PDA

View Full Version : Shad catching on OH lake

agelesssone
08-29-2014, 07:10 AM
Anyone have a reliable location for catching 4-6 inch shad on Old Hickory lake?

I need to fish the lake for stripers and have never done so nor have I tried to cast net bait there.

Still_learning
08-29-2014, 08:09 AM
There were a ton around that size last Friday below the dam. All right beside the fishing platform and along the bank down from there. I have not seen any that size on the upper side this summer at all. I have seen several 2 inches or less.

XxthejuicexX
08-29-2014, 08:09 AM

I need to fish the lake for stripers and have never done so nor have I tried to cast net bait there.

Two words, ten letters.........

Travis C.
08-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Oooh oooh, I have two words that work but I will wait and see if I am right. :D

XxthejuicexX
08-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Oooh oooh, I have two words that work but I will wait and see if I am right. :D

If it's a super secret location that few people know about...... then you are correct.

MNfisher
08-29-2014, 09:12 AM

I know I know!!!

Mike

agelesssone
08-29-2014, 10:52 AM
LOL, lotta help you guys are.
Tons of three inchers. Thanks Salty your advice got me on them.

XxthejuicexX
08-29-2014, 10:55 AM
LOL, lotta help you guys are.
Tons of three inchers. Thanks Salty your advice got me on them.

Glad I could lead you in the right direction, if you need a good brown trout location on priest I might be able to help you out also.

Pookie
08-29-2014, 12:18 PM
oooh oooh, i have two words that work but i will wait and see if i am right. :d

bait shop

Or, perhaps you are in the ritzy part of town. In that case, it would be:

bait shoppe

jad2t
08-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Glad I could lead you in the right direction, if you need a good brown trout location on priest I might be able to help you out also.

I know where you can catch some good size Walleye on Priest.

agelesssone
08-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Heck Jimmy, everybody knows the walleyes are right there mixed in with them saugers, right in party cove.

That secret got out looong ago. Why do you think all them boats are in there every weekend. They's all sauger and walleye fishin.

SAMBOLIE
08-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Heck Jimmy, everybody knows the walleyes are right there mixed in with them saugers, right in party cove.

That secret got out looong ago. Why do you think all them boats are in there every weekend. They's all sauger and walleye fishin.

Not many walleyes left. The Muskie cleaned them out.

Travis C.
08-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Not many walleyes left. The Muskie cleaned them out.

Way to let the cat out of the bag there SAMBOLIE... :mad:

I just got my shipment of these in to chase them.

http://www.friendsofwishmaster.ca/db_img/large/9_Rolf_Chicago.jpg

Now everyone and their brother's sister's old boy friend's uncle named Merv is gonna be out there. :)

XxthejuicexX
08-29-2014, 07:49 PM
So, I am fishing the wrong end of the lake for walleye and sauger? I might have to make it to party cove this weekend, although I bet it's going to be fished pretty hard. On a serious note, I think I read somewhere that the silt bottoms on priest made it hard for the walleye to reproduce....... Did I pull that out or my arse or does anyone know. My grandfather said that when he they moved from Pittsburgh PA there were walleye in priest

Travis C.
08-29-2014, 08:43 PM
I suppose it could have been pre and post dam construction. They are in the cumberland.

TNBronzeback
08-29-2014, 08:45 PM
So, I am fishing the wrong end of the lake for walleye and sauger? I might have to make it to party cove this weekend, although I bet it's going to be fished pretty hard. On a serious note, I think I read somewhere that the silt bottoms on priest made it hard for the walleye to reproduce....... Did I pull that out or my arse or does anyone know. My grandfather said that when he they moved from Pittsburgh PA there were walleye in priest

Ive always understood that the same way. Walleyes prefer hard bottom any time they can find it any time of the year. I think that is why saugers do so well in the river systems down south, with the random current flows and drastic water level changes, they cant find a stable comfy place to do what they need to do. Thats what ive always read atleast. Vernon Summerlin has several good articles about TN walleyes.
As far as priest goes, i dont really know. From what ive read, the TWRA made several big Whoopsies with thier walleye stocking programs a decade or so ago. Bringing several different walleye "species" (for a lack of a better term) some from state A and some from state B and they never jived. Some lakes down here though have a pretty good walleye fishery, so they are getting it all worked out.

Travis C.
08-29-2014, 09:08 PM
There was a true river strain that disappeared after the dams were built on the cumby. That is what mabry harper caught which is the current world record not long after OH dam was completed.

TNBronzeback
08-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Yeah thats the common denominator ive read....dams went in...out goes the walleyes....from lack of spawning due to increased silt content. Beast of a walleye that was too.

XxthejuicexX
08-29-2014, 09:53 PM
so how does old hickory have the walleye population but not priest? OH seems more like a nasty river than priest, to me JPP is more rocky than anything.

TNBronzeback
08-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Maybe they tried it in the past but werent successful. Whether from thier own methods thru lack of education or the fish just didnt take. Maybe inncorrect forage base? Fish usually find a way to survive and adapt to the dominate forage but with hybrids and stripers being eating machines they might have focused thier efforts on other lakes for walleye growth.....like normandy, D.H. and C.H.
Thats a good question though. Thats just speculation on my part.

tkwalker
08-30-2014, 12:04 AM

Oooooooo!! Big problem !! ... On OH you will catch more gizzards usually than thread fins ... But easy to keep alive ... Or Skippies for the trophy's (Everything depends on the time of year)...harder to keep alive ... Note : Threads and Gizzards you will need to net ... If you ever catch a skippy with a net it was an accident !!

Note: State Regs. Max net 10 foot Radius . (20 ft. Dia. ) These are Horses to cast ... (one reason my rotary cuffs are shot !! Oooh !!) But the Reward is that you have less cast to make ... Merv you are man enough to handle this ... learn to cast them ..there are many methods that you don't have to put them in your mouth !! Merv... I bought the Mono Menhaden nets from Memphis net and twine ... ...

Dams are the best place to catch Gizzards and Skippies ... Also especially in the fall of the year when the stripers will be moving up stream go back into your creeks off of main channel and start looking for flips !! Gizzard heaven !! ... Hope this helps . <'TK><:)

tkwalker
08-30-2014, 12:20 AM
so how does old hickory have the walleye population but not priest? OH seems more like a nasty river than priest, to me JPP is more rocky than anything.

Eyes and sauger need running current to live ... JPP is not stocked with either ... The lakes like the Dale and CH and the river chain ... Are stocked with the latest and greatest strain ... (PS the International walleye record is held on OH in 1960 (True OH was formed in 1957, I sat with my Dad at the end of Lock Four Rd and watched a barge pushed over an almost exposed lock as it was being backed up) .............. Sorry back to the Walleye ... 25 pounds ... By a fellow by the last name Bilbray which is nephew worked for me .. And I hate to say partook of this fine fried fillet ... So it is true the dams stopped the migration of the Eyes and the Great sturgeon that use to swim these waters ... I also have personal insight on these prehistoric 8 to 10 foot schools that swam these waters before the dams ...

Also JPP water temp has a lot to do with it ... No eyes or sauger ... Also JPP if you notice no record stripers .. It will maintain Hybrids ... Because of what they are warmer temp species ... ...

As far as a nasty river .. I don't know what you reference this on ... yes it has a lot od debris at time because it is a flowing river BUT!!.. OH it is one of the coldest river's in the state .. That is why it has held two state Striper records ... Hey .. it is fed by the Dale and CH average upper stream temp in the summer is in the 60's at the upper end ....

If you want to get serious about your fishing you need to start your research on the fisheries and what they produce and why .... <'TK><:)

agelesssone
08-30-2014, 03:18 AM
As always, TK you a wealth of information about our waters here in TN. Many Thanks!!

I need to come sit down with you and let you expound more to round up my education on JPP and Old Hick.

When did you want to do that??

tkwalker
08-30-2014, 11:15 AM
As always, TK you a wealth of information about our waters here in TN. Many Thanks!!

I need to come sit down with you and let you expound more to round up my education on JPP and Old Hick.

When did you want to do that??

Any time Merv ... <'TK>< :)

MNfisher
08-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Great info TK, but walleyes do not need current to live. Thousands of lakes in MN no creeks or rivers and are packed full of walleye.

Mike

tkwalker
08-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Great info TK, but walleyes do not need current to live. Thousands of lakes in MN no creeks or rivers and are packed full of walleye.

Mike

Mike, beats me I talked to TWRA Bio's years back and the said JPP is not a conducive habitat for eyes and Sauger ...I assumed current ... Maybe water temp which all three fisheries have in common ( The Dale, CH, and OH)

Your from the land of a thousand lakes ... You can probably throw a light on average water temps in the north .... <'TK>< :)

XxthejuicexX
08-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Mike, beats me I talked to TWRA Bio's years back and the said JPP is not a conducive habitat for eyes and Sauger ...I assumed current ... Maybe water temp which all three fisheries have in common ( The Dale, CH, and OH)

Your from the land of a thousand lakes ... You can probably throw a light on average water temps in the north .... <'TK>< :)

I think the reason no walleye or sauger are in JPP is because all the white trash floating around. OH has logs, and various other debris JPP has white trash. I think I hit something on OH every time I fish that lake. BTW I don't like OH, never catch fish I blame Bush!

TNBronzeback
08-30-2014, 07:21 PM
I think the reason no walleye or sauger are in JPP is because all the white trash floating around. OH has logs, and various other debris JPP has white trash. I think I hit something on OH every time I fish that lake. BTW I don't like OH, never catch fish I blame Bush!

Thats the problem....Bush.....if you were a Coors man ya wouldnt get skunked. Lol

MNfisher
08-30-2014, 07:47 PM

Definitely could be water temp.

Mike

Halli
08-30-2014, 08:00 PM

Ah ha Well there ya go me being a Halliburton I seem to find fish most every time I fish Old Hickory and find it SO diverse that I need no land locked lake even though I live in Hermitage betwixt the two.

Ack Weel