PDA

View Full Version : 2 Days with Ian Huey on Old Hickory

jprism
08-06-2014, 07:41 AM
A friend of mine from Jackson MS came up and we spent 2 great days on Old Hickory with guide Ian Huey. On the first day, Aug 4th, in total we caught 25+ LM using mostly shaky heads with green pumpkin worms and crank baits. The majority of the bites came from ledge fishing or humps. On the 2nd day, Aug 5th, the LM were there but mostly had lock jaw...towards the end of the day Ian put us on some schooling strippers and smaller LM which were caught on top water plugs...always fun. This is the 3rd time I have fished with guide Ian Huey on Old Hickory and you will never find a harder working and pleasant guide. If you want a fun and learning day on Old Hickory give Ian a call (615) 944-3570 or visit his web site at http://fisholdhickory.com/ you won't regret it!

Halli
08-06-2014, 05:10 PM

That's a great amount this time of year did Ya'll not get any pics as I need to find schools like that, what area did Ya'll fish?\

jprism
08-06-2014, 06:15 PM

That's a great amount this time of year did Ya'll not get any pics as I need to find schools like that, what area did Ya'll fish?\

Remember that's 3 people fishing or 18 hours! Nothing of any size...most were caught ledge fishing inside bends south of the 109 bridge all the way down to the dam.

Hope this helps.

JDH8504
08-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Ian is a heck of a guy and a great guide. Me and a buddy of mine went out with him in March and it was cold, windy, and rainy -- but Ian put us on the fish and we had a great day anyway. We were throwing jerkbaits and umbrella rigs for most of the day.

At the end of the day, Ian asks us if we want to try out a flat that he had seen before but never fished. "Sure" we said. Next thing I know, my buddy hooks into what he thinks is a log. All of the sudden we see a big white flash. After fighting it for 15 to 20 minutes on a 6'6" medium action jerkbait rod with 10 lb fluorocarbon, we get this 30 pound striper in the boat.

Ian was kind enough to let us follow him back to his house where he filleted the striper and put it into freezer bags for us. What a guy.

Edited to correct the month.