PDA

View Full Version : Normandy Dam 9-25-14

dennyboy
09-25-2014, 02:45 PM
No fishermen there, but no fish either. That's probably why no fishermen. I did manage to catch 2 bluegill In 2 hrs. One 7" on a Bitsy Minnow in the Ghost color (with four additional hits), and one 6" on a Gulp Alive 1" Minnow in Pumpkinseed (with a few more nibbles). If there is a panfish in the area, it will take the Gulp 1" minnow, almost without fail. A good bait for kids as it even catches tiny bluegill under 2 inches. Use it under a bobber just like using a worm.

Don't let that fool you though. Last month I caught a 17" largemouth on one of those 1" minnows. I use a #8 Aberdeen hook. If the fish are running small, string the hook through the minnow's body about 3/4 way. If they are 6" or more, just hook it across the head.

I also tried some topwater by the dam with no luck. Anyone ever do any good with topwater next to the dam, or is farther down-river a better bet?

NismoFish
09-26-2014, 12:51 PM
I haven't fished Normandy in over 10 years (definitely prior to the drought), but I always did well with Rattle Traps, buzzbaits fished parallel to the rip rap, and spinnerbaits. Top producer was Rattle Trap (various colors). That combo works in other bodies of water, too. Largemouth and stripe were the only fish I ever caught on those rocks.

Back then, the closer to the dam, the deeper it got, which meant the fish were fewer closer to the rocks. Had to go deeper to find them.

JKTrevecca
09-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Nice post Denny. Glad you got a fish on the Bitsy Minnow. Need Pics!!!! lol

tkwalker
09-27-2014, 12:26 AM
I haven't fished Normandy in over 10 years (definitely prior to the drought), but I always did well with Rattle Traps, buzzbaits fished parallel to the rip rap, and spinnerbaits. Top producer was Rattle Trap (various colors). That combo works in other bodies of water, too. Largemouth and stripe were the only fish I ever caught on those rocks.

Back then, the closer to the dam, the deeper it got, which meant the fish were fewer closer to the rocks. Had to go deeper to find them.

Nismo, noticed Tomahawks on your slide show ... They are not competition ... Hawks Like I throw but what do you do with them ??? <'TK>< :):)

dennyboy
09-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Nice post Denny. Glad you got a fish on the Bitsy Minnow. Need Pics!!!! lol

Thanks Jason, and thanks for your original tip about using Bitsy Minnows when the fishing is tough.

As you know, they are advertised as 'floating'. I bought a few more but none of them float. Out of the box, they are 'nearly' buoyant, but not quite. I took the split-ring off one to lighten it, but it still sinks.

Removing the front treble hook might work, but that might ruin the action. Gluing something buoyant on the top might work, but the smell of the glue might repel fish. I returned some and bought others (which don't float either), but can't keep doing that over and over.

Any ideas (anyone) on how to get them to float?

Do you think contacting the Strike King company would do any good? You'd think they would be aware of this problem.

Travis C.
09-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks Jason, and thanks for your original tip about using Bitsy Minnows when the fishing is tough.

As you know, they are advertised as 'floating'. I bought a few more but none of them float. Out of the box, they are 'nearly' buoyant, but not quite. I took the split-ring off one to lighten it, but it still sinks.

Removing the front treble hook might work, but that might ruin the action. Gluing something buoyant on the top might work, but the smell of the glue might repel fish. I returned some and bought others (which don't float either), but can't keep doing that over and over.

Do you think contacting the Strike King company would do any good? You'd think they would be aware of this problem.

What are you using to fish them? Line? Swivel or not? Most lures are tested with a specific line size for specs purposes.

NismoFish
09-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Nismo, noticed Tomahawks on your slide show ... They are not competition ... Hawks Like I throw but what do you do with them ??? <'TK>< :):)

Tomahawk?

XxthejuicexX
09-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Good looking X terra. I had a super charged frontier that I loved! My wife has a X terra, I just changed the plugs and wires..... number six was a LARGE female dog!!!!!!

dennyboy
09-28-2014, 06:35 AM
What are you using to fish them? Line? Swivel or not? Most lures are tested with a specific line size for specs purposes.

I have not used a swivel. I've been using 6# mono tied directly to the split-ring on the front of the lure.

The point is that they do not float with nothing attached. In other words just the lure alone, with no line or anything else attached, sinks slowly when placed in water.

Maybe they depend on the line floating to help them stay on top, but you would think they would float on their own. They are specified as "floating" by the manufacturer.

Added Note: Researching the internet I found that these might come in two types.... Floating & non-floating. The ones I got at Walmart did not specify floating or not on the package. That's probably the answer to the problem. I ordered two more from Basspro a few days ago and it specifically said 'floating'. I'll have them in a couple of days and give them a test.

JKTrevecca
09-29-2014, 09:45 PM

Not sure what to tell you here Dennis. I am working in Jackson this week and brought my ultra-light rod with a bitsy minnow ties on it. I went to Lake Graham here in Jackson this evening and my lure floated. I've probably used a couple dozen of these over the past few years and only had 2-3 that didn't float. They still caught fish but wouldn't float. If I were you, I'd give strike-king a call. At 4 bucks a pop, I'd get really tired of buying them in hopes i would find one that floats like it's supposed to.

My $0.02 which is only worth what you paid for it ;-)

BTW - Caught 1 bluegill at lake graham in about an hour casting from the bank. Met a guy who had about 6-8 catfish poles out and was casting a rooster-tail. He'd been there since 8am and caught his first and only fish of the day when I was talking to him aroubd 6:30PM. Talk about patience! Dude's name had to be Job.

dennyboy
09-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Not sure what to tell you here Dennis. I am working in Jackson this week and brought my ultra-light rod with a bitsy minnow ties on it. I went to Lake Graham here in Jackson this evening and my lure floated. I've probably used a couple dozen of these over the past few years and only had 2-3 that didn't float. They still caught fish but wouldn't float. If I were you, I'd give strike-king a call. At 4 bucks a pop, I'd get really tired of buying them in hopes i would find one that floats like it's supposed to.

My $0.02 which is only worth what you paid for it ;-)

BTW - Caught 1 bluegill at lake graham in about an hour casting from the bank. Met a guy who had about 6-8 catfish poles out and was casting a rooster-tail. He'd been there since 8am and caught his first and only fish of the day when I was talking to him aroubd 6:30PM. Talk about patience! Dude's name had to be Job.

I got two more Bitsy Minnows in the mail yesterday from Basspro and neither one floats. On the order form it specifically says "floating". That makes a total of 10 I have, none of which floats.

The good news is that they still catch fish. I got 3 more fish on it Sat on OH. A bluegill, a shellcracker, and a small 8" bass. The bass grabbed the lure the instant it hit the water which shows, I think, that it would work even better if it floated.

I'll see about contacting Strike King. Later versions might have a heavier rattle to increase casting distance.