PDA

View Full Version : Browns Creek Lake

Alphahawk
08-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Made the trip to Browns Creek Lake today. I didn't catch much.....no Gills at all. I got a few yellow bass and a few crappie. The crappie were legal though as 8 inch is the mark there and one can keep 30. The lake is full of yellow bass and crappie. No doubt in my mind if one wanted a limit of 30 eight inch crappie it should be no problem. The lake is just as I remember. It is very pretty there and you are right Jimmy there is hardly any traffic there. I will probably hit it again in spring when the Gills are a lot more active. It is just a neat lake to kayak in. There was one couple on the lake trolling for crappie and one high dollar bass boat looking for that 17 pound fish....LOL. My personal opinion is that the bass fishing is better at Williamsport...but just my opinion. I took no fish pics. I was throwing a Rapala UL 3. This lure can run as much as 8 feet deep with 2# test. Sure don't like dealing with the treble hooks though. The fish were out in open water or close to a lay down. Posting some sonar shots. The single fish I think is a bass but I don't know for sure. The others are yellow and crappie mixed and the one labeled yellows because that is all I could pull off of it. I had one big large mouth flash on the Rapala at the kayak. Had the yellow bass been a little bigger would have stayed and fished more for them...but they were small. It was really like a hot fall day on the water.....not a lot of humidity.....very nice. Having a medical procedure done in a.m. and if all is OK I am going to fish tail race at Pickwick...I got to get on some fighting fish.

Regards

JDH8504
08-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the report, Alpha.

Tight lines.

jad2t
08-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Hope everything goes well so you're back on the water soon! I read about some monster bass being caught in that lake but it must have been a while back and things aren't the same anymore. I plan to hit Williamsport Saturday morning if the lightning stays away.

Fishbus
08-05-2014, 08:55 PM
When are you planning to be at Pickwick? I'm down in Florence all week, but I doubt our schedules overlap.

Fished the Tennessee at McFarland park tonight till the bugs chased me out.

Bill

Alphahawk
08-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Hope everything goes well so you're back on the water soon! I read about some monster bass being caught in that lake but it must have been a while back and things aren't the same anymore. I plan to hit Williamsport Saturday morning if the lightning stays away.

Thanks Jimmy. Even though I don't target large mouth out at Williamsport I am out there a lot when they are caught. If I wanted some nice bass out of a small lake I could cover in a kayak the lakes at Williamsport would be it. I know you have done well out there. The last time I was on Blue Cat I noticed a thermocline starting to form.

Regards

Alphahawk
08-05-2014, 09:03 PM
When are you planning to be at Pickwick? I'm down in Florence all week, but I doubt our schedules overlap.

Fished the Tennessee at McFarland park tonight till the bugs chased me out.

Bill

Just depends on water release Billy.....I don't really have a schedule...LOL. Checking my records from the past couple of years Pickwick tail race has been my best bet for this time of year....or the Caney.

Regards

RebelYelp
08-06-2014, 05:21 PM

My dad caught a 13lb 1oz bass out of BCL in the 80's. There was an article in TN outdoors (or whatever the Sportmans License magazine is called) where the TWRA mentioned it a couple of issues back. TWRA also shocked up a 14+ a few years ago.

Growing up we went there alot..for obvious reasons, but i personally have never had much luck.

I dont have a pic..but next time im at my folks house i will snap a picture and post it....its freakin huge

RY

Tnriverluver
08-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I've fished there twice in the last few weeks trolling crankbaits and did quite well with the smallest crappie being 11 inches. Most were close to 12. Last year I did some bream fishing using crickets and wore their butts out along with a couple of nice cats. The bream are decent sized but nowhere near as big as I catch in my local Lake Graham. Video of bream fishing last year after trying for lockjaw crappie. Browns does get a lot of pressure most days and It is usually almost impossible to find a place to park. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUhuwXO9JRU&list=UUwQYEn9IDPJOagBqt6A70Vw

RebelYelp
08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
My dad caught a 13lb 1oz bass out of BCL in the 80's. There was an article in TN outdoors (or whatever the Sportmans License magazine is called) where the TWRA mentioned it a couple of issues back. TWRA also shocked up a 14+ a few years ago.

Growing up we went there alot..for obvious reasons, but i personally have never had much luck.

I dont have a pic..but next time im at my folks house i will snap a picture and post it....its freakin huge

RY

I found some pics...

Jig and Pig. End of Feb or early March

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w541/kurtholmes79/13f5a082abf1281dca5e8c38af21ee48_zpsedc1d832.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w541/kurtholmes79/248cc475adf3c70cf2eefa84e4766110_zps37e019d9.jpg

Alphahawk
08-07-2014, 05:46 PM
I found some pics...

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w541/kurtholmes79/13f5a082abf1281dca5e8c38af21ee48_zpsedc1d832.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w541/kurtholmes79/248cc475adf3c70cf2eefa84e4766110_zps37e019d9.jpg

Nice fish!

Regards

SAMBOLIE
08-07-2014, 05:58 PM
I found some pics...

That is a big fish. Is that the anchor in it's mouth.:)