PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lights - Help!!

butts0907
06-30-2014, 03:54 PM
I just recently purchased 2 new submersible lights for my boat trailer. I was hoping it'd be a quick installation since (I thought) the lights were the same. However, they're not.

The existing lights have 3 wires coming from them: brown, yellow, and white. They run through the trailer frame (about 12" of wire) and then go into a 3-pole molded connector. this connector plugs into it's counterpart and that's it. When I ordered the new lights, I was assuming the new lights and wiring would have this same molded connector...but so much for that thought. the wiring on the new lights has a brown, yellow and white on the left/driver side and brown, green and white on the right/passenger side. I'm assuming the white is the ground. And there's no connector.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the connection between the new and the old? I was thinking I'd just put a wire not on and wrap in electrical tape, but didn't think this would be a water-tight connection. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Paul

Buccaneer
06-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Recommend you use heat shrink butt splices or regular butt splices with heat shrink wrapping over the splice - http://www.wiringproducts.com/butt-splices-connectors
retain the existing 3-pole connectors. Splice the wires brown/yellow/white color matching on the left side and brown-brown/green-yellow/white-white on the right side.

butts0907
06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Buccaneer...Thanks for the advice. Can I find the heat shrink splices at an auto parts store or some place like that? I'd really like to get this done before the weekend.

Thanks again!
-Paul

Buccaneer
07-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Yes, auto parts store, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace hardware should all have what you need.

butts0907
07-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Awesome...thanks for the help!

Reel Tune
07-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Buccaneer, thanks for helping Paul out so quickly with good and easy to understand information.