PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this law?

Dakota
09-22-2014, 04:21 PM
http://www.fishhound.com/content/california-passes-boater-education-requirement

tcintn
09-22-2014, 04:56 PM
I am all for it.
I would like for those who rent kayaks and canoes on the Caney have to take a course before getting on the river. Been run over to many times and getting right in your face when trying to fish and then saying they do not know how to get kayak or canoe go in the right direction.
Those that are experienced are very courteous and know how to go behind you.

Got that off my chest after dealing with some very rude folks last Friday.
Thanks

aero320
09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
I am all for it.
I would like for those who rent kayaks and canoes on the Caney have to take a course before getting on the river. Been run over to many times and getting right in your face when trying to fish and then saying they do not know how to get kayak or canoe go in the right direction.

Thanks

Fish JPP on a busy weekend and you will quickly get de-sensitized to rudeness!

tkwalker
09-22-2014, 08:21 PM
I am all for it.

Thanks

The problem is: I have taken TWRA and the USCG training when I received my Capt. License ... It is safety and navigational training ... Nothing to do with proper common sense ethics. The training will only deal with safety which the right of the waterway is part of that ... (TWRA State training) ..

There is no common sense hand book on manners and rudeness.. especially when it comes to the brainless acts that some people do ... Regardless, on Jet Skies, Canoes, Kayaks , Powerboats, etc. The best way in your case .. (And I have canoed the Caney Numerous times as well as stood in the water and fished) Is politely ask them if they would go behind you as a safety measure ... We know that is not the true reason ... I really can't post what I really would want to say ... But the safety approach will keep the tension down so you can enjoy your day ...

TC one of the biggest issues here on this subject and I learned this while fishing many hours for over 60 plus years on the water . Is people don't think, A lot of folks don't fish... So they do not see a problem via a canoe or Jet ski in what they are doing... Yes a handbook of water ethics would be great ... But I haven't seen one yet in a Boating training coarse ...

Here is food for thought from a legal standpoint ... A anchored boat or a boat that is not under way has the navigational right of way as long it is not obstructing a navigable channel... In another words .. Vessels that are under way have to navigate around the stationary boat. Now as far as a fisherman, like a pedestrian, is not always true ...

Oops ... sorry we were talking about common sense and ethics ... <'TK><:)

SalmonDaze
09-23-2014, 07:12 AM
No reference to age in the article, so I'm assuming there is none.

I'm against it.

TK sums up the salient issues. I've been through the CG courses, power squadron, and 6-pack test; learning anything is always valuable; but California is attempting to teach common sense. Stupid is as stupid does my mama always says.

Sorry . . . ain't gonna work. As most people who have ever piloted anything on water know, you can only learn respect for how a vessel responds by prudently doing it.

Simple concepts like "mass * acceleration squared" are not understood by 95% of people operating the most dangerous vehicle available: the average car. They will never have a clue about how to control a floating piece of glass or tin weighing 500+ pounds moving 5mph.

Case in point: watch the noobie on a jet ski grab for the brake the first time he approaches a dock. The only thing worse than the crack in the gelcoat is the stain in his britches.

ttitan27
09-23-2014, 07:57 AM
http://www.fishhound.com/content/california-passes-boater-education-requirement

Tennessee already has this law and has for several years now.

Any Tennessee resident born after January 1, 1989 must show the TWRA-issued wallet Boating Safety Education Certificate as proof of successful completion of the TWRA Boating Safety exam.

Pookie
09-23-2014, 08:41 AM
SalmonDaze nails it!

You simply can't teach or learn common sense. I've taken TWRA's boating course online, and once again, it is mostly common sense with a smattering of law thrown in.

Cranky
09-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Sounds like salmondaze has forgotten his cob daze, Whats wrong with a little training on how to properly use watercraft? If they learn even one thing that saves mine or someone elses life, wouldn't that be worth it?

Now the common sense and navigating around fishermen thing is a whole other matter. That ignorance will probably not change.

Travis C.
09-23-2014, 10:52 AM
I just figure it is part of the experience now on the river for me as a fisherman just the same as it is for them having to "dodge" us fools standing out in a perfectly good floating river.

I do tend to adjust my fishing around times or locations to lessen the dodging of canoe people.

The ones I wish they would give classes to are the canoe outfitters. If they are going to keep putting inexperienced boaters with kids in some cases out on a river under generation for the sake of a few $$$ then some one should have to float with them as a guide. That person should also be certified in water rescue. Otherwise once the water comes on they must be off for safety purposes.

SalmonDaze
09-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Sounds like salmondaze has forgotten his cob daze, Whats wrong with a little training on how to properly use watercraft? If they learn even one thing that saves mine or someone elses life, wouldn't that be worth it?

Now the common sense and navigating around fishermen thing is a whole other matter. That ignorance will probably not change.

My memory is bad Cranky, but not quite that bad. :p

Nothing wrong with training; more is better. That's why I was looking for age requirements in the article.

Back in the dark ages (when I was still in short pants), I had to take boater safety classes because DAD said so if I wanted to pilot even just the inflatable with 2hp evinrude.

It served me and everyone in our family well (all the kids took CG and power squadron training). Since we spent our summers on the water, everyone was also a trained lifeguard, including CPR and what later became "first responder" training. Lots of "comfort" around the water. My wife and I carried on the tradition with our kids. It gives lots of peace-of-mind knowing your loved ones are both capable and at-ease around the water. The most important lesson: respect. Simple rules are the most important: wear your PFD and always use caution.

I wish more people would take advantage of the courses offered. HOWEVER, I don't think the State mandates are going to accomplish their intended purpose. Just my $.02.

Cranky
09-24-2014, 04:12 PM
SalmonDaze, you sound like a regular PHD of water sports. CG, CPR, PFD. You must be from up there.