PDA

View Full Version : Carthage 08-17-14 My first attempt at solo video

TNBronzeback
08-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Figured i would take a crack at some video footage of my outting yesterday morning. I have an IFlip HD Video Recorder. It works pretty good, i just wish it had the wider angle/panoramic view like the go-pro's do. So you cant see EVERYTHING going on but i think its a decent video for a last minute thought. I know have to mount the camera higher in the boat though to get more in view.
So anyways, to fishing, i did pretty good, but in my typical fashion, i thought about the camcorder too late and didnt get too much on video in regards to landing fish, i landed a few at first light, but didnt have camera on. I will be more prepared next time though. I lost about $40 in various baits yesterday, so if your ever in the area and land a striper that has any of the follow baits in thier mouth let me know, i wouldnt mind having em back HA HA : large blue chrome back/orange belly husky jerk, pearl bomber with a black ladder back, rainbow trout reef runner or a 2-wire A rig with 1/4 lead heads and pearl flukes.
I had some decent gear, but it just wasnt enough to turn them fish once hooked, im gonna have to up my braid weight and jump to a #30 leader or something cause once i hammered them fish right to the underwater lumber they went. Ive landed alot #20's in east TN and several over #30, but it was in deep open water so line abbrasion wasnt a factor. Braid im running now is #40 so its not thin, but thats what, 10-12 lb diameter or something, i dont remember the ratio, but its not enough, or atleast it wasnt for me.
Plenty of saugers too closer towards the dam, just no eaters.
Im gonna try to sneak back out saturday morning for a few hours to see if i can improve on my video skills.
DISCLAIMER: This video was cut up, but not edited in regards to some words...if ya know what i mean for small listening ears. i dont say much, but if you have the volume up to hear the splashes, i do let a word or 2 slip. My facial expressions are hilarious!
Let me know what ya think!

http://youtu.be/tLgx32J4xvQ

commdd
08-18-2014, 01:52 PM
I would have to say that was GREAT! to hear the strikes was awsome! those bigger stripers are beast. nice video!

Haf2hunt
08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
That camera does a fine job. Nice video. That water looked perfect!!

TroutFiend
08-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Great video, that cold water and current keeps those beasts in pretty good shape.

Travis C.
08-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Nice video man.

Those fish have a bad habit of stealing things that aren't theirs. :)

blink
08-18-2014, 03:36 PM
looks like you need to go up to 80lb braid, or maybe 25lb CXX.

Cool vid. nice largemouth.

MNfisher
08-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Sweet stuff. How many stripers did you land?

Mike

TNBronzeback
08-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys! yeah its fun looking back at the video! LMAO...the look on my face when i set the hook on that LM....priceless! I love braid fishing though when ya set the hook and hear that little drag slip....that little ZZZZTTTTT....love that.
im good with my rod selections, but i do need to up the braid. Im always torn on that cause i dont wanna hook a fish then just winch it in and not have to worry about breaking off ya know, but at the same time, ya need to be able to have some kind of control over them to avoid donating a bunch of baits to the middle tn striper charity breakfast like i did yesterday. LOL.

commdd
08-18-2014, 07:12 PM
bronze, I am no braid expert but seems to me that if a baitcasting reel has the capability of say 12#s of drag its not going to matter if you put heavier braid on, you may need a reel with stouter drag. would like to hear comments on this. thanks.

agelesssone
08-18-2014, 07:21 PM
A heavier drag would be a benefit but with the heavier braid, he wouldn't be getting broken off as often. 40 lb braid casts very nicely and will handle most fish you are likely (key word LIKELY) to encounter.

Just don't fish with braid in freezing temps. Your reel will turn into a block of ice.

TNBronzeback
08-18-2014, 07:23 PM
I see what your saying....the drag on the reel is smooth.....without using a leader i keep the drag a little looser to prevent hook tear outs as well as help on the initial run when ya hook em. My straight mono rod, #30 test, i have the drag cranked down pretty good since the mono will give some allowing me to horse them a little more.
Im just looking to up the braid for the abbrasion resistance when they head for cover. It wont solve the problem completely but it should help me persuade them out of the timber.
Those hogs know where every rock, limb and snag is in that river...lol....unless i switch to saltwater gear, i dont think i can land em all.
Still fun though!

Jim
08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Use a long fluorocarbon leader. That stuff is amazingly abrasion resistant. Way better than mono and with the braid mainline you can still cast a mile. I use 40lb fluoro leader for most stripers and go up to 80 lb when the cover is thick or the fish are really big. I have pulled some fish out of some nasty snags that I was sure were going to break off.

Even with those setups, you can't winch a good size striper straight to the boat, but you may be able to turn them when they are headed toward a bad place.

Good luck and cool video,
Jim

TNBronzeback
08-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Im gonna give that a try Jim. Im not a striper chaser per se' so im not gonna buy a new set up for that specific type of fishing, but i think i can tweak my gear now and give me a better chance to increase my chances around timber.
Wishing i would have held onto my musky stick when i moved down. Lol.

agelesssone
08-18-2014, 09:57 PM
We're not gonna land every fish we tie into, but we do want to give ourselves every opportunity to try.

Just keep fishing and having fun trying to entice them into taking your offering, and when they do, have a battle royal. If you get them in the boat, BRAVO! If not, you both live to try it again.

Remember that God gave us dominion over all the animals and fishes in the seas.....but He didn't say ANYTHING about the CANEY!

TNBronzeback
08-18-2014, 10:53 PM
I do my fair share of losing them.....thats for sure.
I talked to several guys....got some great information but all that knowledge and prep goes right out the window on that first topwater smash. Ive got some "striper" rods, but its for the drifting/trolling/live bait rigging....not really casting friendly to me.
It was a riot! Im gonna up my line and try a different rod to see if that helps me out any saturday morning! If not....well back to academy for more baits and que up the benny hill sound track for my next video!
LMAO

tkwalker
08-18-2014, 11:50 PM
We're not gonna land every fish we tie into, but we do want to give ourselves every opportunity to try.

Just keep fishing and having fun trying to entice them into taking your offering, and when they do, have a battle royal. If you get them in the boat, BRAVO! If not, you both live to try it again.

Remember that God gave us dominion over all the animals and fishes in the seas.....but He didn't say ANYTHING about the CANEY!

X2 Merv ... and TNBRONZEBACK ... Nice post and video .... And by the way ... Ralph Dallas who holds two state Striper records and also holds the largest Smallmouth record for the Caney in the same confluence where you caught the LM ..... Just a little trivia <'TK>< :)

agelesssone
08-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Nice video TN, and what a perfect looking morning and water for some topwater action. Almost makes me envious!

Hope you land a couple of those thirty-forty pounders next time.

And when you do, remember to resuscitate them for quite awhile before releasing them.

You need to hold them by the tail and wiggle them around to work off the lactic acid they build during the fight to the boat. Kinda like us when we work out hard and our muscles get really pumped. They'll start kicking back at you when they get recovered.

TK, add a little more to this comment as you are much more experienced at releasing large stripers. I tend to be like TN and make my releases BEFORE they get to the boat!

TNBronzeback
08-19-2014, 07:43 AM
thanks Ageless,
I remember a year or so ago, maybe more that topic came up about reviving stripers to make sure they swim off on their own will and not just tossed back.
i will certainly do what i need to for as long as it takes to get them back up right and swimming. i will say though, that it is nice to not even have to worry about that when ya lose em after a short battle, in my case, some very, very short battles. LOL