PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Illinois

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 08:50 AM
So I know this is a long shot but I am going to Illinois the first week of August to make the wife happy and see her family... and I am looking for fishing spots around Champaign/Urbana Area. I will probably take the yak if I can find any spots because the bass boat cost to much to pull that far. Any one from up that way and could guide me to some waters?

TNBronzeback
06-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Yup! head about 2 hours north to the southern tip of lake michigan!
get in on some of that salmon and trout action on the BIG water.

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Yup! head about 2 hours north to the southern tip of lake michigan!
get in on some of that salmon and trout action on the BIG water.

I noticed that on the map but I would have to take the bass boat at that point and then I am looking at a $600 fuel bill just driving, and that's if I only make one trip the the lake.

Reel Tune
06-18-2014, 11:29 AM
If it were me, I would travel a little north and check out some of the less pressured smallmouth rivers and creeks that also hold good populations of largemouth.

Fish Whisperer
06-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Lake Shelbyville can produce some good fish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNBronzeback
06-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Yeah thats not a day trip, i was only kidding.
There are plenty of smaller ponds around there and a few bigger inland lakes east and west, not sure if any of them are privatized or not...but i would do what jeremy suggested and head a little farther north and hit the rivers/streams. Should be loaded with smallies and rockbass willing to crush some baits.

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 12:51 PM
I have been looking a little and there is lake of the woods about 10 minutes away along with some other smaller lakes. There is one creek/river than runs through the area that looks really promising. I have a feeling I will be fishing about every day, when we go up I never have anything to do so I sit around and read all day. We usually only go up for Christmas. Thanks for all the help guys, I was not expecting so many people to know about fishing that area.

Fish Whisperer
06-18-2014, 02:06 PM
The Shelbyville tail race is good too... I had what would have been my biggest musky on but didn't have a leader and lost it.

XxthejuicexX
06-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Is it possible to land a musky using only 65lb braided line? I catch gar that way without them biting through it.

MNfisher
06-19-2014, 05:43 AM
Is it possible to land a musky using only 65lb braided line? I catch gar that way without them biting through it.

If he takes the bait in and his teeth hit the line....not a chance. We always used solid strand titanium leaders or 150-180 lb flouro leader. Their teeth are like razors.

Mike

agelesssone
06-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Lake Sara in Effingham has big bass and big crappie.

XxthejuicexX
06-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Lake Sara in Effingham has big bass and big crappie.

Could I fish it out of a kayak effectively?

Fish Whisperer
06-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Could I fish it out of a kayak effectively?

Yes. It's about an hour south of where you'll be, but Merv is correct about the bass and crappie. I usually stay at Anthony Acres when I go up there.

XxthejuicexX
06-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Yes. It's about an hour south of where you'll be, but Merv is correct about the bass and crappie. I usually stay at Anthony Acres when I go up there.

I might check it out one day. I am looking at a few lakes in the area to fish. I am going to try and mount that 5 to the kayak for this trip so I have sonar available.

XxthejuicexX
06-19-2014, 10:12 AM
So, I think I have plenty of locations now. I am looking at Clinton lake, and then the tail waters of the lake also. Lake of the Woods will be fished, it's smaller and closer and then maybe Decatur. I will have plenty of time on my hands to try different locations.

Heiny57
06-20-2014, 07:57 AM
Clinton is heavily fished, try deep and slow. The water will be very hot in August. (power plant cooling)

XxthejuicexX
06-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Clinton is heavily fished, try deep and slow. The water will be very hot in August. (power plant cooling)

I noticed the power plant cooling, I was going to fish up that way. Maybe I should try it this December when I go back out to Illinois :) I am going to fish the tail race at lake Shelbyville after reading about it and talking to Fish Whisperer