PDA

View Full Version : OH Dam last night 8/9

Travis C.
08-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Hit the Cumberland below OH Dam last night around 11pm in the kayak and fished until 5am or so. They were running the number one generator so I wasn't too concerned with flow by myself on the gates side.

First fish of the night was a foul hooked 4-4.5ft long gar. It was hooked in his underside around the tail fin. That thing pulled for ever before I could see what it was and crushed my hopes of it being a striper. After that, I dead stick / drifted trout magnets near the bottom against the dam and wing wall catching quite a few bluegill. Those ended up being my cut bait for the main target drum or catfish. I ended up catching 0 drum but caught 10 or so cats bringing 4 home. Some were really small ones but I had several better ones get off trying to land.

All in all productive night as the wife wanted some catfish for supper.

Also ran into lupanfreitag at the ramp launching as I was leaving. Nice to meet you man and hope you guys got into them.

Alphahawk
08-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Congrats on your catch. I miss night fishing but no longer have the eyes for it.

Regards

Travis C.
08-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Congrats on your catch. I miss night fishing but no longer have the eyes for it.

Regards

Thanks its wearing on me some since my weekends have been busy. Nothing like getting up a 6-7am saturday with the kids then fishing all night and go to bed finally sunday night.

Here's a couple of the cats:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfbfe13a9.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseb62f6e1.jpg

lupanfreitag
08-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Travis it was a pleasure meeting you too.

We caught maybe 10 fish in four hours. Very slow. Action really picke dup 15 mins before generator 2 and 3 came on line.
Two cats (small) and two drum and 6 stripers, all small.
A friend of mine had something huge on but it got to the boat and dove, peeling drag and pulled off. It was Heath's first time to the dam and he said I didn't think it was that big. I told him, at the dam you never know till its in the net. He told me today he is still thinking of that fish. Cautioning him I noted that once you catch a huge striper or cat, bass seem more like bait than gamefish.

We are going again next week in the evening.
I'll keep y'all posted.