PDA

View Full Version : Big Johnson Problems

BMelton
06-19-2014, 02:17 PM
1991 Vision with 1991 Johnson GT 175

Had a little fire under the cowl saturday night. Fire looked to be all under the fly wheel near the rear of the engine. Very small and I got it put out rather quickly. After trailering it home, the next morning I looked at it pretty good, and could find nothing burnt, no melted wires nothing. Only thing I noticed was that the coating material from the stator was gone, so I assume this fueled the flames.

After checking it out good, I decided to try and crank it. It fired right up. I noticed that even though the key is in the off position, the engine and guages all have power going to them. The fuel guage stays on and all guages are lit up, + I don't get the warning horn beep when I turn the key to on like usual.

So I know the stator is toast. I have read that anytime you replace the stator, to replace the regulator/rectifier. So when I replace these parts, do you guys think the ignition problem will be fixed or is that a different problem that coincidently happened after the fire.

Anybody have any knowledge of CDI electronics? I'd like to know if they're any good before I spend $600 on a stator and regulator.

pitbull
06-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I run a cdi kit on my 90 xp200 and love it, out of our whole group my starts the best. Yours I guess is different than my stratos, all gauges and what nots are on a separate power switch than the key, otherwise my electric fuel pump would keep a pumping!

pitbull
06-19-2014, 03:48 PM
And by kit mean stator, timing base and cdi box. Is your reg/rec water cooled? If so you can test it with a meter and if its Good I'd keep it because its a 35 amp unit which is the highest output omc offered on these engines. If you were closer and didn't know how to test it I could show you.

BMelton
06-20-2014, 08:43 AM
I have found the wiring diagram for my control box, and I believe you are right. The ignition switch problem is coincidental. I would be interested in making the drive to lebanon if you would help the diagnosis. I appreciate the offer even if I never make it down there!

pitbull
06-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Just out of curiousity did that boat happen to come from a kid in the brentwood/franklin area? I looked at a vision before I bought my stratos. Anyways, what is your work schedule?

Does your ignition box sit partially under the back of the flywheel on top onf the engine? Kind of a "V" shaped unit? If so it's just like mine, if not shoot me a link to the diagram you found.