PDA

View Full Version : Attracting carp

agelesssone
07-28-2014, 09:04 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/29/epuqe8ug.jpg

I'm not a carp fisherman, but I did read an article about carp fishing in the July 2014 edition of In-Fisherman that may be of interest to the carp fishermen discussing this thread.
The previous is a photo I took of the article and copy/pasted into this note. These words are not mine, but are taken directly from the magazine.....

I found the last sentence to be very interesting, leading me to believe that if I were to be chasing carp, it would behoove me to go fishing 4-6 hours after sunset, seeing as how feeding activity was TEN TIMES GREATER then than in the daylight.

TNBronzeback
07-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Alot of guys did the sight fishing/ fly fishing thing on lake michigan for carp....they would cruise the crystal clear shallows like bonefish....pretty interesting how they approached fishing for them.
I never got into the carp fishing with typical gear....i was more involved in the row boat, empty 55 gallon drum, spot light at night and bow in hand method! Lol.
Still fun in its own way though!

XxthejuicexX
07-28-2014, 09:53 PM
What do you do with all the fish you shoot?

TNBronzeback
07-28-2014, 10:09 PM
That was in my Michigan days back in all the marsh's. A friend of mine's uncle had a huge commercial greenhouse, roses mainly so we would take them to him and he would grind them up in his rose dirt and home made fertilizer.
Pretty good deal since just tossing them back after you shot them would get ya in trouble with the game warden! Those guys knew all the usual shooting spots and they would park in the distance and watch with bino's to see if guys kept them or tossed them back.

MNfisher
07-28-2014, 10:45 PM
We used to give them to a pig farmer in MN. The pigs would gorge on them!

lupanfreitag
07-29-2014, 06:53 AM
Find a spot you have seen carp or think would be good and take out aroudn 10 cans of cheap canned sweet corn. Fan it around the boat.
Make sure you mark somehow, GPS best.

Come back in 3-4 days. They will be there. I did that in a creek in Illinois, actually an entire bag of beans. The creek, which was small, was packed with carp. They do remember and if you do this once every two weeks, they will continue to stay in the area.

My biggest was 44 inches. On six pound test. Towards the end I was begging for the line to break.

CreekWalker
07-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Where would ya'll recommend taking carp or gar here in Middle TN?

lupanfreitag
07-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Some of the best spots are creeks. Especially in the summer during low water. If you find a hole, you'll find some big honking carp.

TNBronzeback
07-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Ive seen some pretty good schools of several dozen good size carp in the stones below JPP Dam just walking across the Greenway Footbridge at the mouth.
i dont know for sure if they were all Carp, or some other similar specie like buffalo or anything, but during no, or low generation, they are usually in there getting some sun.