PDA

View Full Version : Carp

Indeathinite
09-12-2014, 02:47 PM
I caught a carp recently, and I ended up throwing it back, but I seem to recall mention of it being an invasive species. So I thought I'd pose the question here:

What do you do with a Carp if you catch one? Throw it back? Leave it on dry land?

If they are to be killed, is there a proper way to do it or is it just up to the individual?

Cstew
09-12-2014, 03:00 PM
If it's a common, mirror, or koi toss it back. Put the Buffalo back in as well. Those are all fun to catch. The true invasive carp are the Asian carp.

XxthejuicexX
09-12-2014, 03:01 PM
I caught a carp recently, and I ended up throwing it back, but I seem to recall mention of it being an invasive species. So I thought I'd pose the question here:

What do you do with a Carp if you catch one? Throw it back? Leave it on dry land?

If they are to be killed, is there a proper way to do it or is it just up to the individual?

Not all carp are invasive, Asian carp are, common carp not really.

TNBronzeback
09-12-2014, 03:04 PM
If its a Silver or Bighead Carp which are classifies as Invasive Species, the game law book doesnt give any instructions on what to do if you catch one. They say they are bony but very tasty.
Its kind of confusing on the TWRA takes on the invasive species from what i could tell. They know they are a problem yet they dont come right out and say to dispose of them. They say they are tasty. Lol.
I would think if they are invasive, the TWRA should issue a mandatory kill if caught. Im sure they would word that a little more P.C. though.
Very good question!

Cstew
09-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Yep asian, silver, big head whatever you call it are said to be invasive. I guess you could make catfish bait out of them...cats love some asian. What size carp did you catch anyway? Did she put up much of a fight?

XxthejuicexX
09-12-2014, 03:18 PM
I had fish and game tell me that any tilapia that I caught at Old hickory and did not keep to either kill or throw on the bank.

Saltwaterwalt
09-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Common carp, also known as German carp, Mirror carp(weird scales), buglemouth bass, etc. has been around since the early 1900s when they brought them from Europe. Long enough, that they are not considered invasive, but have pretty much earned the title of "native carp". As mentioned, they're fun to catch.

However, the invasive carp we all hear about are the Asian carp, consisting of the Silver carp and the Bighead Carp, both which are plankton strainers. Most of you probably know the Silver as the "jumping carp," which is on countless YouTube videos. These are the fish that should not be returned to the water. A little internet research will show you that they're bad news.

I release Commons to catch again. IMO, bowfishermen (and I'm one of those too) have put quite a dent in the Common carp population over the years because they're so easy to whack, especially during spawn time. Most veteran bowfishermen consider them "beginners" fish. The Asian carp are quite a bit more challenge, and you're doing our waters a favor by removing them.

They easy to distinquish from the Common carp, as I show in the attached photos (Common carp gold with big scales, Silvers, silver with fine scales)

TNBronzeback
09-12-2014, 04:16 PM
I had fish and game tell me that any tilapia that I caught at Old hickory and did not keep to either kill or throw on the bank.

The creel check guy told me that last year by the steam plant too.
i wonder if they just dont put that in print for a reason. if the wrong groups hear of the "sense-less killing" they could cause a stink.
from what i can tell, other states are taking the hardcore approach on those asian carp with the "kill em all" order. They wont go to waste, thats for sure. Plenty of water and woodland creatures will surely eat them up.

Indeathinite
09-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Yep asian, silver, big head whatever you call it are said to be invasive. I guess you could make catfish bait out of them...cats love some asian. What size carp did you catch anyway? Did she put up much of a fight?

I guess in terms of carp sizes, it was a baby? 3.5 lbs....I caught it on accident. I was running a small shallow cricket crankbait. I hooked it in the side, so I'm assuming it didn't really bite at it. What was strange is this was literally 1 foot from the bank in VERY shallow water. I guess that is typical behavior of this fish.

Travis C.
09-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Or give to me to throw in batter then grease. :D

Cstew
09-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I guess in terms of carp sizes, it was a baby? 3.5 lbs....I caught it on accident. I was running a small shallow cricket crankbait. I hooked it in the side, so I'm assuming it didn't really bite at it. What was strange is this was literally 1 foot from the bank in VERY shallow water. I guess that is typical behavior of this fish.

That's awesome, I watched a video last night where a young man caught a 60# grass carp by snagging its tail. Talk about one hell of a fight, it took awhile to get the fish in.

Its a shame carp are considered a "trash" fish here in the states. They are a challenge and fun to pull in for sure. In Europe carp are to anglers what bass and other game fish are to us. A totally different fishing culture but interesting, they sure make bank fishing look well...brilliant. They design small lakes and ponds for bank fishing with plots or "swims" that each fisherman can setup all there gear for the session. They have some very neat looking gear, tackle, and rigs as well. All very interesting my opinion at least.

I wish carp would get more love here in the states. There are a lot of unused ponds/small lakes that could be cleaned up and turned into something like the euro style with swims etc. It would be a nice option for bank fishermen and just another style of fishing all together and that's never a bad idea. The more fishing options we have the better I say.

XxthejuicexX
09-12-2014, 06:25 PM

I enjoyed eating them last year and I am getting really excited about fishing the steam plant this year. I would throw the smalls one back and when I told fish and game that he said to kill them instead of just tossing them back.

Pookie
09-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Same for the buffalo. Buffalo ribs are the finest eating fish I have encountered. They rate with crappie.

TNBronzeback
09-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Ive had smoked "common" carp out of cold lake michigan and that was really really good!
Just whatever ya have the taste for i guess.
Im more of a "cooked" fish man myself though.....ya wont ever catch me eating raw fish sushi or ceviche....lol...thats for sure!
I will take my fillets grilled or battered & fried! Lol

Saltwaterwalt
09-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Same for the buffalo. Buffalo ribs are the finest eating fish I have encountered. They rate with crappie.

+1 Pookie on those buffalo ribs, they're great...however the filets suck, never seen so many bones in my life...like cat whiskers!!