PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick Tailrace 09-16-2014

Alphahawk
09-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Had a good day at Pickwick today. Got into the baby stripers and decent white bass. The stripers were all 14-15 inch fish and the white bass were 13-15 inch range. Caught 11 stripers and 37 white bass. Started fishing with a 1/4 ounce jig head with a Killer Klatt Crappie Magnet and was catching too many drum. The drum in the pic is 25 inches long and I was using 6# test SOS Line. The flow was 60,000 CFS. Took a while too get the drum in. I switched to an 1/8 ounce head and the whites and stripers started killing it. Would cast up current of the cutback and let it drift into the cutback and as soon as it got there they would hammer it. Had the one large mouth. The fish were really digging in that current....lots of fun fighting them. I expect in the next 6 weeks for the fish to get bigger and really stack in there. They are lowering Pickwick to winter pool 6 weeks ahead of schedule this year to do some testing and work on the dam....so should be plenty of flow. May hit it again tomorrow.

TNBronzeback
09-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Great day of fishing!
Even them little stripers fight and fight!!!!

tcintn
09-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Randy
You are having entirely to much fun catching nice fish.
Do you have any of the new Zoey's Glow T M's?
I have tried for trout but nothing.I thought you could use there.
Ed

tacklemake
09-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Thank you my friend for another great report and pic's............woody

Alphahawk
09-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Randy
You are having entirely to much fun catching nice fish.
Do you have any of the new Zoey's Glow T M's?
I have tried for trout but nothing.I thought you could use there.
Ed

LOL......love catching fish Ed. I haven't tried that color. I brought home some pink and chartreuse Trout Magnets and a few Crappie Magnets of some colors I didn't have. My trip to the Little Red really hit home how important color can be. I knew that color can make the difference but in that clear water it was very apparent what a difference color can make.

Regards

jad2t
09-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Nice catches Randy. BTW, I'm fairly confident that first pic titled white bass is actually a small striper as well. Look at the boldness of the stripes and more than one line making it to the tail. The second white bass pic is definitely a white bass.

ttitan27
09-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Great day of fishing. Love those white bass.

Alphahawk
09-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Good Eye Jimmy. I knew someone would point that out to me. I got in a hurry last night doing that report.....thanks.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNfisher
09-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Looks like a lot of fun Alpha!

Mike

nomad60
09-18-2014, 01:59 PM
"Took a while too get the drum in" I bet it did lol

Nice fish, Alpha.