PDA

View Full Version : 3 Crappie

Still_learning
09-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi, everyone. My wife and I caught around 20 or so fish today on Old Hickory. Most were bluegill. Did catch 1 small blue cat, and 2 drum, but managed 5 crappie. The 3 keepers are in the picture. We've struggled to catch crappie this year compared to the last couple of years. We fished today for about 3 1/2 hours in spots where we've caught them in the past, but no luck. We stopped at one last spot with only 15 minutes left until we had to get off the water. We caught all these in that time period, and lost a couple more in some brush. I think we could've caught several more if we had more time. Hoping they are going to start becoming more predictable!

One other note: I've been reading many posts here about planer board and river fishing for striper. I decided to give it a try. I bought 1 board to see if I would like it. I tried yesterday below Cordell Hull dam. My advice to anyone who has not tried this: do not try it below Cordell Hull dam when 3 generators are running! I got hung up on a stump and by the time I could try to turn around, my line had spooled off my reel. I was able to retrieve the board, so I'm going to try again where some water is calm until I figure it out!

MNfisher
09-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Wow, how big is that crappie?

Mike

Alphahawk
09-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Congrats on your catch. If the 2 smaller fish are 10 inch fish is that big crappie a 16 inch fish....or better?

Regards

MNfisher
09-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Congrats on your catch. If the 2 smaller fish are 10 inch fish is that big crappie a 16 inch fish....or better?

Regards

I was thinking 18" atleast! Looks almost double the others!

Mike

Alphahawk
09-15-2014, 07:00 AM
I was thinking 18" atleast! Looks almost double the others!

Mike

You could be right.....I hope he got a measurement on it.

Regards

Still_learning
09-15-2014, 07:46 AM
The big one was 14" long and weighed 2.5 pounds. It was one of the widest crappie I've ever seen. The others were exactly 10. I lost one in the brush that felt really heavy too. I didn't really want to keep the 2 smaller ones, but with my luck this year, I needed them for the freezer!

MNfisher
09-15-2014, 02:40 PM
2.5 lbs, that's a giant! Congrats

Mike