PDA

View Full Version : Good Day on the Caney 09-27-2014

browntrout
09-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Had an awesome day wading the Caney yesterday afternoon. I didn't catch anything big but did catch around 50 trout using the Trout Magnet. They were a lot of fun on 2lb. test and the 9 foot rod. Also got to see 4 deer crossing the river and 4 river otters were playing where I was fishing(fun to watch but scared what they can do to a trout river).

The greatest part of the day was getting to fish with Ed(tcintn) for a couple of hours. He is the master of the TM on the float rod. I spent a lot of time watching his techniques and a little less time fishing.

Awesome day!!!

Roy

Westwindmike
09-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Sounds like it was a great day Roy. Hope to make it to the Caney soon.

Reel Tune
09-29-2014, 12:11 AM
We plan on heading to the Caney soon. Bad news about the Otters.

Travis C.
09-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a great day Roy.

Those Otters sure are fun to watch. They have been in there for a good while now. A pair showed up in the river back around 2008 or so (at least that was first time I seen them). No one really knew how they ended up there best I remember but some speculated the TWRA relocated them to the river.

Travis C.
09-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Bad news about the Otters.

I don't think it's all bad news.

I know they can do some damage to a river in the eyes of a fisherman but having a good population of Otters/Beavers (both keystone species) just speaks to the over all health of the river as a whole.

browntrout
09-29-2014, 10:30 AM
I don't think it's all bad news.

I know they can do some damage to a river in the eyes of a fisherman but having a good population of Otters/Beavers (both keystone species) just speaks to the over all health of the river as a whole.

These 4 are located on the campground side a couple hundred yards downstream from the campground steps. Didn't know they were there until they came out late that evening.

Roy