PDA

View Full Version : Striper AKA RockFish OldHickory 25+LBS...

SaltySportsmanTV
09-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Today was an amazing day! I had one goal in mind putting my friend Dirk AKA "Fishoholic" and his daughter Abigail on there first Stripers and I did just that! There is nothing like sharing the experience, never gets old. Out of sheer excitement we guesstimated these fish weight at 25lbs each or more, the digital scale read 21lb (first fish), 19lb (second fish), which in my opinion was a pretty good guesstimates..
Check out the pictures below...
Great times, God Bless.

Alphahawk
09-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Congrats on the catch. Still waiting for them to show up consistently below Pickwick.

Regards

SaltySportsmanTV
09-01-2014, 08:19 PM
I appreciate that Alpha and I am looking forward to them showing up on the constant as well...
Thanks

Alphahawk
09-01-2014, 08:27 PM
What was your water temp today? Those of you that fish below Old Hickory Dam have an advantage over Pickwick. The water below Pickwick is much warmer than below Old Hickory....will be early October to get it down so the striper come up there and stay a while.

Regards

Adrian
09-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Very Nice Salty! Where did you launch?

SaltySportsmanTV
09-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks Adrian, it was great times... Launched at Sanders Ferry Park.

TerryD
09-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Tell me the guide DID have his PFD on....must be hiding behind the fish?
Great pics of fish and a happy father and daughter. Good times and memories for life!
Good job!

JKTrevecca
09-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Nice fish salty! I left that area below the dam around 11. When we're u down there? Did you catch your bait above the dam?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

SaltySportsmanTV
09-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Hahaa... Lol yes, the guide is hiding his PFD behind the fish lol... Yes it was great times!

Fishaholic
09-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Yes it was a blast. Regarding the PFD of course he wore it! Safety comes first on the Bluewater Sportsman, he took it off strictly for taking that picture and promptly put it back on. Don't know what water temp was off the top of my head. There was no generation to speak of other than the locking through of boats. Only one other boat fishing so I'm sure that helped.

SaltySportsmanTV
09-01-2014, 10:00 PM
We headed there at about 1, so just missed ya.... Ya we got some above the dam and below.

SaltySportsmanTV
09-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks for affirming the prompt safety first guidelines for BWS.
Glad we made today a grand time for you and Abigail.

Adrian
09-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks Adrian, it was great times... Launched at Sanders Ferry Park.

Sanders Ferry Park? What did you do, jump over the Dam?

SaltySportsmanTV
09-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Hahaa... No man I locked threw. Lol plus I don't really like that narrow long boat ramp on the down side.

tkwalker
09-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Below Old Hickory Dam In H-ville ... is Cheatham Lake ... <'TK>< :)

SaltySportsmanTV
09-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Oh wow, for some reason I thought it was the Cumberland river? Still nailing down specific waterway names, but at least you must give at least half credit as the water from the Old Hickory spills into Chatham Lake. :-)
Thanks for the help TK

tkwalker
09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
:eek:Oh wow, for some reason I thought it was the Cumberland river? Still nailing down specific waterway names, but at least you must give at least half credit as the water from the Old Hickory spills into Chatham Lake. :-)
Thanks for the help TK

Jonathan, I only bring this up because ..Yes it is the Cumberland River Chain ... Not all lakes were stocked with the same species ... For instance ...

OH was never stocked with Hybrids ... A few have locked through from Cheatham which was stocked ... It is important to know the elevation above sea level on each Fishery as well as the species it was stocked with ...

Now all of the Cumberland chain has been stocked with Stripers ... A short story ... I was fishing a Bass tourney (GABA) on Barkley in Dyers Creek back in the 70's I was using a 11 foot Lamiglass Hogging Stick ( The old timers know what I am talking about ... ) At the break of dawn you attach a shad 300 series Bomber( the one that actually looks like a bomb and are obsolete) And work the banks before you switch to plastic baits ... Well To my estimation ( the poles are rigged with 30 Pound test) I had the SXXX* scared out of me when a 25 + Striper took it, I set the hook and the war was on .. ...

You have never heard so much string Zinging in all your life !! Around the boat at least 3 times Where ever he wanted to go He went ...And when He decided to leave He/She ...Did !! Notice the * After SXXX* ... Also on Barkley ..Head of Yellow creek ... Break of dawn ... Beautiful sunrise and listening to nature The Cardinal started the Symphony of birds ... And all of a sudden I thought someone had shot a 10 Gauge shot gun at the bow of my boat !!! Water spray and my ears hurt from the concussion ... Beaver !!!!! Smacked that Tail !!! :eek:... Sorry off subject ... Just old memories that pop up ... <'TK>< :)

SAMBOLIE
09-02-2014, 06:25 AM
Nice fish. And such a wonderful day for a father and daughter.

SaltySportsmanTV
09-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Ya absolutely I do know how important this information truly is to specify fishery's while fishing them, good story wish I could have been there sounds exiting!
Thanks again TK
><SALTY>

SaltySportsmanTV
09-02-2014, 07:18 AM
I agree, on both. The fish were great, and the father daughter experience a memory of a lifetime! Thanks "Sambolie"

Alphahawk
09-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Water temp?

Regards

agelesssone
09-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Very nice fish!

Gizzard shad or threadfins?

And always keep that PFD on below the dam!~!

SaltySportsmanTV
09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Regrets I failed to check the water temp on my unit yesterday, sorry for the lack of reply.

SaltySportsmanTV
09-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Gizzard shad were primarily the bite, but we were fishing both.
Thanks for the compliment on the fish!
Your right, Safety always comes first!

FloatNFish
09-02-2014, 01:46 PM
And always keep that PFD on below the dam!~!...unless you're providing Merv with some free advertising! Haha.

Great looking fish, Salty! Congrats!

Alex

SaltySportsmanTV
09-02-2014, 07:41 PM
77.7'f :-)

SaltySportsmanTV
09-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Hahaa... Absolutely hooking a friend up with a freebee.... Thanks for the compliments!

Alphahawk
09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks.....88 degrees below Pickwick.....huge diff.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaltySportsmanTV
09-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Holy smokes 10 degree difference! That is heat stroke or hypothermia difference! Now I know why you asked.

Alphahawk
09-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Holy smokes 10 degree difference! That is heat stroke or hypothermia difference! Now I know why you asked.

Two complete different fisheries for stripers. A 20 pound fish is a big deal down there. But....when the water gets right you can catch a 100 or more in a day...from the bank, from 5 to 14 pounds on a regulars basis. But that cold water on the Cumberland is the ticket for the big boys....as TK taught me. I have shown the guys that fish down there regularly some pics of the 30 plus pound fish from the Caney....and tell them of the catches you guys on the forum post about. When I tell them that is not a huge one and the Cumberland River System produces them regular in the 35 to 50 pound range I don't think they believe it. Amazing what a difference in water temps do for the growth of that specie.

Regards

SaltySportsmanTV
09-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Absolutely well said and valid points. As a simulular feeling lies when transitioning (for lack of better words) from a salt water fishery to living here in Nashville now. The differences in appreciation for what type fish are caught and what lb, for instance the Stipers/Rockfish that are found and caught in salt water are known to be much bigger ect....

SaltySportsmanTV
09-05-2014, 04:42 PM
What temp do the Stripers start rolling threw over there?

Alphahawk
09-05-2014, 04:58 PM
If that was addressed to me when it gets to high 70's it starts getting good.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaltySportsmanTV
09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Sounds good, and soon!:)