PDA

View Full Version : White River Trip

Alphahawk
07-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Picked up browntrout in Franklin last Friday and headed to Mountain Home Arkansas. We were both pumped knowing what kind of action we were going to have. When we arrived early evening and saw the mud in the river my heart sank. The left side of the river....going up stream....was like chocolate milk. The center was very stained water and a little of the left side of river was clear. The problem was coming from upstream where the National Scenic Buffalo River was dumping into the White. The first day of fishing we stayed in the stained water and I caught around 30 trout. They were mostly rainbow but had a couple of 16-17 inch browns in that area on both days. The Norfork turned on generators on both days at 1:00 p.m. This was going to be our saving grace as "One can wear out the browns when the Norfork is running". Well someone forgot to tell the fish in the Norfork that...LOL. There were 8 of us on this trip and no one caught a single fish up in the crystal clear waters of the Norfork. On Sunday I had requested and the guide went along to go up past the Buffalo River to get into clear water and some fish. After about an hour run we were in clear water and we were catching fish. I was getting rainbows....a few cutthroat and some cut bows. The fishing was going great and somehow the decision was made to head back down stream to muddy water. Never leave a spot you are catching fish....but that is what we did. Caught between 40-50 fish on our last day there. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. The good news is the trout....13-15 inches mostly......put up one heck of a fight and some good aerial displays. On our way back we decided to go by the Trout Magnet operations in Searcy Arkansas. To get there meant we had to take a different route back that neither I or browntrout had ever used. That drive was gorgeous. We learned a lot more about other areas of the White River. We also checked out the Little Red River in Heber Springs. Dropped in on Jeff Smith and spent several hours touring his operation...having lunch...and talking TM stuff and fishing in general. Jeff is really a great guy and visiting his operation is a UL anglers dream. Roy and I both stocked up on TM stuff and headed home. There are some pics of a guy in a Mokai kayak I am posting. First time I have ever seen one. It has a 27 horsepower jet drive inboard...LOL. We saw other yakers on the river and saw a woman and her two kids coming down the Norfork.....which was running some serious water. The mother had a toddler in her lap in the kayak.....an accident waiting to happen. We were glad to see them take out as we left the Norfork and back into the White. Saw quite a few bald eagles. There is a pic of Little Red River and just had to get a shot of "Chicken City" somewhere in Rural Arkansas....LOL. When one is fishing with a guide on the White River there aren't going to be many pics of fish unless it is a real trophy...or I guess if you pushed the issue you could get pics...but they want those fish back in the water fast. Going to start fishing somewhere again tomorrow afternoon. Life is good. One last thing....I did something I have never done in a boat. I always wear my PFD in the kayak but would never wear it fishing from a boat. This trip my PFD was on anytime I was in the boat.....and so was browntrout's. I only saw one other adult on the river with a PFD on. It's just a good habit we all need to get into.

Regards

Travis C.
07-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Still want to get down there one of these days. Sounds like a fun trip.

I seen a couple of those mokai boats put in at bettys one day under a generator. They went upstream but it wasn't very fast. One i didn't think was gonna get around the island.

Pookie
07-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Heber Springs is the only place in Eastern Arkansas not infested with mosquitoes. Some Arkansans vacation in Heber just to get a break from them.

browntrout
07-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Here is a pic of the sunset on the White. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/30/a3agated.jpg

jad2t
07-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Wow that's a beautiful river and great sunset picture. Sounds like you had a good time. I'd love to fish some trout water like that some day.

Alphahawk
07-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Wow that's a beautiful river and great sunset picture. Sounds like you had a good time. I'd love to fish some trout water like that some day.

It is a beautiful river. It was just one of those times the fishing was bad. browntrout has been going out there for 26 years and he said worst fishing he ever had.

Regards

RUGER
10-05-2014, 08:02 AM
I was about to post and ask about the White River and thought I should look around a bit as I figured it had been talked about on here. LOL

I have a couple people on my site that go to the White River quite a bit.
We are in the first stages (talking about it) of planning a trip there with several members.

I am excited about the prospect of going. I actually live about the same distance from there as I do the Caney. :)

Maybe we can plan it where some of ya'll can go the same time.

Alphahawk
10-05-2014, 08:23 AM
I was about to post and ask about the White River and thought I should look around a bit as I figured it had been talked about on here. LOL

I have a couple people on my site that go to the White River quite a bit.
We are in the first stages (talking about it) of planning a trip there with several members.

I am excited about the prospect of going. I actually live about the same distance from there as I do the Caney. :)

Maybe we can plan it where some of ya'll can go the same time.

You may want to reconsider and go to the Little Red. I have been to the White 3 times and I really enjoyed those trips...except this last one. But anyone can have a bad day or two on the water. While I can't speak for browntrout my new trout destination river is the Little Red. browntrout already has another trip booked for July on the Little Red.....and he has been going out to the White for 26 years. The Little Red is awesome. But I can tell you if you take a trip to the White and the water is as it normally is you will have a great time. Both of those rivers the fishing is all about water flow. The thing I liked about the Little Red was plenty of fish....and plenty of big fish also.....and I was able to fish the way I want with 2# test line. While the guides on the White won't tell you that you can't use 2# test they discourage it. They have to work harder on their part if you are using light line. Either way I don't think you will be disappointed. Hundred fish days are common on the White and those numbers are higher on the Little Red. Little Red is much closer too.

Regards

RUGER
10-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I like the color red better anyway. :)

Thanks and we will look at that for sure.

We won't be using a guide at either place.

tcintn
10-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Ruger,
If you want to catch fish and have a truly enjoyable time with a great man,call Lowell at this site. http://www.sorelipemall.com

I have been with him for at least 8 total days and we always catch large numbers. Can not go wrong.

RUGER
10-05-2014, 06:51 PM
tcintn,
That is who I watched on youtube while trying to learn about trout magnets. :)

Thanks.