PDA

View Full Version : Fishing below JPP dam??

XxthejuicexX
09-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Anyone been out lately? I will be working this weekend up by the airport and thought about hitting up the dam after work. I have never been below the dam so i don't know what to expect.

Reel Tune
09-29-2014, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't waste your time now, there isn't enough water to hold many fish.

MNfisher
09-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Yep, what Jeremy said. Very little water. But you might have fun with trout mags. Lots of gills. Maybe s few bass and that's about it.

Mike

thehick176
09-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Pretty shallow from the dam to Lebanon rd bridge. Your deeper water will be from the bridge down to the Cumberland.

jad2t
09-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Pretty soon, thuogh, they'll be pumping a lot of water out to lower JPP for Winter pool. During that time the fishing can be great in the fast water. Lots of bass and even stripers and hybrids move in from the Cumberland.

XxthejuicexX
09-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up guys. I might still go by and fish it since I will be less than 10 minutes away. Take the trout magnets out and see what I can find.

TNBronzeback
09-29-2014, 11:14 AM
if your gonna have your kayak, you can go just a little ways down briley and fish put in at the boat ramp on the stones. there is some flooded timber and some good shorelines around that ramp and towards the mouth where it dumps into the cumberland. Dont know if your gonna go thru all that though.
fishing can be good in the stones towards the mouth though! :D

XxthejuicexX
10-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Well, Despite the cold front and what you guys have said I am going to head to the dam after work tomorrow. I don't have high hopes but I figure there are worse ways to kill a couple hours. I'm going to fish mainly with the T mags but I do have a heavy rig with me just incase something big decides to show up.

Alphahawk
10-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Juice......I used to fish below JPP a lot a few years back and as long as the generator was on it was good fishing but as Jeremy said I don't think there is enough water there now....but I hope you find something.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
10-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Juice......I used to fish below JPP a lot a few years back and as long as the generator was on it was good fishing but as Jeremy said I don't think there is enough water there now....but I hope you find something.

Regards

Like not enough water to keep the dirt wet??? I will be less than 10 minutes away so I might stop by and check it out, worse case is I waist 10 minutes.

Alphahawk
10-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Like not enough water to keep the dirt wet??? I will be less than 10 minutes away so I might stop by and check it out, worse case is I waist 10 minutes.

Understand that......I want to go back to Pickwick so bad in the morning but the wind is supposed to blow bad there tomorrow, so will save the gas for better day. Good luck to you.

Regards

thehick176
10-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Yeah there is the new Heartland ramp that's a few hundred yards from the Cumberland. Or, you can park in the Khol's parking lot on Lebanon rd and see if you can get your yak in there. Both options are probably better than right at the dam.

XxthejuicexX
10-04-2014, 03:23 PM
So I just got to the dam and was going to fish the side without the water falling, I grab my Light action rod and the last 2' breaks off! Heading home

Alphahawk
10-04-2014, 04:27 PM
That's tough.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
10-04-2014, 05:35 PM
That's tough.

Regards

Yep, I was disappointed. There were people down there fishing, it was low but looked good to me.