PDA

View Full Version : Great day at Pickwick Lake.

Alphahawk
09-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Had a great day at Pickwick today. A total of 27 shell crackers.....9 catfish......4 Smallies......and a bunch of Gills. I was using a Bison colored Trout Magnet with a 1/16 ounce head. All fish were caught on the UL using 2# test line with 2# test fluorocarbon leader. The Smallie in the pic was 12 inches...the other 3 were 8-9 inches. The shell cracker were all between 10-12 inches...the box is 10 3/4 inches long. Caught a few Gills at 9 inch but most were 7-8 inches. While the catfish were fun it was a chore to retie every time I landed one of them...LOL. I have been reading for years that some think shell cracker do a spawn in the fall as the water cools down. I don't know about that but will keep checking when I am in the kayak during next 4 weeks or so. But look at the tail of one of the shell crackers in my pics.....looks like he has been fanning a bed.....just my opinion though. Caught a lot of them in one spot which also makes me think they may be bedding...or could just be the fall bite for them. The Gills were caught way out from shore in deeper water......the Smallies and shell crackers were much closer to the bank....all off a rock and gravel bottom. As of 5:30 p.m. nothing was being caught below the dam off the bank. Sure was nice to be back into some fish again!

Regards

Saltwaterwalt
09-26-2014, 09:01 PM
That's some nice size shellcrackers Alpha!

MNfisher
09-27-2014, 04:59 AM
Great fish and great day Alpha!

Mike

TNtroller
09-27-2014, 02:04 PM
those BG's been eating good for sure. Nice pics/fish/report.

tacklemake
09-27-2014, 04:16 PM
That's some great eating fish thank you my friend.....................woody

Reel Tune
09-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Some great colors in those fish.

GO-OKFISHIN
09-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Very nice. I guess I need to try some of those. I believe I am the only person on the board that has not used them.