PDA

View Full Version : Gear

Reel Tune
07-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I admit I have an addiction with gear. I have not gone full blown into JDM, but I have dabbled with some Japanese made gear.

My favorite makers of reels we're Abu Garcia from the late 80's into the mid to late 90's around 96/97 when the Pro Max and Black Max came out. Then I started dabbling in Shimano around 08' when the Curado 200E came out, and here recently within the past two years I have started buying Daiwa reels.

My last two purchases have been the Daiwa Pluton which is a Japan made reel. It has a round larger profile, but is the smoothest, and most solid reel I have ever owned then a few months ago I bought a Daiwa T3 1016HL. This reel is the best casting reel I have owned.

Now I'm not comparing these reels to just any reels. I'm comparing them to the Shimano Core's and Abu Garcia Revos which are all good reels, but the feel and quality of the build of the Daiwa seem far superior.

Now Shimano has released the Metanium, and Antares in the states. I do not have any hands on experience with these two reels, but I'm curious. There are also two reels from Daiwa that I'm interested in the PX Type R, and the Zillion Type R.

I'm interested in more cranking, and worm reels, and wondering if anyone on here has any experience with theses reels from Daiwa or Shimano?

I'm looking to pick up 2 new reels, but have 4 (Metanium, Antares, PX Type R, Zillion Type R) to choose from and looking for anyone that has hands on experience with these 4 reels.