PDA

View Full Version : My kind of day.

Alphahawk
09-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Spent the morning at VFW Lake. Not a breeze was blowing and the water was like glass. Water temps were 75 degrees....it has dropped quick. Was not expecting too much but found the fish and the fall shell cracker bite was on! As long as I stayed in 6-9 feet of water I caught fish. Caught a total of 19 shell crackers and 11 bluegill. All fish caught on a Bison colored Trout Magnet using 2# test line. Would mark fish...throw out the marker and cast until I didn't catch anymore from that spot and find another one. The fish really fought hard in that 75 degree water. Should have stayed all day but have company coming so had to leave. Heading to Center Hill this weekend hoping the shell cracker bite is on up there.

Regards

riverhawkluke
09-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Great report and nice fish! what size jighead were you using?

MNfisher
09-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Great stuff! Looks like some dandies too in there!

Mike

Alphahawk
09-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Great report and nice fish! what size jighead were you using?

Thanks.....Was using a 1/32 head with #8 hook. I could have caught more Gills had I been using a 1/64 ounce head but I tried to keep it deep for the shell crackers.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
09-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Great stuff! Looks like some dandies too in there!

Mike

Thanks Mike. If they are on up at Center Hill hope to have some 14 inch ones.....God willing!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C.
09-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Definitely some nice ones there Alpha.

I am itching to go this weekend but after camping all last weekend I may just throw a fire in the fire pit out back instead. That was relaxing.

Alphahawk
09-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Definitely some nice ones there Alpha.

I am itching to go this weekend but after camping all last weekend I may just throw a fire in the fire pit out back instead. That was relaxing.

Thanks.....I hear you. I want to go to Center Hill this weekend but even though they are calling for just 5-10 MPH winds I may not go. I am seriously thinking of getting a Native Propel 10. I hate kayaking in the wind....any wind. According to browntrout the Propel is a game changer with the wind....but a lot of money. Got to figure out where to go tomorrow.

Regards

agelesssone
09-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Great day Randy! Nice fish too!

Alphahawk
09-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Great day Randy! Nice fish too!

Thanks Merv....love the si unit! I'd be lost now without it.

Regards

Still_learning
09-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Awesome day, and nice pics!

tacklemake
09-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Another great report and pic's my friend and are you also using a split shot above the jig to help it get down.................woody

Alphahawk
09-20-2014, 11:57 PM
Another great report and pic's my friend and are you also using a split shot above the jig to help it get down.................woody

Thanks Woody...yeah I use a size B split shot above the jig.

Regards