PDA

View Full Version : Calling all mechanics

spottedbass
06-21-2014, 08:39 AM
I have a 1994 60 hp Mariner. I know the battery is hot. When I turn the key all the gauges turn on and when I push the key in I can hear a click at the motor. I am assuming this is the choke being engaged. Nothing else happens when I turn the key. The motor does nothing. I know the motor is okay because it starts super easy with the pull rope and runs great. So is my problem the key switch or the starter on the motor?

Thanks for any help.

pitbull
06-21-2014, 12:45 PM
The choke should only click when the key switch is pushed in, sounds like you're hearing the starter solenoid click when you try and start it. Have someone try and start it while you measure voltage on the starter motor side of the solenoid, if there's 12 volts or so there then your starter is probably bad. Also you may look while its being started and see if what you're hearing is the Bendix on the starter lifting up to engage the flywheel but the motor just isn't turning.

spottedbass
06-21-2014, 03:41 PM
The click only happens when I push the key. When I turn the key..nothing happens. I am no mechanic. I put a meter on the starter and had my wife turn the key. I got nothing on the meter. I can't find the solenoid.

Pookie
06-22-2014, 03:53 AM
I can't find the solenoid.
Trace the cable on the starter back to the solenoid.

spottedbass
06-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Found the solenoid. There is power coming to it. I have my wife turn the key but there is no power coming to the starter. So is the solenoid bad or the switch at the boat? How do I test the solenoid and/or switch?

tkwalker
06-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Found the solenoid. There is power coming to it. I have my wife turn the key but there is no power coming to the starter. So is the solenoid bad or the switch at the boat? How do I test the solenoid and/or switch?

Okay, we know the switch works for the choke position .. Do you have 12 VDC going to the large Battery terminal coming from the battery at the solenoid at all times ... Second question ... When the key is put in the start position and turned to start do you have 12 VDC. on the other side of the Solenoid ... This will be the large battery terminal going to the starter ... ... If not ... 90 % solenoid problem... 10% Ign. switch problem ....

This is how a Sol. works ... When you turn the ign. Key there are two small wires that go to the sol. which pulls in a set of contacts the lets the current flow on the big brother battery cables ... These contacts that pulls in this is a coil ... and that what usually goes out .... <'TK>< :)

spottedbass
06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I went back out to check the switch again and now there is not a click at the motor when I push the key to choke it. So does this change things to 50% solenoid / 50% switch?

Do you have 12 VDC going to the large Battery terminal coming from the battery at the solenoid at all times - YES ... Second question ... When the key is put in the start position and turned to start do you have 12 VDC. on the other side of the Solenoid - NO... This will be the large battery terminal going to the starter ... ... If not ... 90 % solenoid problem... 10% Ign. switch problem ....

tkwalker
06-24-2014, 11:23 PM
I have a 1994 60 hp Mariner. I know the battery is hot. When I turn the key all the gauges turn on and when I push the key in I can hear a click at the motor. I am assuming this is the choke being engaged. Nothing else happens when I turn the key. The motor does nothing. I know the motor is okay because it starts super easy with the pull rope and runs great. So is my problem the key switch or the starter on the motor?

Thanks for any help.

How old is the battery ... ?? <'TK>< ... A starter draws a lot of current ... Remember voltage is the potential ... Current is the actual electron flow ...

spottedbass
06-25-2014, 07:57 AM
When I bypass the solenoid and connect a hot wire from the battery to the starter, the starter works fine. I was able to get a new ignition switch and was going replace the old one. The problem I have now is knowing what wires to attach to which post on the new switch. The new switch is a little different than the old one. I have the schema for the new switch as to which post is supposed to have which wire, I just don't know on my old switch which wire is which. The only ones I know for sure are the hot and ground. I need to find a color code map for the old wires. There is a purple wire, yellow and red wire, black and yellow wire, and orange wire along with the red and black wires.

Pookie
06-25-2014, 08:36 AM
The only ones I know for sure are the hot and ground.
Your starter switch will NOT have a ground going to it. It will only have a hot (red) wire. Think of the solenoid as a faucet, when you turn the key, it allows the juice to flow through it to the actual starter.

pitbull
06-25-2014, 08:47 AM
My stratos key switch actually does have several grounds, they go to the port and starboard kill wires to the cdi box. Understand that is not his problem though. This is hard to do when its days apart, this is an easy thing to trouble shoot though..._

spottedbass
06-25-2014, 10:07 AM
My key switch does have a ground. It has all of these wires: purple wire, yellow and red wire, black and yellow wire, orange wire, red wire and black wire.

I did find a color chart for the wires so I think I am in busy to hook up the new switch.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixmercwiringcodes.html

spottedbass
06-30-2014, 07:13 PM
A new solenoid and a new ignition switch and the motor still does nothing when I turn the key. I can take a hot wire from the battery and put it on the starter and the starter fires up. Could the the gear shift be messed up and the motor is not getting in neutral? I am drawing at straws right now. Any ideas?

Blackdog
06-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Have you checked the kill switch to make sure its good?