PDA

View Full Version : Stones River Fishing Advice

Phildeal12
09-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi there I am new to the board and appreciate all the advice I have located already. I have recently began fishing the Stones again wading and from the bank. I am not looking to catch trophy fish or move in on any ones fishing holes as I know how sacred these are. However, I was hoping to get some advice on baits and lures I can cast in the shallow waters to catch anything that will bite. Any advice was be greatly appreciated and once again I am not trying to move in anyones holes I am simply looking for a little advice on what to throw. I have been fishing crappie magnets and catching small large mouth which I indeed enjoy however I am looking for something that may be a little more consistent. But then again I do understand it is fishing. Hope someone will have some advice for me. I have been fishing below and above Nice Mill Dam and a little on the greenway and even at West Fork although this water is to deep to wade and is often to crowded to fish. Thanks in advance!

Fishbus
09-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Welcome. I'm in Murfreesboro also, though I'm just getting started with the Stones as well. There's a few others on here that fish it in the Murfreesboro area. I often go to the Duck or Elk or Caney Fork rivers, but I'm trying to learn my local river better.

They stock trout at Nice Mill in the winter, but it gets very crowded. If you wade downstream you can get away from most.

Read carefully, as those who fish the Stones below Percy Priest dam will assume you are talking about that section, and those who fish it above the lake will assume you are talking about that section!

I kayak fish, and I have a spare boat or two if you'd like to give that a try some weekend.

Good luck,

Billy

Phildeal12
09-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the advice Billy. I am fisghing the Upper Stones above the lake. I do most of my fishing from the bank and Wading because I have small children so my fishing consist only a couple of hours at a time. If I am lucky. Last Saturday a buddy and I waded below Nice Mill as far as we could go before the water began to deepen up and had pretty good success on Crappie Magnet. I am interested in finding a few more lures or baits that will give me some success as well.

XxthejuicexX
09-03-2014, 11:41 AM
What are you wanting to catch?

TroutFiend
09-03-2014, 11:45 AM
I creek/river wade quit a bit, year around also. Targeting SM & LM mostly. When I do get the boat out I still find myself in the river or working my way up into a creek. Lures that I have success with are;

Wacky rigged senko- weighted or weightless in green or black.

Shaky head rigged worms.

Rapala floating minnow shad colored, worked on top or below surface.

Weighted or weightless flukes in pearl or green colors.

Strike King bitsy tube with weighted or weightless hook.

It is surprising how big of a lure you can use in a creek. This will deter the smaller red eye or gills from constantly nibbling or ruining the quiet are hole where you are trying to pull the hog out of.

I use a med/light rod with 6lb. PLine flouro clear. Spinning reel.

Phildeal12
09-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Anything that will bite. I am not picky. I just want to be able to spend a couple of hours wetting a line without having to hear my wife complain about box of worms sitting in the outside fridge lol. Any advice would be great. I have a light weight ultra light spinning reel and just enjoy catching fish with the chance of hooking something good! I have been using Crappie Magnets lately I was wondering if itis better to jog them or use the floats that come with them?

Phildeal12
09-03-2014, 11:50 AM
I creek/river wade quit a bit, year around also. Targeting SM & LM mostly. When I do get the boat out I still find myself in the river or working my way up into a creek. Lures that I have success with are;

Shaky head rigged worms.

It is surprising how big of a lure you can use in a creek. This will deter the smaller red eye or gills from constantly nibbling or ruining the quiet are hole where you are trying to pull the hog out of.

Thanks Troutfiend I will keep all of those in mind. And thanks to all you guys. This is all good info for someone who is trying to get back into fishing.

TroutFiend
09-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Glad to help, almost forgot one other lure that works great and on some days it's all they want. Top water, this is just one that I have used a lot there are many others. A lot of times early in the morning or right before dark they will really turn on

Phildeal12
09-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Glad to help, almost forgot one other lure that works great and on some days it's all they want. Top water, this is just one that I have used a lot there are many others. A lot of times early in the morning or right before dark they will really turn on

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

XxthejuicexX
09-03-2014, 12:24 PM

Shaky head rigged worms.

^ This is spot on. I have had many a good days with the old floating rapala. I also like to throw a bitsy bug big brown/green or purple. Don't be afraid to fish larger baits. I still fish a 7" finesse worm on a shaky head for bass in the little rivers around murfreesboro and do well. A 3/8 oz double willow spinnerbait works well for me to.

Phildeal12
09-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Again thanks guy! You all have me ready to get back in the water and try again!

JKTrevecca
09-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Strike King Bitsy Minnow is my go to small water lure for catching large quantity of fish. Once in a while you'll snag a keeper but for the most part, this is a high volume lure at the sacrifice of fish size. It's a blast. I've caught so many white bass, bluegill, catfish, crappie, and largemouth on this lure that anytime I'm out using artificials this is the lure I go to if the fishing is tough. It almost ALWAYS produces. Walmart stocks em. I prefer the TN Shad and Orange Craw colors. So do the fish around these parts.

The lighter the rod/reel/line the better. I use a yellow fiberglass microlite rod/reel combo from bass pro. The thing is super slinkly light and allows you to cast this lure a country mile even though it is tiny and weighs very little.

Here is a link to it. Walmart doesn't sell it online but they stock it in-store and it's about a dollar cheaper. Read the bass pro reviews on it. It's the real deal.

http://www.basspro.com/Strike-King-Bitsy-Minnow/product/29847/

Alphahawk
09-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Try some Trout Magnets with 2# test line and you will not only catch small fish but quite a few large ones also. There is a TM product that gets overlooked a lot but in rivers and streams it is deadly.....the Trout Slayer. I need to fish it more often myself. Best of luck. All the recommendations you have received are good....just commit to them and start catching fish.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TroutFiend
09-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Here is a link for a great amount of tips for river and creek fishing techniques/lures.
Search

YouTube;

HamBrosOutdoors

Alphahawk
09-03-2014, 03:59 PM
You can do a forum search on creeksmallie and read his posts and get a ton of info about the type fishing you are wanting to do. Mike is a master of the Stones and stream fishing.

Regards

Travis C.
09-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Get you a seine and floating bait bucket. :)

My little one caught a good one. They helped catch bait and got to catch the fish with them.

))) Picture Removed (((

My oldest caught a couple smallies and txnative's daughter caught some big fat smallies too.

Alphahawk
09-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Great pic right there.

Regards

Fishbus
09-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Cuteness overload right there.

Billy

Halli
09-03-2014, 05:41 PM
That is REAL Smile. :D

I don't fish creeks but can say the trout mag is 60% more productive than the crappie mag and once used will go into your emergency grab bag!

Good luck.

SaltySportsmanTV
09-03-2014, 06:33 PM
What an Awesome pic she stole the whole show with her smile!
#BestSmile

Phildeal12
09-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Guys thanks for all the help. I am ready to get back out and wet a line this weekend. Travis that is one of the cutest pics I have ever seen. As for the fishing with the magnets? Does anyone have any advice for how to fish them? I am going to try some of the recomendations you all have given me for lures but until I get them I will have to stick with what I have. With the magnet. Do you think it is better to twitch and jig it or use the float? Again yhanks for all who have shared on the thread. I wasn't expecting it to take off like this! This is awesome!

SAMBOLIE
09-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Guys thanks for all the help. I am ready to get back out and wet a line this weekend. Travis that is one of the cutest pics I have ever seen. As for the fishing with the magnets? Does anyone have any advice for how to fish them? I am going to try some of the recomendations you all have given me for lures but until I get them I will have to stick with what I have. With the magnet. Do you think it is better to twitch and jig it or use the float? Again yhanks for all who have shared on the thread. I wasn't expecting it to take off like this! This is awesome!

I am not the pro on here, however, I will give my advice.
This is based on bank fishing.
I have had very very little success using a float with the TM. It is difficult to make myself fish it in the manner that is most productive for me because it results in lots of snags and lost jigs and TM's.
I use 2 lb SOS and either 1/16 or 1/32 jig head. Cast out and let it sink. Fumble in the pack for a cigarette with my left hand and finally put one in my mouth. Twitch the TM and the strike usually happens on the fall. If no strike leave the lure on the bottom. Reach in pocket, get lighter and light cigarette.
Twitch TM while slowly retrieving. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
If fish are active I cast and slowly retrieve without twitching (sometimes an occasional twitch).
I actually think the Berkley Gulp hellgramite is as good or better than the TM. I prefer the black with red fleck. Use same equipment and hang on.
Here is the Gulp. http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Gulp!-Hellgrammites/product/12052205232144/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=12052205232144&kpid=12052205232144_Black-Gray

DO NOT TAKE ANY ADVICE FROM AGELESSONE (MERV).

agelesssone
09-04-2014, 09:37 AM
She is just waaaaaay too cute! Did you Photoshop all that cuteness into her?

That picture is a wallhanger, fer sure!!

XxthejuicexX
09-04-2014, 10:00 AM
All this river fishing talk has me wanting to fish some of my smaller areas this weekend, that or Old Hickory I got the itch to flip..... some docks.

Travis C.
09-04-2014, 11:58 AM
She is just waaaaaay too cute! Did you Photoshop all that cuteness into her?

That picture is a wallhanger, fer sure!!

Luckily she took after her mom. :)

jad2t
09-04-2014, 12:29 PM
That pic is half smile and half "I can't believe I'm holding this smelly, slimy thing". Great picture!! That one definitely belongs in a frame and kept for a lifetime!

Phildeal12
09-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Anyone try the stones this weekend? Have any luck? I was only able to fish for a couple of hours yesterday and wasn't able to make it very far.

Westwindmike
09-08-2014, 10:57 PM
I fished Medical Center Pky today and the bass were not biting at all. Switched to the Panfish Magnet and caught a bunch of little Bluegill and Sunfish.

Phildeal12
09-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I fished for a couple of hours as well. No bass at al. Had a few aggresive blue gill bites but didn't bring any in. Just received my shipment of trout magnets and am ready to give them a try!

Phildeal12
09-09-2014, 09:08 AM
I fished Medical Center Pky today and the bass were not biting at all. Switched to the Panfish Magnet and caught a bunch of little Bluegill and Sunfish.

Mike, were you wading or fishing from the bank? I was thinking about wading there a little but was unsure how deep he water is?

XxthejuicexX
09-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I fished for a few hours Sunday, thought I was going to kill it with the cloud cover..... One fish on a D bomb. I had multiple fish slap at the frog but no takers. I ran into another boat and they were struggling just like me.

dennyboy
09-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Is there a size difference between the Panfish Magnet and the Trout Magnet? On the TM website it seems like they're saying that a Panfish Mag is a TM in the best colors for panfish. i.e. They are the same size. Is that right? The thing that is different, they say, is the shape of the jig head.

Mike... did you use a float?

Was the bridge area, up to the dam still fenced off due to construction?

Thanks... Dennis

Alphahawk
09-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Is there a size difference between the Panfish Magnet and the Trout Magnet? On the TM website it seems like they're saying that a Panfish Mag is a TM in the best colors for panfish. i.e. They are the same size. Is that right? The thing that is different, they say, is the shape of the jig head.

Mike... did you use a float?

Thanks... Dennis

The jig head has a longer shank hook....thus they named it Panfish hook. IMHO it gives a better hook set than the regular TM hook on bluegill. The TM hook is designed with the short shank so that minimal damage is done when hooking a trout. Most trout when caught with the TM hook the hook is in the top of the mouth. The Panfish hook gives more hook ups in the corner of the mouth when I catch bluegill with it.....which I prefer. You are correct....the TM body is same size.
Regards

Halli
09-09-2014, 06:20 PM
No active fish in the Stones on Sunday for me and the river was slow as well.
I seen someone in a green kayak but he was keeping to himself and not saying and a couple fellows in an mid 80's bass boat.

Soon the River will be bountiful!

I wore my arm out with the tm and was skunked which is rare.

Phildeal12
09-10-2014, 08:20 AM
I am hoping the river picks up soon in the skinny waters. Does anyone think this cooler water moving in will help the fish move into these areas?

XxthejuicexX
09-10-2014, 08:32 AM
I am hoping the river picks up soon in the skinny waters. Does anyone think this cooler water moving in will help the fish move into these areas?

I am not sure but I am thinking about heading up and fishing the Mona area of the stones this weekend.

tbrad1970
09-10-2014, 09:09 AM
My brother and I kayak fished a section of the Stones this past Saturday. We caught a mixed bag of LM and SM. We were fishing a tournament and finished with our best 6 fish at 95.25 inches. Fish were caught on buzz baits, poppers, spinner baits, biffle bug, swim jig and structure jig. Biggest fish was over 17 inches. We lost a couple that were probably pushing the 18 to 20 inch size. The Stones does contain some nice bass and is a great place to kayak fish.

Tight Lines!

riverhawkluke
09-14-2014, 09:37 AM
I do not fish the Stones very often, but I have had a lot of luck with LM and SM on zoom speed craws in any natural crawdad color. I fish it on a small jig head most of the time but it also works well texas rigged. I fish it like any other creature bait.

Phildeal12
09-30-2014, 08:57 AM
I posted these on the weekend fishing thread. However, I thought I might put them on my own thread since they were caught on the Stones River using some of the advice that I was given here. These were all caught on Crappie Magnets fished with a float thrown out and slowly dragged back to us. We have been catching all types of blue gill and brim. I have also caught a few decent size shell cracker. It seems the bigger fish are in the deeper part of the river as most of the bass where caught fishing directly in front of us in the channel or just off it. I know these fish do not seem very large but on a small lightweight spinning reel it is a thrill to land one of these and watch it come up out of the water while you fight it.

dennyboy
09-30-2014, 01:28 PM
I posted these on the weekend fishing thread. However, I thought I might put them on my own thread since they were caught on the Stones River using some of the advice that I was given here. These were all caught on Crappie Magnets fished with a float thrown out and slowly dragged back to us. We have been catching all types of blue gill and brim. I have also caught a few decent size shell cracker. It seems the bigger fish are in the deeper part of the river as most of the bass where caught fishing directly in front of us in the channel or just off it. I know these fish do not seem very large but on a small lightweight spinning reel it is a thrill to land one of these and watch it come up out of the water while you fight it.

Good fishing! You are getting the knack of those Magnets fast. I've tried them a few times without a single fish. Just a few bluegill nibbles. If you were fishing the Med Center Greenway area, did you notice if there is still construction from the bridge up to the dam?

Dennis

XxthejuicexX
09-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Good fishing! You are getting the knack of those Magnets fast. I've tried them a few times without a single fish. Just a few bluegill nibbles. If you were fishing the Med Center Greenway area, did you notice if there is still construction from the bridge up to the dam?

Dennis

Construction is still going on. The wife and I walked the greenway sunday. They have the entire dam blocked off to the point you can not even cross the bridge. The water is low and very nasty, stagnant scummy moss everywhere.

NismoFish
09-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Where did you catch those Smallies? They elude me..

Phildeal12
09-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Where did you catch those Smallies? They elude me..

On the stones river. Sorry I just can't give my spots out. I was using the crappie magnet however. Fishing them slow on a retrieve with a float.

NismoFish
09-30-2014, 05:30 PM
On the stones river. Sorry I just can't give my spots out. I was using the crappie magnet however. Fishing them slow on a retrieve with a float.

I'm not asking for GPS coordinates....just which Fork. I'm assuming East.

Phildeal12
10-02-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm not asking for GPS coordinates....just which Fork. I'm assuming East.

Actually these were all caught on the West Fork. Great fighting fish. May not have size but fun to catch on 4lb test spinning reel and light weight rod.

Phildeal12
10-03-2014, 01:05 PM
We hung another one last night!

NismoFish
10-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Actually these were all caught on the West Fork. Great fighting fish. May not have size but fun to catch on 4lb test spinning reel and light weight rod.

I found some on the West Fork but have never been able to catch any. I went yesterday to both forks and caught a bunch of rock bass (redeye). I saw plenty of large and smallies but couldn't get any of them to bite. Even on the beloved Trout Magnet, I got nothing.