PDA

View Full Version : Trout

IdahoBoy
09-25-2014, 08:41 AM
My wife and I have now lived in middle Tennessee for about 7 months. We have enjoyed our time here thus far!

On that note we have been able to get out to various locations locally and fish, and have really enjoyed ourselves; but, it is time to expand our horizons.

Through a couple local friends we have spoke with regarding trout fishing we have been told the great potential of the Caney. My wife and I have since gone and scouted the river - put in / take out locations etc. We have yet to fish it, but are hoping to this coming week.

My question is: we have been reading in books and TN fishing literature the potential of the Watauga and Holston rivers for trout. I wanted to hear any of your feedback, experiences, or advice you may have from the past, or, alternatively whether you would advise a trip of the sort this time of year.

Thank you in advance, and bring on the fall weather!:D

jad2t
09-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Welcome to FishingTN! Not many of us on this forum, that I know of, have a lot of experience with the Watauga and Holston rivers but many of us have a lot of experience with the Caney Fork. One thing to note about the Caney is the regulations for keeping trout can be a bit confusing at first glance. Pay careful attention if you plan to take home a meal because the fines are steep!

Fishing with light tackle and roostertails has always been a reliable go-to method in the Caney for mostly smaller trout with a bigger surprise here and there. Hard jerkbaits in shad or trout patterns are used for the larger trout and work best at night or during times of generation and high water. I personally think you can outfish roostertails 10-1 using Trout Magnets on any given day and I'd recommend you bring some. If you're new to using them just get a couple of the floats and some of the more productive colors in that river are white, pink, and chartreuse. 2# flourocarbon line is a must for a leader. Put the float high enough on the line as to not get hung up in the water depth you're currently fishing (it varies quite a bit in that river), add a small splitshot about a foot above the lure. Cast, let it drift, watch the float go down, and enjoy. You'll catch mostly small trout that way but always be ready because quite a few 5+ pound trout have been caught in there on Trout Magnets.

IdahoBoy
09-25-2014, 09:29 AM
Thank you for the reply, it is much appreciated.

We have fished a lost out west (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Washington), and have used similar methods. I generally go to MEPPS #2 silvers/golds, Panther Martin's #6-9, and silver colored (or brookie/rainbow) colored rapalas. They have produced a lot over the years.

Since we do not have a canoe/kayaks yet, we will be wading, and will make sure to get out prior to the generation early in the morning. I look forward to seeing some beautiful country and catching some amazing fish.

The regs: it states up to 5 fish kept, none between 14-20 inches (raindbow), and none under 24in for Browns. Correct?

Thanks again.

jad2t
09-25-2014, 10:05 AM
The regs: it states up to 5 fish kept, none between 14-20 inches (raindbow), and none under 24in for Browns. Correct?

Thanks again.

Brooks and Rainbows are not allowed between 14-20 inches but you are allowed to keep one over 20 inches. You are correct about Browns but also you are allowed to keep only one over 24 inches.

Travis C.
09-25-2014, 11:21 AM
My question is: we have been reading in books and TN fishing literature the potential of the Watauga and Holston rivers for trout. I wanted to hear any of your feedback, experiences, or advice you may have from the past, or, alternatively whether you would advise a trip of the sort this time of year.

I would add the Clinch to that list and maybe move Watauga to 3rd or 4th behind Caney. Here in the state as of right now: (1) South Holston (2) Clinch (3) Caney and (4) Watauga as for top rivers go.

The Caney is my favorite river due to it being local to the me and it is gaining its ground back to what was prior to Dam repair. Before that in this state it was arguably South Holston/Caney talked about as top.

You can in a couple years start leaning to the Cumberland below Wolf Creek in KY again. That river was top dog in these parts talked about in the same breath as White River System in AR. They had Dam repair as well that caused lots of problems to the cold tailwater.

The great thing is all these places are weekend trips from Middle Tennessee as well as getting your freestone fix in the mountains of GSMNP only 4hrs to the east.