PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Pier in Destin

creekcrappie
08-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Anyone know anything about this. I have been there a few times, can't remember the name of it. I am going there august 30 and I am planning on fishing off the pier. I am looking for tips on what to rigs to try, what bait to use and what I will catch there. Thanks!

Reel Tune
08-15-2014, 08:35 AM
You'll have mostly Flounder, Red fish, Spanish Mackerel, and King Mackerel.

I would use a MED HVY, to HVY action rod that is at least 7.5' long due to the long casts you will need to get your bait out a little further than everyone else. For line I would use either 40lb braid, or 15lb mono, and use a leader 50-60lb flouro, or steel.

The terminal tackle will be dependent of what you are fishing for, but keep some 1oz-2oz egg weights handy depending on the current, and 2/0-4/0 circle hooks.

For bait I would use cigar minnows, squid, shrimp in that order.

jad2t
08-16-2014, 03:33 AM
A heavy leader is important for pier fishing because, as Jeremy mentioned, there will definitely be mackrel and they are toothy. They'll slice through thin mono as soon as you set the hook, literally.

Try a weighted popping cork too. The weight will help you get good casting distance and use whatever live bait you choose a few feet under the cork. Pop it loud and watch for it to go under!

Dakota
08-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Anyone know anything about this. I have been there a few times, can't remember the name of it. I am going there august 30 and I am planning on fishing off the pier. I am looking for tips on what to rigs to try, what bait to use and what I will catch there. Thanks!

http://okaloosaislandpier.com

Here you go there website on the latest. Dakota

Fishaholic
08-24-2014, 08:07 AM
if you need some heavier tackle let Salty or I know we can hook you up with some stuff for sure