PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Change

spottedbass
09-11-2014, 06:50 PM
I have a 1994 60 hp Mariner. Has anyone ever changed an impeller on a motor like this? If so is it a hard job or is it fairly easy? I would like to save some money if it is something I can do myself. Let me know what you think.

TerryD
09-11-2014, 08:02 PM
It is a very simple and quick job. Go to youtube and watch some of the numerous videos. First time will be under an hours work. Next time 30 minutes. It's that easy!
TerryD

spottedbass
09-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Great. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

tkwalker
09-12-2014, 02:21 PM
I have a 1994 60 hp Mariner. Has anyone ever changed an impeller on a motor like this? If so is it a hard job or is it fairly easy? I would like to save some money if it is something I can do myself. Let me know what you think.

This is off the top of my head , so as you know I have four new half inch holes in my skull so some things may have leaked out ...:eek:

I think the 94 60 HP Mariner is a Mercury ... The smaller HP Mariners in the earlier years were Yamahas... I can check my manuals when I go to the shop ... But this is from memory ...

Disassembly:

1. For safety disconnect the spark plug wires and battery ... Mark your plug wires respectively ..

2. Remove the prop ..

3. Place the motor in Forward gear.
4. Remove the bolts holding the lower unit to the exhaust housing. Note: There may be one under the Trim tab, which you will have to remove also .. Double check. NOT SURE ON THIS MODEL.

5. The shift linkage should be splined and it is located a the front of the lower unit so no coupling is required it is in front of the water pump and then your drive shaft ... All of this should fall away from the Exhaust Housing ... Now there may be two small guide pins So it may take a little persuasion BUT DO NOT FORCE ... Look for a bolt that has not been removed ...

6. The copper water tube should remain in the exhaust housing .. If it comes out reinsert in the exhaust housing ..

Impellor replacement:

1. Remove the bolts from the top of the Water pump. Slide the upper cap off of the D/S (Drive shaft) Slide the old Imp from the D/S be mindful of the keeper key ..

2. Coat the Water pump and new Imp with lithium grease .. Slide the new Imp down the D/S back to the key ... Do not put the Imp or fins into the lower half of the water pump at this time ...

3. Now slide the upper Half of the water pump down the D/S and set on top of the Imp. THIS IS IMPORTANT ! Take an adjustable wrench and connect to the flats of the spline at the top of the D/S so you can turn it Clockwise while at the same time putting pressure on the water pump top cap ... The cap will slide right down over the fins of the Imp install pump bolts ...

NOTE: NEVER TURN THE DRIVE SHAFT COUNTER CLOSKWISE, THE WATER PUMP IS NOT ROUND, IT IS ELONGATED SO THE FINS OF THE IMP CAN SCOOP AND MUST BE BIASED IN THE CLOCKWISE DIRECTION.

4. Reassemble the lower in the reverse order ... Be mindful of your water tube and shift coupling ... Also you may have to move the flywheel by hand "CLOCKWISE" to align the D/S back to the crankshaft...

Hope this helps .... <'TK>< :)