PDA

View Full Version : Smyrna, TN Fishing Report 8/30/2014 [Bank Fishing - Multiple Locations]

Indeathinite
08-31-2014, 05:11 PM
TL;DR Summary: Only caught one fish but it was pretty good size. Saw some monsters at an unexpected location, in which I wasn't sure there were any fish at all. Will be returning there to see if I can have any luck...!

Started out at 4:30 AM at Fate Sanders Recreation Area. It was too dark to do much of anything or see anything. Didn't get a single bite here.

5:30 to 7:00 AM at Fate Sanders Marina. Hooked 3, caught 1 (largemouth?) on a Zara Spook. 3.5 lbs (see attached image).

7:15 to 8:30 at Stewart's Ferry Boat Ramp: Not a single bite. This area seems to be heavily overfished. I never catch anything here, it seems. I DO lose a lot of lures there, though.

8:45 to 11:30 AM at Sharp Springs Recreation Area (EA Shelter Lake): I didn't catch anything here, but I did hook a few. Also, I saw some of the BIGGEST fish I've ever seen while fishing in this lake. It's hard to tell, but I believe some of these were Largemouth Bass. There's a small path just to the right of the dock...take it back into the trees. The water is VERY shallow back here. So shallow that you can see the fins sticking out of the water in some cases. There were lots of huge fish feeding on smaller fish in this area. It was tough to maneuver any type of bait back in here, so I managed to just "plunk it down in front of the fish" a couple of times, and they would hit it.

Unfortunately, I couldn't land any of them, but I will be going back here again soon to try to see if I can catch any of these monsters. Anyone ever have any luck here?

11:45 to 12:45 PM at Jefferson Pike Recreation Area: No luck. Not even the first hit--at this point, I think it was too warm, and this area is too shallow.

Alphahawk
08-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Nice report.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNBronzeback
08-31-2014, 07:27 PM
Good detailed report!
I feel your pain about losing lures.
I scattered close to half a pound of lead heads in the cumberland today.
Beware of lead poisioning in fish where ever ive been! Lmao

creekcrappie
08-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Great report. I feel the same about stewards creek boat ramp. Never really catch anything, but always lose some lures on all the hung up line.

Indeathinite
08-31-2014, 10:57 PM
One thing I've noticed about myself...I have a hard time determining what type of bass specifically I'm catching. I can pretty well determine if it's a smallmouth bass based on the Vertical lines; however, beyond that, I tend to struggle on figuring out the specific species.

Does anyone have a good reference for figuring this out?

TNBronzeback
08-31-2014, 11:25 PM
The TWRA site and regulations book are good places to start. I have a hard time telling the difference between spots and largemouth sometimes.....i just see a green bass and chuck it back. Not being a bass fisherman really....a bass is a bass to me. :)