PDA

View Full Version : Buying used boat in tennessee

jprism
09-04-2014, 04:46 PM
It's been a long time and therefore the following questions.

Buying a used boat in Nashville Tennessee from an individual living in Nashville. Seller tells me that boats do not have titles but have a UCC document. I will get the UCC and a signed Bill of Sale...is this all I need?

Boat has an existing TWRA registration number and a 2016 sticker. Can I simply go to TWRA and change the name on the registration or do I have to purchase a new sticker?

Thanks, Jim

Heiny57
09-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Get bill of sale notarized, requirement, not sure on sticker.

Pookie
09-04-2014, 05:30 PM
It's been a long time and therefore the following questions.

Buying a used boat in Nashville Tennessee from an individual living in Nashville. Seller tells me that boats do not have titles but have a UCC document. I will get the UCC and a signed Bill of Sale...is this all I need?

Boat has an existing TWRA registration number and a 2016 sticker. Can I simply go to TWRA and change the name on the registration or do I have to purchase a new sticker?

Thanks, Jim
You will have to pay sales tax on the purchase price at the county clerk's ofc. There is a 30 day grace period before you have to register the boat in your name.

Halli
09-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Download or copy this:

Then you must check Hull ID here: https://twra.state.tn.us/boathullchecker/

http://www.nashvilleclerk.com/motor-vehicles/watercraft-boat-trailers/

My uncle was one of the greatest traveling men you could ever meet and
worked at the Davidson County Clerks office of whom gave me decent info
so I hope this also helps you.

TNtroller
09-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Get a complete and accurate bill of sale with accurate SN/VIN's on all the items purchased. Notary seal not sure on. If the boat has a current TN registration, obtain the owners card if all possible as you will have to re-register the boat with the St of TN in your name. You may or may not get a title to the boat when you register it, you will get a title on the trailer.

The UCC you mention is a financial document that is registered with the state as it denotes there is or was a lien ($$ was owed on the BMT). Make sure the lien has been recorded as paid in full. The seller should have this done or you'll have troubles. Ask for proof the debt has been paid in full.

jprism
09-04-2014, 08:34 PM
I knew I could count on you guys...thanks Jim