PDA

View Full Version : Williamsport 8/21/2014

Alphahawk
08-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Took another break from moving for a few hours this morning. Headed out to Blue Cat at Williamsport. I caught 16 large mouth along the transition off the dam. I kept thinking I would get a larger one but all of them were 13 inches....some a little smaller. I was throwing a Rapala #3 UL. Several of the bass did not hit until I was ready to lift the lure from the water at the kayak....that was a lot of fun. Those lures will run from 5 to 7 feet using 2# test line. Water temp was 82 degrees when I started this morning. Goldeneye is low but is still open to fishing. I didn't go out there to really fish. My Huminnbird 899 was sent in to be fixed from having an 800 kHz white out problem and it was waiting for me on the porch when I got back yesterday...so I just had to go out and see if the problem was fixed. Not every unit comes with a HD transducer but I paid the 85 bucks for the exchange but had never seen what the HD part looked like due to the issue. All of the 2014, 899...999...and 1199 models had this problem. I was happy with the unit as it was but wanted what I paid for to work. It took Humminbird several months to come up with a fix for this problem. Once notice was given that they would fix these units I sent mine in right away. Humminbird didn't even have the unit for a complete week and had it back to me. I must say I'm impressed with the 800 kHz signal. I don't quite have it tuned in yet but there is much sharper detail than the 455 kHz signal. Looking forward to getting back out and playing around with it some more. The wind was beating me up today or would have stayed out longer. Tried to stay parallel to the dam but each time I hooked a small bass by the time I got him landed and unhooked I was in the rocks. Still a great day though. Some of the images I uploaded may or may not show hybrid...I can't say for sure. I can say they were schooling fish. On several of the images you can see the shadows of the fish...which means they are higher up in the water column.

Regards

Dakota
08-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Always like the screenshots thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNtroller
08-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Those pics look even more clear than the others you've posted. :)

XxthejuicexX
08-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Those shots are awesome! You think that one weird shot with the long lines could be nessie?

TNBronzeback
08-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Awesome pics!
Man thats some pretty fine detail!

Alphahawk
08-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Those shots are awesome! You think that one weird shot with the long lines could be nessie?

No juice that is in all likely hood one school of the ten thousand 8 inch crappie in that lake...LOL. Now this pic on the other hand I am not sure of. At first I thought it was a shadow of the line of fish...but I don't think so. Could be a piece of something left over from the mining days out there...I just don't know. Any guesses?

Regards

Alphahawk
08-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Awesome pics!
Man thats some pretty fine detail!

Thanks guys....I am quite anxious to get back on the water with it now.....maybe hit up Center Hill.

Regards

Alphahawk
08-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Always like the screenshots thanks for sharing

Thanks Dakota...I need to try and remember to go back over the same area with the screen in di or 2d but always just keep on going. I need to start doing the short recordings then I can review it at home in all 3 modes and look at it. In my research I have found that the fisherman in Australia prefer the 800 kHz over 455 no matter the unit be it Hummnibird or Lowrance. The two signals are different though in the degree of coverage. If my reading is correct the 455 kHz is the one to use to look for Gill beds.....and I can attest to finding plenty of those but now would like to go back over them and scan those with the 800 kHz mode and see the difference.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
08-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Alpha, you would be my grandfathers best friend if you would show him so of those beds on center hill. He loves to fish that lake for big gills. I will vouch for some of the trips we have had up their. We have filled many a cooler full of big gills in a day.

Alphahawk
08-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Alpha, you would be my grandfathers best friend if you would show him so of those beds on center hill. He loves to fish that lake for big gills. I will vouch for some of the trips we have had up their. We have filled many a cooler full of big gills in a day.

I can do that. I plan on hitting it hard in the fall as there won't be hardly any wind and I will find a bunch more and share those coordinates with you. Then come spring just pull up on em and catch fish.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
08-21-2014, 10:23 PM
I can do that. I plan on hitting it hard in the fall as there won't be hardly any wind and I will find a bunch more and share those coordinates with you. Then come spring just pull up on em and catch fish.

Regards

Sounds good, I would like to get together and watch you catch a bunch of fish on the trout or crappie magnet and try to learn something.

JKTrevecca
08-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Alpha - Thanks for taking the time to share your pix. You have me considering upgrading units. I have a 597di combo unit now and I love it but I don't get anywhere near the clarity of images you have. In fact, I rarely use the DI and often think I should have just purchased the Sonar/GPS combo. As far as the 800 vs. 455, my understanding it the 800 is for deeper water because the cone width is more narrow (but more capable of accurate readings in deeper water. I.E. more than 100 FOW or ocean stuff). So if one were using the 800 in 20 or less FOW, he would be scanning a much more narrow field below the boat vs. the 455. Is this correct? You seem to know what you're talking about on this stuff.

Gees... What did we do before GPS and high quality electronics? I know for me, I'd never be able to pinpoint the hybrids and stripers on JPP w/o it. Now I have the GPS trolling motor. It's kind of like cheating. I'm ok with that!!!

Alphahawk
08-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Alpha - Thanks for taking the time to share your pix. You have me considering upgrading units. I have a 597di combo unit now and I love it but I don't get anywhere near the clarity of images you have. In fact, I rarely use the DI and often think I should have just purchased the Sonar/GPS combo. As far as the 800 vs. 455, my understanding it the 800 is for deeper water because the cone width is more narrow (but more capable of accurate readings in deeper water. I.E. more than 100 FOW or ocean stuff). So if one were using the 800 in 20 or less FOW, he would be scanning a much more narrow field below the boat vs. the 455. Is this correct? You seem to know what you're talking about on this stuff.

Gees... What did we do before GPS and high quality electronics? I know for me, I'd never be able to pinpoint the hybrids and stripers on JPP w/o it. Now I have the GPS trolling motor. It's kind of like cheating. I'm ok with that!!!

Thanks.....your theory is correct. But.....as I found out yesterday the clarity of the 800 kHz is going to allow me to find more fish. You will notice a lot more shadows than in my earlier posts since March. That is because of the angle of the 800 kHz image. Many say your si range should be set to 3 times the depth when using 800 kHz. So in 20 feet of water setting the si range to 60 feet would be the max you should see....according to theory. So that means if I am scanning for Gill beds in 7 feet of water I could only see out to 21 feet. I will be back out on the water by the middle of next week and I will test that theory out. I do know that using 455 kHz I can find Gill beds 50 feet away in as little as 2 feet of water. While I can tell if Gills are in a bed with the 455 I need to see if I can see them clearer with the 800 mode. One reason a lot don't use 800 kHz mode is that when fishing in a lake with a mud bottom the return is much darker with 800 kHz and makes it a little more difficult to make out what is there. Most of those picture like images one sees from side imaging sites are made with the bigger units and the screens have a much better resolution than my 7 inch screen. I am certainly no expert in this but the theory is the same as in in radar's and I had a 38 year career studying and working on those. So to me...now that I have seen 800 mode in operation.....I will use the 455 like an acquisition radar and the 800 mode as I would a tracking radar once I have acquired the target..so to speak. I am sure you know that the di on the Humminbird si units is not a true di signal but a composite from the 2 si crystals. To some that matters but to me I can still tell there are fish under me...the depth....size....and sometimes a good guess of the specie. I do think Lowrance has the edge on the di. I am sure Merv and Aero use their units to target and go after those stripers. Would love to see them post some images. There is no doubt in my mind that I could have caught a lot more fish out in the deeper water yesterday if I was setup for fishing 15 feet deep. Unfortunately I am not and I am terrible at fishing deep out of a kayak. Trolling in a Big Game Prowler II with a big si transducer hanging over the side is no easy task. As for me I just won't put my kayak in now without my si unit. It spoils you and they don't lie.

Regards

nailman_83
08-22-2014, 01:01 PM

You actually want a lower frequency in deep water. Most deep water sonars are 200/50 instead of 200/83.

If you look at Alphas last picture of his original post you will see the thermocline and the picture will be fuzzy. I only use 455 because it works better deep and has better coverage shallow. Sometime I will switch to 800 if I want a better image of structure but when I'm fishing I only use the 455.

Dakota
08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Here's a good 455 versus 800 you can see the 800 seems to be a little sharper image. 800 is on the bottom. Found this online
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/22/f3a2bbb37127bb521bf5f9f1b019cc4b.jpg

Alphahawk
08-22-2014, 05:18 PM
You actually want a lower frequency in deep water. Most deep water sonars are 200/50 instead of 200/83.

If you look at Alphas last picture of his original post you will see the thermocline and the picture will be fuzzy. I only use 455 because it works better deep and has better coverage shallow. Sometime I will switch to 800 if I want a better image of structure but when I'm fishing I only use the 455.

I assumed, and I was talking about area of coverage for side imaging. I think everyone knows the lower the frequency the deeper the signal can travel...but deep is a relative term and way too many variables come into play here. The 455 shoots out at 180 degrees and the 800 is approximately 130 degrees. The deeper the water the more area covered with the 800 beam say versus at 6 foot depth. No way will the 800 kHz signal shoot say 100 feet straight out to the side and return an image in 2 feet of water at the 100 foot range. But if you are in 80 feet of water it will go quite a ways out down in the water column and give you a better detail image. Since the 800 kHz has not been working on my unit I have no real world experience with it except for yesterday. But I will test it out thoroughly in the next few months. I usually keep my si range out to about 75 feet max and most of the time only about 55 feet. The 455 kHz has served me very well so far but I really do prefer the better images from 800 kHz. Time will tell which one I use most. I still think it interesting that from forums on the net where the Australians chime in they all tend to use the 800 kHz settings. I know the top gurus of Humminbird keep their units set on 455 kHz...that being Humminbird Greg and Doug Vahernberg. I also know one can get their head wrapped too tight in the theory of this stuff...LOL. While if I had the money I am sure I would have all the top of the line stuff with real CHIRP in the 2d and side imaging. But that is a lot of money...and a lot more hardware...way too much hardware for a kayak....LOL.

Regards

Alphahawk
08-22-2014, 05:19 PM
nailman what unit do you have?

Regards

nailman_83
08-22-2014, 06:11 PM
998c si.

Alphahawk
08-22-2014, 06:21 PM
998c si.

That extra inch of screen makes a world of difference.

Regards

nailman_83
08-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Regards

Yep but I'm ready to step up to the Onix.

XxthejuicexX
08-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Regards

MNfisher
08-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Lol!

Mike

TroutFiend
08-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Bahaaa!!!

Good one juice, I miss Mr. Scott.

TNBronzeback
08-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Here's a good 455 versus 800 you can see the 800 seems to be a little sharper image. 800 is on the bottom. Found this online
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/22/f3a2bbb37127bb521bf5f9f1b019cc4b.jpg

Geeze that is amazing! Its like a picture!
I think i could sacrafice some cone diameter in shallower water to get a sharper image like the bottom picture.