. Nothing big but fun never the less. The Gills were out in deep water on rock. They were hitting the Bison Trout Magnet hard and fought hard. All of them were males with a good girth and chunky fish. As usual everything caught on UL rod with 2# test line. My fall spot for Gills is just going to get better. Kept hoping for a 9 inch Gill but not today. The Smallies I usually catch there have not moved up as the water is still a little warm...upper 70's by noon. They are lowering the lake 6 weeks early to winter pool. I don't know if that will affect the fishing at my spot or not. The stripers are showing up at sunset and pretty much bite for several hours. The white bass are not with them but some small hybrids are. On way home saw a tractor trailer on its side...he had a bad day. Wanted to stop and find out what happened there as the road is flat...straight...and speed limit only 45 MPH there....but had to get home. Cant wait to go again....life is good.

Regards

TroutFiend
09-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Glad you had a great day there, and beautiful reel... I mean gill.😃

Alphahawk
09-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Glad you had a great day there, and beautiful reel... I mean gill.😃

Thanks....LOL.....that is a JDM Daiwa Luvias and it is one sweet reel. The bonus fish should move in there within the next two weeks....small mouth. I'm chomping at the bit.

Regards

Saltwaterwalt
09-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Nice report!

Just curious, when you get that high a fish count, do you use a counter?

Alphahawk
09-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Nice report!

I do Walt. It is my second one to own. The first one broke. Got it off Trout Magnet web site. I just click it when I get the fish in. If I don't land him I don't click. It comes in handy when I'm keeping crappie. Before I started using one I would lose count all the time.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAMBOLIE
10-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Nice report!

Most of those look like the same fish. Just take multiple pictures of 2 or 3 fish from different angles, pick a number between 10 and 100 and post it for us honest fishermen. :D

RUGER
10-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Looks like a great day indeed!
Congrats.

Travis C.
10-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Before I started using one I would lose count all the time.

Regards

I never have that problem. I can always keep the count on one hand maybe two if I get lucky. :D

Alphahawk
10-02-2014, 04:50 PM
I never have that problem. I can always keep the count on one hand maybe two if I get lucky. :D

I don't believe that for one minute. This spot has held these fish like this for the last 3 years. I fully expect sometime between now and the end of November to have a 100 fish day...or better from there. The last few years I knew when I would have a high numbers day as they would hit it before it would get down to my count of 30. I am catching these fish sitting on the same rock and casting to the same spot I have the past years.....to me that is amazing. I have no clue as to why they show up at this spot in the fall....must be food.

Regards

browntrout
10-02-2014, 05:01 PM
I don't believe that for one minute. This spot has held these fish like this for the last 3 years. I fully expect sometime between now and the end of November to have a 100 fish day...or better from there. The last few years I knew when I would have a high numbers day as they would hit it before it would get down to my count of 30. I am catching these fish sitting on the same rock and casting to the same spot I have the past years.....to me that is amazing. I have no clue as to why they show up at this spot in the fall....must be food.

Regards

Just installed a GPS tracker on his car. More info to follow..........

Roy

jaycee
10-02-2014, 06:32 PM
No reason to do the GPS thing. Randy will tell you where he goes and the how and whys. He does just as he says. Sits on a rock and proceeds to catch fish. Witnessed

Alphahawk
10-02-2014, 07:34 PM
No reason to do the GPS thing. Randy will tell you where he goes and the how and whys. He does just as he says. Sits on a rock and proceeds to catch fish. Witnessed

Hey John.....the crappie should start soon at Nickajack. Hope to see you down there. I know you are a good red ear fisherman.....if you get a chance take a look at the thread Ruger started and see if there is anything you could recommend to him.

Regards

MNfisher
10-02-2014, 07:44 PM
I've sat on that rock and caught fish!

Mike

Transplanted Sportsman
10-02-2014, 07:45 PM

That is me right there Travis! Congrats on such a day Mr Randy, I may need to tag along one of these days to Pickwick now that Im able to fish during the week

browntrout
10-02-2014, 07:50 PM

He carries that darn rock with him everywhere.

Roy

Transplanted Sportsman
10-02-2014, 07:51 PM

Just the same way you shared advice with me about building bamboo condos for crappie, i just started placing some biggens this week on Normandy come next year i hope to report some nice catches thanks for the info!

Transplanted Sportsman
10-02-2014, 07:52 PM
He carries that darn rock with him everywhere.

Roy

Or his trusty Academy bucket!!

jaycee
10-02-2014, 08:01 PM
You may not have to wait until next year.
I have not fished mine a lot this yr as been caregiver for mama in Mississippi selling and emptying 93 yrs of stuff. But mama is doing well and in assit lvg.
Fishing is in my future soon. Good luck with ur crappie condos. Home work pays off.

SAMBOLIE
10-03-2014, 04:40 AM
he carries that darn rock with him everywhere.

Roy
:)