PDA

View Full Version : New here, heading out in the morning

timothy.collins92
09-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Hey I just got approved today, I am a rookie for sure, only been fishing since the spring and then only off and on as work allows. I am 22, didn't have much chance to fish growing up and looking to make up for lost time.

I am planning on fishing in the morning, I am on the south side if Murfreesboro and enjoy going to the duck river, haven't had a ton of luck so far so trying to learn as much as I can. Would also like the chance to catch some bigger stuff, but I don't have a boat.

Are there decent places to fish off the shore around normandy lake? I have been going to three forks bridge and it is nice but do want the chance at bigger fish that the lake provides. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Timothy

Fishaholic
09-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Welcome! I don;t fish down that way but I'm sure there are a lot of guys here that do and would be hapy to give you some pointers. I'd talk to the local tackle shop for sure and see what they say for starters.

Reel Tune
09-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Welcome to FishingTN, sorry I cannot help you with that area. I think Alphahawk is familiar with the area you are looking at. The Stones River does hold some good fish.

gmedlin
09-29-2014, 09:10 AM
In a couple of months I will be fishing the Duck below Courtner's Mill. I have enjoyed catching lots of stocked trout there as well as a variety of other fish. I also like to fish below the dam and normally wade in both places.

Not familiar with Normandy but I do fish Tim's Ford a good bit and notice folks bank fishing below the bridge near the state park. I also live in M'boro but mainly fish PP. Lots of good bank fishing on PP near Stewart's Creek boat ramp as well as the rock bluff near the Weakley Lane bridge.

Getting ready to hook up the boat and head to PP today and hope to find some crappie.

bates19
09-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Welcome bud. I just moved to La Vergne so I've been checking out as many bank fishing spots as I can. Gmedlin hit the nail on the head. This far the best fishing I've found from the bank is Stewarts creek boat ramp. There is a dock right there which can be good to fish from. Also a trail from the boat ramp puts you back in a nice cove with some decent bass fishing. I've just started fishing fate sanders rec area. That's the rock bluffs he mentioned by weakley lane bridge. Lots of fish pile up under the bridge. And just off shore it drops off real deep. Haven't found one yet, but I'm hoping the deep water right off the rocks will bring some big catfish one day soon. Good luck, and if you ever need a fishin buddy, feel free to hit me up.
Tight lines......Bryan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltwaterwalt
09-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Timothy,

If you want to fish Normandy, there's a bridge on Mt View rd. Also, when you cross that bridge (heading NW), the first left after crossing the bridge is River Forge, which will take you down to a boat ramp. Shore fishing can be decent there at times for white bass. If you had a kayak, across to the right from that ramp are two small islands a couple hundred yards out. I've caught some nice largemouth and an occassional walleye around those islands.

Belmont Rd off of Hwy 55 in Manchester runs right into Mt View. Look at mapquest to find the areas I'm talking about.

But I agree with the others here, a trip to J Percy Priest is well worth it.

timothy.collins92
09-29-2014, 03:12 PM
I hadn't really looked into PP much yet but I think I will try that, also wanting to get into fly and kayak fishing, then I can be a bit more versatile. Might hit up PP tomorrow morning then assuming work holds off.

One reason I like the Duck is all the trout, not at the moment of course but that is what originally got me interested

bates19
09-29-2014, 03:25 PM
I'll be at Stewarts creek boat ramp in the AM and then headed over to fate sanders shortly after that, hope to see you out, and good luck!

Alphahawk
09-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Well since you are a young man you shouldn't have any problems walking down the rocks at the dam on the lake side. Good fish hang around all that rock.....walleye.....small mouth and crappie. Normandy does not have a good population of big bluegills.....but does have plenty of small ones. I am sure I will run into you below the dam as I fish the tail race from November through late June.

Regards