PDA

View Full Version : Crappie/trout magnet knot?

XxthejuicexX
08-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Do you guys actually tie the knot the show on their website or just go with what works for you?

Travis C.
08-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Do you guys actually tie the knot the show on their website or just go with what works for you?

I use a surgeons but that is only because I am not confident in the other one. Others use that knot with success but when ever I tie it the confidence levels plummets after looking at it.

XxthejuicexX
08-19-2014, 09:19 PM
I use a surgeons but that is only because I am not confident in the other one. Others use that knot with success but when ever I tie it the confidence levels plummets after looking at it.

I am going to try it tomorrow, I hope I have some fish to test it out on.

tcintn
08-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Improved clinch knot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXWRZe784QU

Alphahawk
08-19-2014, 09:41 PM
I have always used the TM knot for tying leader since I started fishing the TM about 5 or 6 years ago. The knot has never failed me. I have landed many large fish with the knot. It does look ugly......but it is easy to tie with older eyes and I don't want to mess with success. Here is a pic of a fish my son landed a couple of years back with that knot. I haven't posted a pic of a fish in so long thought I would get one in.....LOL. But it is a good knot. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/19/34a40c4e5c12fdefe29ee89391268af0.jpg

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkwalker
08-19-2014, 11:41 PM
No Matter what size or bait on Mono Shell Crackers on Night crawlers, Trout Mag's, Cranks , ... World record Stripers on live bait ... from 2 pound to 50 pound .... ... Palomar !!... It has never failed me !! :)<'TK><

jad2t
08-20-2014, 05:14 AM
Headed to the Caney? I always use the uni to uni knot when going from 4lb mono to 2lb flouro for my TM setup and use a clinch knot to the jighead. Some use loop knots and swear by it. I actually plan to try that out next time I use these, it can't hurt.

With the recent 24/7 sluice discharge of 250cfs the water below the dam is producing some great trout fishing. I'm headed out to my secret honeyhole pond in a bit to hopefully get a couple more good submissions for the Kayak Anglers For A Cause tournament. If I succeed, Saturday may very well bring me to that cold, clear water to chase a different species of fish. Some colorful fish.

SAMBOLIE
08-20-2014, 06:17 AM
Palomer knot is excellent.
I mostly use the loop knot to get more action from the bait.
The Canoe Man Loop knot is easier for me to tie than the standard loop knot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfHU6Dr9dKM

After tying the knot be sure to hold the lure and pull on the line to test the knot. I have tied it wrong a time or two and it broke when testing. Never broke on a fish or a snag (yet).

aero320
08-20-2014, 06:21 AM
No Matter what size or bait on Mono Shell Crackers on Night crawlers, Trout Mag's, Cranks , ... World record Stripers on live bait ... from 2 pound to 50 pound .... ... Palomar !!... It has never failed me !! :)<'TK><

Palomar for me too!

Alphahawk
08-20-2014, 06:53 AM
I use a palomar knot also to tie to the jig but I thought he was talking about the leader knot.....one is not going to use a palomar knot to tie a leader on with. Which knot are you talking about juice? The knot to the jig or the knot for the leader? If you are talking about the "Magnet Knot" as he calls it in the video, that is a version of the pitzen knot that is very easy to tie. I have never used that knot as I always use a leader and I would waste a lot of leader tying that knot the way it is shown in the video.....but he is using that knot for tying the Crappie Magnet only and not using a leader. That is a very easy way for old eyes and fumbling fingers to tie a knot but I have never used it. I may try it though when not using a leader.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
08-20-2014, 07:49 AM
I was talking about the knot to the crappie/trout mag. I tie the uni to uni for the leader. I have never heard of the knot so I was wondering if it helped fish the magnets horizontal easier. I tied it last night and I am going to try and find some crappie today after work, I will see if I like it. I will say, it was easy to tie.

Alphahawk
08-20-2014, 08:17 AM
I was talking about the knot to the crappie/trout mag. I tie the uni to uni for the leader. I have never heard of the knot so I was wondering if it helped fish the magnets horizontal easier. I tied it last night and I am going to try and find some crappie today after work, I will see if I like it. I will say, it was easy to tie.

Man I hope you get em. I need to see some fish pics. Being tied up with my move is killing my fishing time...may take today off and try Pickwick.......tired of packing boxes.....LOL.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
08-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Man I hope you get em. I need to see some fish pics. Being tied up with my move is killing my fishing time...may take today off and try Pickwick.......tired of packing boxes.....LOL.

Regards

I am hoping it goes well, I am going to hit a deeper stretch of the stones by my office and see if I can find some, probably a waist of time but oh well. I am going to fish Friday night under the lights on priest again for crappie. I hope they show up earlier than last time out.

SalmonDaze
08-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Leader to line = albright

All others = Palomar

sbrison
08-20-2014, 11:38 AM
leader to line = albright

all others = palomar

+1

TroutFiend
08-20-2014, 12:08 PM
I am hoping it goes well, I am going to hit a deeper stretch of the stones by my office and see if I can find some, probably a waist of time but oh well. I am going to fish Friday night under the lights on priest again for crappie. I hope they show up earlier than last time out.

Have you seen where they are doing work on the stones at the medical center parkway area above the dam?
I drove by at lunch today and seen a crane setup...

agelesssone
08-20-2014, 12:20 PM
SAMBOLIE, I had never heard of the canoe man knot so I followed the link. Great knot super easy to tie. That will now be my favorite loop knot, great for top water popping baits. THANKS!

XxthejuicexX
08-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Have you seen where they are doing work on the stones at the medical center parkway area above the dam?
I drove by at lunch today and seen a crane setup...

I have not, that is where I am heading to fish. If I can not get in I guess I will go to another area.

TroutFiend
08-20-2014, 12:56 PM
You will see three large pipes that look like they are pulling water from above the dam and pumping it across the wall to the lower section.
On upstream from that in the first righthand bend is where they are working

Westwindmike
08-20-2014, 06:56 PM
They have all the dam access areas fenced off and no trespassing signs around it. I put pics up on Facebook on the Nashville Stream Runners page and the TKA page too.

SAMBOLIE
08-20-2014, 07:00 PM
SAMBOLIE, I had never heard of the canoe man knot so I followed the link. Great knot super easy to tie. That will now be my favorite loop knot, great for top water popping baits. THANKS!

There you have it fellow members. A knot so simple that Merv can tie it. :)

Thanks Merv. If you still have my phone # give me a call. I have some baits to give you if you can use them.

XxthejuicexX
08-20-2014, 07:29 PM
It was all fenced off and the river is about 6-8' low. It was a waist of time for me. I wonder what they are doing? I was going to fish friday night for crappie but my grandfather is leaving town now so I doubt I will go. Here are a few pics from today.