PDA

View Full Version : Stren Flurocarbon line

jaysouth
06-18-2014, 10:20 AM
does not work for me on spinning reels. Maybe it's operator error, but I just don't like the stuff.

However, it does make great leaders in 6# and 8# attached to 15# braided line with a nail knot.

This combo works great for me with 1/16th and 1/8th ounce crappie magnet jigs and slider heads with strike indicators. I can cast as far with it as with 6# mono alone. I am using the combo on 4'9" slider rods, 6'6" Trout magnet rods and a light action 6' shimano rod. Using the flurocarbon leader I am catching more fish than ever with slow steady retrieves in ponds and slight twitching in streams.

What's you experience? Is there any room for improvement here?

Travis C.
06-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Same here.

I don't like it either except for leaders. At least the spools I have that is for 12lb fluoro. The line doesn't seem uniform in its shape while running your fingers along it.

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 10:48 AM
I am not sold on any flurocarbon line. I like the co polymer, I think Fluro is just to stiff and I never trust my knots on it.

agelesssone
06-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Jamie at BassPro shop recommends Seaguar. But I only use it on baitcasters and for leaders.

Reel Tune
06-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Seaguar is my recommendation also. I use it on spinning reels and baitcasters. It has very little memory which is what is the trouble with most fluorocarbon lines. It has good abrasion resistance, has less stretch than a lot of fluorocarbons, and is a great all-around line. I use braid most of the time, but for crankin' which I do a lot of it's great. Although it is a little on the pricey side, it's worth it.

CreekWalker
06-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I tie a new 25' fluoro leader to braid on almost every rig for every outing.

I have never liked the seaguar stuff. Could just be that I bought bad spools but the knots don't hold well for me and I've had it snap a few times. I've heard good things but to each his own. I'm not too worried about memory since I retie so often anyways.

Believe it or not I really like the Bass Pro brand just as well as Berkley Trilene.

TNBronzeback
06-18-2014, 12:56 PM
I dont mean to hijack the thread here or anything, but whats the buzz about flourocarbon, looking at the cost comparisons to mono, and the little i know about it, i dont see the connection. I see a pretty good cost increase.
Here is what i know about it, and please, correct me if im wrong, im just curious.

"Invisible" under water= allows you to use heavier line. ( makes sense but unless your going to DH or CH or some other really really clear lake, i dont see the justification for it...my opinion)

Sinks= great for jigs/cranks, but useless on floating topwater isnt it? spook aint no good if the nose is under water right?

Is it really that superior to standard mono in regards to abbrasion resistance to justify the cost?

Ive heard it can be hard to keep certain knots tight, gotta use certain knots with flouro. (ive seen a little of this with some braid too)

Is it a more limp line to allow more natural movements to the bait or something? all the memory talk makes me think it coils like wire on the spool.

Im not a line expert by no means, but ive seen alot of you guys talk about flourocarbon so i figured i would pose these questions, maybe somebody else was thinking these as well.

FYI, the best bargain in line ive found is the blue line that comes on the big, dusty spools from the Kmart bargain bin! Thats all i use! :D

Reel Tune
06-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Dang 25'? I usually tie on a 6' leader and use it until it gets down to a just over 1'. If I'm fishing clear lakes then I'll just go all flouro. Do you moisten your knot before cinching, and what kind of knot do you use to join the two lines? I use a uni to uni.

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 01:15 PM
TNB, It is Invisible and is supposed to be more abrasion resistant. It sinks so it is better for cranks and things like that. What I hear/read is you should tie a San Diego jamb knot or double SDJ. The issue is that the line cuts into it self and if you do not to the correct knot you can have issues. I know guys that tie there normal knots but they retie ofter to makes sure it does not get to weak. I think it's more rigid that mono or a co polymer and I have 3 spools of seagur and have not been that impressed with it. I like the P line Co polymer better. I am not sure about digging through the bargain bin to buy line but to each his own, I change fluro/co polymer ever month and braid ever few months.... i know that it's not necessary but I feel better doing it.

creekcrappie
06-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Copolymer is awesome stuff, I don't even use mono anymore. Fluro is awesome for cranking and I like it for dragging jigs or plastics. I use pline copolymer and basspro xps flurocarbon. I just started using vicious flurocarbon, and it is not bad.

TNBronzeback
06-18-2014, 03:17 PM
TNB, It is Invisible and is supposed to be more abrasion resistant. It sinks so it is better for cranks and things like that. What I hear/read is you should tie a San Diego jamb knot or double SDJ. The issue is that the line cuts into it self and if you do not to the correct knot you can have issues. I know guys that tie there normal knots but they retie ofter to makes sure it does not get to weak. I think it's more rigid that mono or a co polymer and I have 3 spools of seagur and have not been that impressed with it. I like the P line Co polymer better. I am not sure about digging through the bargain bin to buy line but to each his own, I change fluro/co polymer ever month and braid ever few months.... i know that it's not necessary but I feel better doing it.

LMAO...i was totally kidding about where i get my line!
I have nothing riding on the line when i go fishing (tournament/money wise) so i buy for bargain. I get my standard mono in the 1100 yard spools ( i think ) of the BPS brand. No, it doesnt have a long reel life, especially in the heat of summer, but at 9.99 a spool, i can re-spool every 3 weeks if needed and have a spool last for a while, and that line is TOUGH and sensative! ive caught big cats on nothing over 12lb test and never had an issue with strength.
I like the idea of the flourocarbon, but until it drops in price, i do just fine with what im using. i use Power Pro exclusively for river jigging and trolling, love that stuff. And i really havent done the research on co-polymer's to find thier pros/cons for the fishing i do.
Im not knocking anybodys line or beliefs in thier chosen weapon, i was just looking for some thoughts on it...lots of guys on here use some brand of it though!

Travis C.
06-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Near invisible. Water has a light refractive index of 1.3 while fluoro has an index of 1.4 and mono a whopping 1.5

It is more abrasion resistant than mono but that all depends on the quality of raw materials used in the fluoro.

Both lines will stretch and that along with diameter-to-lb-test plays into the limpness of a line. Some mono's and fluoro's can have a 40%-50% stretch. That is going to take away from your limpness and sensitivity. Since there is no market standard for diameter-to-lb-test standard it is hard to gauge one to the other on all equal terms.

I personally don't feel that unless I miss out on enough bites to warrant a change. The only exception may be the Caney but there have been plenty of times where that hasn't changed either. None of my fly fishing leaders are fluoro.

Like most things in life I guess get the best of what you can afford to get the job you need done to your satisfaction.

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 03:46 PM
My grandfather fishes the cheapest mono he can, always has always will and does just fine. I refuse to fish anything Berkley, I have broken more fish off in one night with Trilene than any other line. I also can not stand the braid they make.

TNBronzeback
06-18-2014, 04:11 PM
My grandfather fishes the cheapest mono he can, always has always will and does just fine. I refuse to fish anything Berkley, I have broken more fish off in one night with Trilene than any other line. I also can not stand the braid they make.

Up until the past 5 years +/- we always used Trilene....you couldnt get me to use stren if you paid me to do so, now recently, the past 5 years or so, ive not had good luck with trilene which made me try the BPS brand and ive used it since.
Never a good sign when ya grab a box of fishing line, and not only does the box top have dust on it, but so does the spool of line inside the box! LOL...my experience anyways.

jaysouth
06-18-2014, 05:39 PM
For 6 to 12 lb mono, I cannot tell that any of the premiums like Stren beat the BP Excell. Plus it's cheap enough that you can change it several times per season.

I am losing feel in my finger tips, I bought one of these at BP and learned how to use it. I have never had knot fail, whether leader to braid or mono to mono since I began using it. There was a time when feel and eyesight were good enough, but now I need this and reading glasses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611JWRtkjOc&feature=kp

It really does a better job than a blood knot when joining 2# leader to 2# SOS mono and makes a great fluro leader to braid connection.

Travis C.
06-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Copolymer is awesome stuff, I don't even use mono anymore. Fluro is awesome for cranking and I like it for dragging jigs or plastics. I use pline copolymer and basspro xps flurocarbon. I just started using vicious flurocarbon, and it is not bad.

Funny you bring up Vicious in this thread. They prior to becoming Vicious had done the spooling and R&D for Stren line the whole time Stren belonged to DuPont. After DuPont pulled out they lost the contract to continue producing it. It wasn't too long after that they became Vicious making their own and distributing it. I believe it is still US made in Alabama.

MNfisher
06-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Travis you know more random fishing related facts than probably all of us combined! Well done!

Mike

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 11:12 PM
travis you know more random fishing related facts than probably all of us combined! Well done!

Mike

x2

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 11:20 PM
For 6 to 12 lb mono, I cannot tell that any of the premiums like Stren beat the BP Excell. Plus it's cheap enough that you can change it several times per season.

I am losing feel in my finger tips, I bought one of these at BP and learned how to use it. I have never had knot fail, whether leader to braid or mono to mono since I began using it. There was a time when feel and eyesight were good enough, but now I need this and reading glasses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611JWRtkjOc&feature=kp

It really does a better job than a blood knot when joining 2# leader to 2# SOS mono and makes a great fluro leader to braid connection.

That is a pretty sweet tool. I might buy one just for my braid to co polymer knots.

Travis C.
06-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Travis you know more random fishing related facts than probably all of us combined! Well done!

Mike

Thanks, my wife tends to use another word for it instead of facts.

Travis C.
06-19-2014, 08:12 AM
That is a pretty sweet tool. I might buy one just for my braid to co polymer knots.

x2

I need to get me one because mail nail knots suck.

MNfisher
06-19-2014, 09:09 AM

Haha!

Mike

jaysouth
06-19-2014, 12:17 PM

Why can't women just recognize true genius when they encounter it?

Why can't they recognize fishing as valid an art form as sculpture or oil painting. Some of us are far more creative than other artists using other media.