PDA

View Full Version : Little Red River Report

Alphahawk
09-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Had a great time fishing the Little Red River in Searcy Arkansas. On Sunday browntrout and I fished with guide Lowell Myers of Sore Lip Em'All Guide Service. We were warned before our trip that we had picked the worst time to fish the Little Red. No flow conditions made it difficult to navigate the river plus the impact it would have on the fishing. Roy and I decided to go anyway. We met Lowell at the Dripping Springs boat ramp at 8:00 a.m. and started fishing. The river was very low but you could see lots of trout. Once we figured out the color...chartreuse TM head with a chartreuse TM body we settled in to catching fish. It was not a fish on every cast but we thought we were doing great. Our guide was apologizing for such poor fishing....and he was being serious. They have, and keep records....of all guide trips and those go back quite a few years. Statistically the first two weeks in September are the worst times to fish the Little Red. Well if that was a bad day I would love to see a good one. We were catching 13-14 inch fat rainbows pretty regular. At 12:30 we pulled out and had lunch and after lunch Lowell thought we should drive over to the John F Kennedy access area below Greers Ferry Dam as they were going to one one generator for only one hour. When we got to the ramp the water was not on yet but we put in anyway. The pool there at the boat ramp was covered with trout near the suface of the water. I saw two huge fish that I at first thought were carp but I was told and, later saw myself....those were two massive rainbows. Easily would have been 10-14 pounds. We kept waiting for horn to blow but they had moved the time up so our guide got out of the boat and drug us over some shoals so we could get down river....hoping that the water did come on or that boat was not going to get back over the shoals going back upstream. The water came on and we fished until 5:30 p.m. and I called it. I was pooped. Our guide would have stayed a couple of more hours but I was beat. Roy used the float rod and caught the biggest fish of the trip below the dam. A really pretty rainbow. I spent the day...and whole trip twitching. At the end of the first day Roy and I had boated well over 100 trout...most of them 13-14 inch fat rainbows. Very few browns were caught. But we saw them....several massive fish tried several times to eat a rainbow we had on fighting back to the boat. On Monday Jeff Smith picked us up early morning and headed to a spot he thought we might could get some fish on low water. We were catching fish but it was slow and after being in the water for maybe only 45 minutes he decided that was too slow and loaded the boat up and drove to another spot. He told us that there was a shoal that we would have to get out and push the boat over but if we could get over it we would be on tons of fish. He took the boat right over those shoals and we did not have to get out and push but the boat took a beating....or at least to my way of thinking but he said the rocks we were hitting did not really hurt the boat just marred it up some. We fished his spot for only 3 hours as we had to drive back in the afternoon. In 3 hours we boated 134 trout...once again mostly 13-14 inch footballs. That was a dead on count as Jeff would only hit the counter if the trout was landed. We missed.....or lost well over another 100 trout. On every cast you had a trout hit. Most of them we could see as they would hit the Trout Magnet. That was really cool to see the fish taking your lure. Once again the big browns at times would show up and nip at the rainbows we were fighting to the boat. I thought I knew how to fish the Trout Magnet for trout and thought I was pretty good at it. Well Jeff Smith is a master at it and I learned a lot from him that will make me a better fisherman. He kept us on fish and always kept the boat in the right spot. We are definitely going back. We saw many huge trout. Were informed the best time for them is in October. There are few pics. Unless it is a big fish it seems there is no need to stop and take a pic. I'm OK with that but many of the trout we caught had very vibrant colors to them. Just an awesome trip and am already trying to figure out when my next one will be. Lowell Myers is a first rate guide and works very hard to get you onto the fish. I highly recommend anyone contemplating a trip to fish the Little Red to give him a call.

Regards

MNfisher
09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Glad you had a great time! Sounds fantastic

Mike

tcintn
09-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Sounds like you two had a great time.You were right on about Lowell and Jeff knowing how to put you on the fish.

Alphahawk
09-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Sounds like you two had a great time.You were right on about Lowell and Jeff knowing how to put you on the fish.

We had a ball Ed. That is an amazing place to fish. Going to talk to my son and set up another trip as soon as I can if he can get off from work a few days.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

browntrout
09-09-2014, 06:33 PM

First class operation out there. Will probably be spending more time there instead of the White River. Great numbers and size there to catch.

Roy

Travis C.
09-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Sounds like a great time.

How's the big jerkbait coming?

Alphahawk
09-09-2014, 08:34 PM

It's coming along. Roy looked at it when we were there....I was checking out the Crappie stuff....barbless hooks....Panfish Floats...new colors. He can probably give you more info. There are several new things he is working on. The Trout Magnet molds need replacing as just this month they have produced 100 million Trout Magnets! The fishing there is IMHO better than the White River. It is a first class fishery. Even though only a few browns were caught....it is full of big browns. They are all native as the browns spawn in there and they are not stocked at all. I would love to go back in October for them but don't know if I can get back that soon.

Regards

dtaylor7
09-09-2014, 08:53 PM
So glad you two had a good trip, fishing has been slow lately for me wading the Little Red and I look forward to cooler days and less pressure. I am glad you all caught plenty of fish and hope I'll have the chance to meet you two next time you're out here in Searcy!

Alphahawk
09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
So glad you two had a good trip, fishing has been slow lately for me wading the Little Red and I look forward to cooler days and less pressure. I am glad you all caught plenty of fish and hope I'll have the chance to meet you two next time you're out here in Searcy!

Thanks Dave.....looking forward to it. I am already trying to figure out how and when to get back out there....LOL.

Regards

Fishbus
09-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Well, the fishing sounds like it was terrible, and the boat looks awfully uncomfortable. Sorry you guys had to suffer so badly!

Billy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

browntrout
09-10-2014, 07:17 AM

Travis,
It is getting closer.....Trout Magnet has so much stuff going on everything just takes time. I think it will be well worth the wait.......

Roy

Travis C.
09-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Travis,
It is getting closer.....Trout Magnet has so much stuff going on everything just takes time. I think it will be well worth the wait.......

Roy

I know they will be worth the wait. I just can't wait. :D

Does he sell any barbless TM hooks?

browntrout
09-11-2014, 07:48 AM
I know they will be worth the wait. I just can't wait. :D

Does he sell any barbless TM hooks?

Travis,
Those will be out soon. We saw several bags of them.

Roy