PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned - use 65lb braid

jad2t
08-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Fishing Saturday morning in the thick lilypads. Was catching several smaller bass using topwater frogs then a big girl hit. She gave me a good tug then wrapped in some lilypads and broke my line as well as my heart. The video has the sound taken out to omit the NSFW language I used when I realized what happened :(

I was told by a few people to get 65lb braid for this and that 30 wasn't enough. I said it was overkill even sarcastically calling it anchor rope. Lesson learned. I bought a spool of it that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xG4KWP2HpE&feature=youtu.be

Alphahawk
08-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Oh yes.....the old first your line then you get the heart broke. We've all been there and it is one sick feeling. Good clear video.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agelesssone
08-24-2014, 06:49 PM
I love how he turned the camera off real quick. Think maybe that was when the tirade of expletives came rolling out?

Dakota
08-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Where were you fishing lily pads?

jad2t
08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
I love how he turned the camera off real quick. Think maybe that was when the tirade of expletives came rolling out?

Haha no they came out when you saw my arm slam down.

jad2t
08-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Where were you fishing lily pads?

Not to sound like a jerk but I was tipped off to this lake by some people who like to keep it unnamed and it's only right to continue to do the same thing. It's not a big lake so nobody wants it to get hammered. Definitely a kayak or canoe only lake though. Bass boats would never get in, maybe a small johnboat but that's about it.

XxthejuicexX
08-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Man, I hate to see that. Stinks you had to learn your lesson the hard way. 65lb power pro is my choice. I have been thinking about trying the zero impact but it's rather expensive for every day use. I flipped 30lb braid until earlier this year, broke 4 fish off this spring on Guntersville one had to be around 7lbs. Next trip down started flipping 50lb, no more break offs.

Pookie
08-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Man, I hate to see that. Stinks you had to learn your lesson the hard way. 65lb power pro is my choice. I have been thinking about trying the zero impact but it's rather expensive for every day use. I flipped 30lb braid until earlier this year, broke 4 fish off this spring on Guntersville one had to be around 7lbs. Next trip down started flipping 50lb, no more break offs.

65# braid is the same diameter as 12# mono. Under usual conditions, I tie a 12# mono leader to the braid. With a frog and fishing in the slop, I tie it straight to the frog, no leader.

XxthejuicexX
08-24-2014, 09:18 PM
I go braid all the way for a frog no matter where i am fishing it. I also fish any the of top water bait on braid. I have some 20lb Floroclear for leaders when fishing soft plastics that I have yet to try.

Travis C.
08-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Man I hate to see that Jimmy. You'll get her next time.

The water looked great by the way. ;)

nomad60
08-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Oh man that does suck.

Nice looking lake though and that fish will be waiting for you ;)

creekcrappie
08-26-2014, 01:48 PM
That really stinks. That is why I would rather use line that is overkill than a little light. It seems like 30 lb. would have been strong enough though.

SAMBOLIE
08-26-2014, 01:56 PM
That really stinks. That is why I would rather use line that is overkill than a little light. It seems like 30 lb. would have been strong enough though.

Isaac, I'm with you. A 1 or 1 1/2 lb fish running around those pads should not break 30 lb line.

XxthejuicexX
08-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Most of the time it's the knot that fails. I have read test where the knot strength can be half of the line strength. In the past when I have broke fish off with braid it's when I am flipping a short distance and it's when I set the hook.

SAMBOLIE
08-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Most of the time it's the knot that fails. I have read test where the knot strength can be half of the line strength. In the past when I have broke fish off with braid it's when I am flipping a short distance and it's when I set the hook.

I think the knot slipped. No way that 30 lb even at 1/2 strength would break from the look at that pull standing in a kayak.
I have tied braid to the boat cleat and it was hard to break when pulling with the trolling motor.

XxthejuicexX
08-26-2014, 02:59 PM
I think the knot slipped. No way that 30 lb even at 1/2 strength would break from the look at that pull standing in a kayak.
I have tied braid to the boat cleat and it was hard to break when pulling with the trolling motor.

You could be right, I know I feel like I could tow a truck with 65lb. My braid was about a year old and 30lb this spring. I broke 4 fish off setting the hook while flipping docks. I could not find my anchor rope last night, thought about using my 65lb as a rope for my cap block. Thankfully my grandfather had extra rope in his boat