PDA

View Full Version : striper/shad/balloon techniques

TNBronzeback
08-15-2014, 06:12 PM
If i wanted to blow up a few balloons and tie some live shad to it, is there a right or wrong way to go about doing that? I plan to position myself upstream from possible striper haunts along the shore and let the current float my balloon rig to/along shoreline structure. I figure ballons would be a cheap alternative to jumbo bobbers but im wondering if there is a prefered method of attaching the balloon to the line? I know i dont want to make a knot in the line for strength reasons but other than that....any other tips? Methods? Suggestions?

aero320
08-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Just blow the balloon up and tie it off. Rap the balloon stem around the line and tie a simple overhand knot. This will keep the balloon in place while still allowing it to slip on the line as you reel the fish in. I use balloons in the winter and early spring with about 18 feet of line between the balloon and the bait. Works great.

Don't blow the balloon up too much.

TNBronzeback
08-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Cool! Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna give that a shot this weekend!

agelesssone
08-16-2014, 07:54 AM
I would think an overhand knot would tighten up as pressure was applied to it.
A slipknot instead, would release itself once the balloon was removed from the line.

StriperFan
08-16-2014, 12:16 PM
You can also tie the balloon to a planer release clip and clip it to the line, then remove the clip as you real it in, basically the same as a snap weight.