PDA

View Full Version : No bites?

agelesssone
09-09-2014, 09:18 AM
What the hell is wrong with these fish? Lively bait dragging right in their faces!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/09/1cccf37fe33ce40fa7730f8ec6183b8e.jpg

Alphahawk
09-09-2014, 10:49 AM
I don't have a clue...Harvest moon?

Regards

XxthejuicexX
09-09-2014, 10:52 AM
El Nino.

I am thinking about going out Saturday but I am worried that the cooler temps may screw things up. I could go for a nice relaxing day of fishing.

MNfisher
09-09-2014, 11:25 AM
I have always heard the full moon is very hard to catch daytime striper. They gorge themselves at night. I have caught many a big striper and hybrid on topwater at night on a full moon

Mike

jad2t
09-09-2014, 03:05 PM
El Nino.

I am thinking about going out Saturday but I am worried that the cooler temps may screw things up. I could go for a nice relaxing day of fishing.

It's gonna be hard to pass up a day like Saturday to fish but I'm also worried the tail end of the cold front might screw things up. If I don't fish, I'll take the .22 out and hopefully knock down a bunch of squirrels.

XxthejuicexX
09-09-2014, 03:22 PM
It's gonna be hard to pass up a day like Saturday to fish but I'm also worried the tail end of the cold front might screw things up. If I don't fish, I'll take the .22 out and hopefully knock down a bunch of squirrels.

That sounds like fun too. I do prefer a 12 gauge, I don't like to miss :)

Pookie
09-09-2014, 04:33 PM
I usually just use a slingshot I made from a forked limb and a piece of inner-tube.

XxthejuicexX
09-09-2014, 05:14 PM
I usually just use a slingshot I made from a forked limb and a piece of inner-tube.

You must be better at it than me. I think I would be a better shot with my bow than a .22.

creekcrappie
09-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Lol that's me too.

tacklemake
09-09-2014, 07:04 PM
What the hell is wrong with these fish? Lively bait dragging right in their faces!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/09/1cccf37fe33ce40fa7730f8ec6183b8e.jpg

You may have been to deep with the bait because I found them just off the bottom in 8' foot of water and they were hammering top water plugs. The louder the better it turn them on but as soon as the sun burned off the fog they stop....................woody

Pookie
09-09-2014, 08:24 PM
You must be better at it than me. I think I would be a better shot with my bow than a .22.
I was just playing. I prefer a shotgun for just about everything, if you want to make sure you bring something back.

XxthejuicexX
09-09-2014, 08:43 PM
I was just playing. I prefer a shotgun for just about everything, if you want to make sure you bring something back.

Growing up squirrel hunting my grandfather never even mentioned using a .22. So I thought it was normal to use a shotgun until I was about 16. My best friend and I went one morning and he showed up with a .22, I thought he was joking.

agelesssone
09-09-2014, 09:07 PM
I've been using .22's for the last 40 years, no shotguns, just headshots or let'em go.
Same with deer. .280, 140 GR SPITZER boattail, headshots out to 200 yds (a rarity in TN where I hunt, 90 yds usually max), although I did do a neck shot last year at 90 yds because the head was behind a tree.

agelesssone
09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
And Woody, I was in 26 FOW, they weren't much interested in topwater when they are cruisin 18-22 FOW.

jad2t
09-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Growing up squirrel hunting my grandfather never even mentioned using a .22. So I thought it was normal to use a shotgun until I was about 16. My best friend and I went one morning and he showed up with a .22, I thought he was joking.

I'm resuming my hunting passion this year, it started with a rabbit hunt with my Father and I in early January and then a few dove hunts this month. I used to hunt with him as a kid but somewhere around 12yrs old I decided all I wanted to do was fish.

I remember the days of going with him to central Florida sitting in the woods with a .22 and a good scope knocking down squirrels during the cooler months. I had so much fun and they have some tasty meat on them. Like Merv said, always try for the headshot. I'm really excited about making hunting a part of my life again and moving up to larger game soon.

aero320
09-10-2014, 09:03 AM

I grew up in western Kentucky (Murray) and in the old days there were not many deer so we squirrel hunted all fall. Half of the meat that we ate was killed or caught at the lake or river. Before I was old enough to have a gun, I would accompany my dad in the woods. Shotgun was the preferred method of killing the grey squirrels that live in that area. If my dad thought there was a squirrel in a tree, my job was to walk around to the other side of the tree and "shake a bush". This would scare the squirrel and it would go up the tree and dad would shoot it. I still remember the morning I killed my first squirrel with a single shot .410!

I hunt now because of the exercise not so much the food. I set my limit at six squirrels (rather than the state law of 10) and I use a bolt action .22 to make it harder. Truth is I miss about half of the shots. I still have the recipe that mom used to cook old squirrels using the pressure cooker! Our rule here is if you kill it, you eat it.

Some mornings we would go down to Kentucky Lake (where we kept a small 14' v-bottom boat with 10HP motor) and bass fish along the banks while watching the trees for squirrels, a combination trip.

jad2t
09-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Some mornings we would go down to Kentucky Lake (where we kept a small 14' v-bottom boat with 10HP motor) and bass fish along the banks while watching the trees for squirrels, a combination trip.

In the fall, I will absolutely have my .22 with me in the yak while fishing and if I see a squirrel in the tree, it's mine! Or at least I'll give it a shot, pun intended.

aero320
09-10-2014, 09:06 AM
You may have been to deep with the bait because I found them just off the bottom in 8' foot of water and they were hammering top water plugs. The louder the better it turn them on but as soon as the sun burned off the fog they stop....................woody

Carp?

tacklemake
09-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Carp?

I'm catching bass on top water plugs...........woody

aero320
09-10-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm catching bass on top water plugs...........woody

Sorry Woody, I was commenting on the photo of the graph showing fish right off the bottom.

SAMBOLIE
09-10-2014, 09:25 PM
I've been using .22's for the last 40 years, no shotguns, just headshots or let'em go.
Same with deer. .280, 140 GR SPITZER boattail, headshots out to 200 yds (a rarity in TN where I hunt, 90 yds usually max), although I did do a neck shot last year at 90 yds because the head was behind a tree.

I have always hunted small game and birds with a 22. Shotguns do too much damage to the meat.
Nothing like shooting doves with a 22. Just watch their eyes as they fly into the sun. When the sun reflects on the eyes aim for the head.

Travis C.
09-10-2014, 09:49 PM
I still remember the morning I killed my first squirrel with a single shot .410!

Same here on that one. I still have that old break down single shot .410 in the safe. That gray I shot fell out of the tree on the other side of my family's property line fence. I was young then and scared to death to go get it. In my mind then the "law" was hiding everywhere waiting for me to step over the line. LOL...

I am kinda with Jimmy on the hunting. Hunted a ton from little to graduation then stopped all together. Of all I did shooting squirrels with a bow and quail (when they used to be plentiful around here) was the most fun.

jad2t
09-11-2014, 09:17 AM
I have always hunted small game and birds with a 22. Shotguns do too much damage to the meat.
Nothing like shooting doves with a 22. Just watch their eyes as they fly into the sun. When the sun reflects on the eyes aim for the head.

Shooting doves with a .22 would be quite impressive but I'm calling BS haha. Hey just don't ever show up at the fields I hunt. I have a hard enough time shooting them because I'm quite rusty on my aim. The last thing I need is you there to guarantee not a single dove flies toward me.

jad2t
09-11-2014, 09:19 AM
I am kinda with Jimmy on the hunting. Hunted a ton from little to graduation then stopped all together. Of all I did shooting squirrels with a bow and quail (when they used to be plentiful around here) was the most fun.

We have quite an abundant population of squirrels in Tennessee so it's a great sport to get into. I'm still debating whether to go after them Saturday or chance that the cooler weather won't hurt the fishing too badly and head to "Lake X" again.

XxthejuicexX
09-11-2014, 10:45 AM
We have quite an abundant population of squirrels in Tennessee so it's a great sport to get into. I'm still debating whether to go after them Saturday or chance that the cooler weather won't hurt the fishing too badly and head to "Lake X" again.

I am trying to decide if I want to drag the bass boat to the stones and fish Mona or maybe hit the river here in town and fish for gar, something I have not done in awhile. I just hate to waist gas and time to drive to priest area from my house if the cooler wither is going to screw things up. Are you guys hunting public land for squirrels?

jad2t
09-11-2014, 11:33 AM
I am trying to decide if I want to drag the bass boat to the stones and fish Mona or maybe hit the river here in town and fish for gar, something I have not done in awhile. I just hate to waist gas and time to drive to priest area from my house if the cooler wither is going to screw things up. Are you guys hunting public land for squirrels?

Since it will be my first time in quite a while squirrel hunting I'll probably go with my Father a couple times and hunt his land so he can refresh my memory of tactics. Once deer season starts he'll want to only use his land for that so I'll leave it alone and hunt public lands probably around Percy Priest.

I'm still 50/50 on what to do. It's not like one of these Fall cold fronts that really gives them lockjaw. That strong North wind on Saturday usually doesn't help any though. Decisions...

MNfisher
09-11-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm still 50/50 on what to do. It's not like one of these Fall cold fronts that really gives them lockjaw. That strong North wind on Saturday usually doesn't help any though. Decisions...

Early season teal and wood duck opener....go shoot you some ducks!

Mike

Halli
09-11-2014, 06:00 PM
It is very Important that ya'll go hunt'n cause It helps with my fishin. :p

I have always used a .22 for squirrels but as I get older I may have to get a shotgun for them.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/Knhalli/drunksqur_zps497dfeb9.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Knhalli/media/drunksqur_zps497dfeb9.jpg.html)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/Knhalli/squirrel_zps270d7769.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/Knhalli/media/squirrel_zps270d7769.jpg.html)

Reel Tune
09-12-2014, 08:02 AM
I would say the fish were feeding at night,\.