PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor Question

JandSCattleCo
07-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I've found a used (2013) minn Kota power drive v2, 55#, 12v, 54", with foot pedal, copilot and two remotes for 422 shipped to my door. New this package runs $850 at bass pro.

Buddy told me I was nuts for even thinking of spending that.

Would I like to have the anchor lock from the ipilot and all of its capabilities, yes. But that means I'd have to also upgrade my depth finders, etc.

I mostly crappie fish and during the summer long line and troll cranks. I can't do it out the front of the boat but have caught my motor on several occasions. I have rigs to run them out the back now, but can't run TM on the front with rods on the back and run back and forth in the boat.

The TM I have now is an 85 motorguide 37# and it barely pushes the boat against the wind.

Thoughts please?

SAMBOLIE
07-07-2014, 06:22 PM
You did not mention boat size. Unless it is really light I would not buy a 12 volt motor. If I got 12v I would wire two batteries to get longer run time.

JandSCattleCo
07-07-2014, 06:33 PM
I have a 1650 xpress semi v hull. I'm running a 12v 37# now and it moves me but not real well. I figure the 55# should scoot me around good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JandSCattleCo
07-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Anyone know about cutting the shaft down?

Mine is currently a 36" shaft and the 54" will stick way off but it's too good of a deal to pass up.

Buccaneer
07-08-2014, 08:33 AM
You can't cut the shaft length down. Well technically you could if working from the top (head) end and your wire splices were good but I wouldn't try it. A 54" shaft TM is intended for a multi-species type boat like a Lund style hull. My theory on trolling motors is that you can't have enough thrust poundage. For what you are looking at my only question would be whether a 12V single battery system is sufficient. That is a good price however.
Take a look here for potential alternatives - http://www.bbcboards.net/trolling-motors/

Catch & Release
07-08-2014, 09:49 PM
I have a brand new 112lb thrust terrova Ipilot that I cut 10" off the top of the shaft and I love it, I just measured how much I wanted off and marked it with tape and used a hack saw to carefully cut it and then drilled a new hole to mount top back on, it was actually pretty easy to do. You cant tell it has been cut off.
You do have to be careful not to cut to deep because the wires are inside the shaft, but I didnt have any problem and the extra wire I just rolled up in the top cover.

agelesssone
07-09-2014, 07:01 AM
I agree with Catch & Release, it would be pretty easy to cut the shaft down. Just do as he says and be careful not to cut too deep.

Very easy modification.

And, if you have the room, put two batteries in the boat, for longer life.